Design of 950 & 950XL and W10M not good?

Novanglus

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
Agreed. The black one reminds me of my Bowers & Wilkins CM8 speakers. Definitely will pick the XL up in black. Looks good. I like my current 640 which I got as a placeholder til the 950s came out. The 950 should fix everything I miss about my iPhone without supporting the SJWs at Apple.

bo_woods

Aug 14, 2014
Visit site
Plain and simple, they're uninspired. This is basically the same design they used two years ago with the Lumia 1520. Sure, the 1520 is s a nice looking phone, some might even say it's a great looking phone, but it's time for something new. People want something to get excited about. A rehash of a two year old design isn't exciting.

Personally I was hoping for a more refined Lumia 930 (which might be what their new mid-range phones look like). It's boxy, it's unique, and it's looks great sitting next to a Surface tablet.

I agree with you about the 930 stuff... But hold on... The 1520 was beautiful and doesn't at all look like these 950 renders other than having a black front and camera bumps... The 1520 was pointed, had a simple camera design, a plain simple back, small top & bottom bezels with capacitive buttons, complete unibody polycarbonate, and these p

Jezza

May 8, 2015
Visit site
I love the looks of these phones! I love the rounded corners and the sleek design of the 950. Idk what everyone's deal is. And to be honest everyone says the ICON and the 930 were great, but they are terrible.
1. The phones are hard to hold because of the corners and the slippery aluminum
2. The battery life sucks.
3. The phone is constantly hot.
4. The screen has problems with response to touch around the edges of the touch screen.
5. And last but not least the dang aluminum is so easy to dent.

I'm ready for the new Lumia 950 LIKE NOW!!! <3

I agree with many of these statements. Whilst the edges on the 930 looks nice, it does detract from the comfort and I've heard many others saying the same. The lack of a removable battery is the sole reason (other than the SD card slot) I would go for an 830 over a 930, if you're stuck in a rut without a charger, having a spare battery is far more compact and handy than having to plug in a power bank to recharge your phone. I wouldn't know about the response issues, but I agree about aluminium denting. I haven't owned an aluminium phone since the original iPhone for that reason.

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
I agree with you about the 930 stuff... But hold on... The 1520 was beautiful and doesn't at all look like these 950 renders other than having a black front and camera bumps... The 1520 was pointed, had a simple camera design, a plain simple back, small top & bottom bezels with capacitive buttons, complete unibody polycarbonate, and these p

So it looks slightly different? I know, I agree. It was the second sentence I typed. Hence why I used the word basically and not exactly. The differences between the two aren't enough to call it a new design. People want a new design. They want something fresh. Maybe you disagree, but nothing about those renders say fresh to me.

Summer_Moon

Sep 16, 2014
Visit site
Wow.... this has been quite a huge response to a render. Also as someone else pointed out, those upset are more likely to be vocal. However, that also means more people are upset because they are much more vocal than usual. I think the last time I saw this large volume of responses was to the HTC M9 leak. Honestly, I thought the M9 looked great and was hoping they would eventually put Windows 10 Mobile onto it. But apparently I do not have what it takes to be a "contemporary design critiquer".

But the point I want to make is didn't Microsoft say they just want to provide a reference point for what Windows 10 Mobile can do? They want other OEMs to step in and fill in design gaps. It wouldn't make sense for Microsoft to design the best phone and then ask OEMs to try and do better. Microsoft has already said they don't plan on making any money from selling phones. It's just a reference for other OEMs to understand why they should build Windows Phones.

With that being said I do plan on picking up the 950 XL. It has everything I want with the exception of not having a 41mp camera. But speed kinda outweighs the mp in my view and the 1020 is a tad too slow. To me I like the design although I wish they would just make the device thicker and pack in a bigger battery to make the camera flush with the device (that's what I wish they had done with the 1020). Obviously I am in the minority for wanting thicker devices, but whatever it's my design choice and nobody else has to agree with it. For me the camera means everything, I can do without the thinness. I also want an excellent screen which the 950 XL will have.

Not only that, but this is a render, everybody just take a deep breath and wait for the official announcement. We've waited 2+ years surely we can wait another month.

talon38c

Aug 19, 2013
Visit site
Seriously, all phones are similarly shaped rectangular slabs. Inspiration peaked long ago. Today the real inspiration and journey begins when you press the On button.

OldAndBusted

Aug 7, 2012
Visit site
Small request please... stop talking in acronyms. This isn't specifically directed at you, but anybody that just assumes I will understand what every acronym you use will mean. Thanks for listening.

BMAG21

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
You know, the back cases will be removable, I bet after all this arguments MS (or a smart third party) will release metal cases for those who want a high-end looking phone, might be an extra expense, but you'll get what you want and it'll look better.

