Data sense

Mroofieunblockm

Jul 4, 2013
Visit site
Just got my Lumia 925 today, and I have to say that the new Data Sense app is awesome. But gosh, one has to wonder, what the hell is MS doing. We all know this kind of rants are abundant and lead to very little. But! we are all supporting this WP platform (I changed from iPhone 3GS to Lumia 800 > 920 > 925) and sometimes I really wonder if they even care? There was something very similar in WP7 (way more simple ok, Counters), they took it away in WP8, but announced data sense...10 months ago if i''m not mistaken when they announced WP8. And yet it only comes now, in selected phones...
Such a long time to implement such simple features. come the hell on guys, hurry up and get these features out! And I don't even mean proper ones, like notification center and the likes...i mean basic functionality!

/rant

dude come on !!!

Chris_Kez

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
MS has said that Data Sense will not be available on all carriers, most recently on the Windows Phone blog post detailing GDR 2.

While MS originally described Data Sense during the WP8 launch as both a data compression and data monitoring tool, it seems they have decoupled those features and created a Data Sense that lacks the compression feature. My guess is that this version focused on just tracking is what will be more widely released.

What is not clear is whether carrier support is required for technical or business reasons, and how broadly this feature will be rolled out.

Neeraj Mathur

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
I see a lot of ppl online complaining that they did not get Data Sense even after installing GDR 2 and that it is a carrier dependent feature. My L820 "unlocked" ( running OS version 8.01.10211.20 and firmware rev 1232.5957.1308.0001) had it working out of the box. Even before putting a sim card and also works perfectly on Vodafone India network.

Mroofieunblockm

Jul 4, 2013
Visit site
MS has said that Data Sense will not be available on all carriers, most recently on the Windows Phone blog post detailing GDR 2.

While MS originally described Data Sense during the WP8 launch as both a data compression and data monitoring tool, it seems they have decoupled those features and created a Data Sense that lacks the compression feature. My guess is that this version focused on just tracking is what will be more widely released.

What is not clear is whether carrier support is required for technical or business reasons, and how broadly this feature will be rolled out.

we know that already but Microsoft doesn't take into mind how long it will take to give everyone data sense.
They could atleast give us the option to the data sense that some unlocked phones have -_-

warmth

Aug 13, 2012
Visit site
I guess Data Sense was one of those apps the carriers would have control over but never imagine the complete removal of it from the update since it's a tool just for measuring an approximated consume due to the manual setup and the lack of connection with the real network system of each carrier. I'm very disappointed that I waited for so long to have this app and now I can't have it because it can't be downloaded. Thanks Vodafone Spain for ruining the experience of my Nokia Lumia 920.

BTW, Microsoft just updated the How-To: "Not all mobile operators offer Data Sense.", http://www.windowsphone.com/en-us/how-to/wp8/start/use-data-sense-to-track-data-usage

Any solution?

Original posts: No Data Sense in Amber (GDR2) update : Nokia & No Data Sense in Amber (GDR2) update : windowsphone

smoledman

Banned
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
As a software engineer, Data Sense to me describes an web-service API that the carrier would have to provide for WP OS to call to get the latest data-cap consumption(total and per app). My feeling is AT&T didn't want to spend the money just for Windows Phones, when they already have an AT&T app for all customers. I know it sucks, but that's reality. Microsoft doesn't have the weight in the industry.

AndyCalling

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
I can confirm that when I got DataSense with GDR2 it showed history from before I updated and is certainly not using my carrier's figures (as they exclude certain traffic that's provided for free). This shows that the data was there all along and MS were just suppressing it. I assume as a sweetener for carriers so they would push the phones and get more money from customers. The idea that it is technically carrier dependent is rubbish. This has just been done for extra profit.

Keefo

Aug 2, 2011
Visit site
Can anyone tell me why System has used up over 700mb of my data...
Just installed the amber update nd looked at it on data sense and its rite at the bottom...

John20212

Feb 27, 2012
Visit site
I am really pissed off that ATT is still blocking Data Sense, Microsoft needs to sort this stuff out and stop the damn carrier blocking of WP8 features.

player801

Sep 27, 2013
Visit site
_Was_ with AT&T since the original flip-phone days – No longer. Blocking the Data Sense app is just plain GREED personified by corporate AT&T! Avarice Through & Through!
Our AT&T branded Nokia Lumia 520 came with the GDR2/Amber update installed, mid-August 2013.
The phone and apps are excellent! But, no Data Sense. Research the Web = it's all on AT&T.
Decided to buy a Nokia Lumia 521, and now moving on to a T-Mobile MVNO. Much better rates and, Data Sense is operational and fully supported!
Goodbye AT&T!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oliveeAria