Why doesn't someone render them with a metal case to give us an idea?

kazushikawashima

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
Disappointing and ugly. It has lost the classic design of the 920 and 1520. After being with lumia, I think it is time for me to switch brand, like samsung edge. Microsoft, what have you done?

Mark Richey

Dec 18, 2012
Visit site
Word it is polycarbonate, not "cheap plastic."

First, we have no idea these renders are the actual release of the phones. With regard to design, Nokia has been a little schizophrenic, bouncing from the curved to the sharp corners. Releasing phones with and without the aluminum band. I did love my 920, but sport a 930 now and it screams premium look by comparison. But neither is perfect and I have had issues holding both, overheating of the 930, and poor battery life on both, often fixed by firmware or a reset.

Not sure these phones will make a statement as it seems everyone wants. However, they will be ready for Windows Hello, Continuum and seem to sport hefty batteries and decent storage with MicroSD. Many of these things users have been shouting about for years. Hopefully gone are the days of 4GB handsets that allowed 64GB added storage while a flagship like the 1520 on a major carrier was stuck with 16GB and no expanded storage. Another example is the 1020. Who in their right mind decided to put a 41MP camera in a phone with no expanded storage???

Don't get me wrong. I am loving my current Windows Phones, and I am even rocking the latest W10 build on my daily driver with only a handful of inconveniences and issues. But really, Apparently the squared corners did not attract that many customers, and a more generic, but stylish look might just win the day. I do think for once there will be some takers for Windows Mobile. We'll see. If not these, the maybe the fabled Surface Phone.

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, all companies that got slammed for rehashing designs. I see no reason why MS shouldn't be treated the same.

And guess what? They were slammed mostly by non fans of the particular OS. Most fans were fine with the designs and not whining like children. They also weren't whining over low quality renders. At least they had legit proof of the designs in actual pictures and videos.

Kram Sacul

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
Plain and simple, they're uninspired. This is basically the same design they used two years ago with the Lumia 1520. Sure, the 1520 is s a nice looking phone, some might even say it's a great looking phone, but it's time for something new. People want something to get excited about. A rehash of a two year old design isn't exciting.

Personally I was hoping for a more refined Lumia 930 (which might be what their new mid-range phones look like). It's boxy, it's unique, and it's looks great sitting next to a Surface tablet.

No way. The 1520 was a lot better looking. The 950/950XL look more like bloated versions of the 640/640XL.

The 930 is a brick with a metal band around it. An extremely derivative and safe design. Basically a wannabe Galaxy S4 which was a wannabe iPhone 4. A nicer and classier version of those but still unoriginal.

RayWP7

Dec 10, 2010
Visit site
I don't agree with the intensity of this critique. But, so it goes with subjective matters. The phones always look different than held in hand - and these are "leaked" photos. Having said that, since everyone has an opinion, I'll offer mine:

1. I don't believe these leaked photos are the final look
2. If they are, they will be more svelte than they appear
3. If the exteriors are plastic, then they should have texture to them and be able to absorb impact - there should be some reason for selecting such a material. The 640s look nice for what they are (my family owns one), but they are clearly in the budget tier. If they make shells that can be replaced with premium options, then that would make sense.
4. As a fickle consumer, I am kind of over the polycarbonate shiny bright stuff. I'd still buy a red phone, but on premium line, they should be metallic - despite the fact that metallic is IMPRACTICAL: you will cover it or it will scratch
5. I kind of liked the metal band on the 830 (own one) but as I mention in (4), the paint on the metal does wear
6. Sharp corners are not comfortable (i.e. 1520 - I also owned one)
7. I loathe camera lenses that protrude from the shell, unless the lens itself is recessed within a protruding fixture. Otherwise, they are hard to protect.

bo_woods

Aug 14, 2014
Visit site
I like the more simple look... I actually like the simple look of the front of the 950&950xl in these renders, just like the on the 640xl....
I just don't think they should've went with on screen buttons, if they weren't going to go for a smaller bottom bezel....
The backs of the devices are what are really ugly... They lack simplicity completely and look like tacky midrange androids... It's not even just one or two individual details, its how it all comes together that make these devices ugly...
Hopefully what we see in October looks attractive and proves alot of us wrong

bo_woods

Aug 14, 2014
Visit site
But these really are just renders... The ICON/930 renders presented what appeared to be a downright HIDEOUS device too, but in actual photos, when you see the curves, and gloss of the glass, and yada yada yada, the phone really looks beautiful...

If the 930 was like 8.5mm instead of 9+ then I think it would be the most beautiful windows phone out next to the 925 and 1520

bo_woods

Aug 14, 2014
Visit site
Really wish we could get something like the 925 design... This ad nearly made me drool... Sad that Lumia flagships never even really got their ads played in the u.s.... How do u not advertise ur product and then wonder why no one knows about it?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTXmgM1YEB0

The 950 & 950xl will probably join the past Lumias and barely get to taste the national tv airwaves

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cagkles124