Desktop or Laptop what do you use for PC gaming?

mase123987

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
I don't like the idea of having liquid inside the desktop, or anywhere near it!

What happen if I forget to put the cap on the system or a pipe breaks, my desktop will be in PC heaven.

That is the thing about the all in one units. You don't have to fill anything or mess with anything! It is ready to go out of the box! If you can screw a fan to the chassis and put a heat sink on the processor, then you can do it.

BIGPADDY

Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
That is the thing about the all in one units. You don't have to fill anything or mess with anything! It is ready to go out of the box! If you can screw a fan to the chassis and put a heat sink on the processor, then you can do it.

Your slowly convincing me, is there warranty if it breaks your computer?

mase123987

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
Your slowly convincing me, is there warranty if it breaks your computer?

To be honest, I don't know. I did read a review of one in which the reviewers said that theirs leaked and the maker paid for everything that broke. I would just read the warranty before you buy one to know for sure.

ImmortalWarrior

Apr 30, 2011
Visit site
I have a crazy amount of fans in my desktop. And I don't trust the idea of liquid cooling. The amount of times I have to move my PC about to fix things (I have major dust problems in my room), the cooling solution wouldn't last 3 months before it destroyed my pc through liquid damage.

Distilled water doesn't conduct electricity. With the watercooling additive it adds anti fungal, anti-algae, anti-corrosion and chemicals that make the water even less conductive on the off chance minerals find their way into your system. I've had a spill before, didn't even notice and it caused no damage.

Ed Boland

Retired Ambassador
Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Oh, I didn't even realize this was a Poll thread till I viewed it on a PC... was posting from my Nokia 920 and the WPC App! lol

Voted for Desktop for gaming!

Daniel Ratcliffe

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
Distilled water doesn't conduct electricity. With the watercooling additive it adds anti fungal, anti-algae, anti-corrosion and chemicals that make the water even less conductive on the off chance minerals find their way into your system. I've had a spill before, didn't even notice and it caused no damage.

Still, I don't trust it, and even if I did, my mum won't allow it. With the 5 or so fans in there currently, it's absolutely fine. And they aren't even that noisy (well I've not noticed it on stream when I watched my live stream back, which is all that matters).

VegaNovus

Nov 5, 2012
Visit site
Desktop, 100%

Laptops have always been a problem for me.

Limited upgrade path, can't have 2 hard drives in most laptops, which means if you fit an SSD, it has to be 500GB+, screen can't be changed easily, crappy keyboard etc etc

But here's my PC specs.

2x Acer monitors.
24" and 19"
5.1 speakers (creative)
My chair also has a 2.1 wireless speaker system.

I've got a cheap Xenta keyboard (I don't like spending massive money on keyboards)
Sharkoon Mouse (This one) I HIGHLY recommend this mouse.

Inside we got;
ASUS P8Z68
i5-2310 Got it overclocked to 3.1GHz atm.
16GB RAM 4x 4GB
Samsung 830 SSD (256GB) - this is the item that turned my PC into a beast.
2TB Western Digital HDD
Cheap, standard card reader.
MSI 6850.

The only problem with having an SSD is that my user area takes up the space quickly, so I created a mirror link to my HDD.

David Best

Feb 17, 2013
Visit site
i have....
i5-2400 @3.10GHz
8GB ram
2 geforce gtx 660 TI 4GB SLI
Blu-ray drive
3TB hdd (1 TB just for games)
22" screen
R.a.t 5
Logitech G510 keyboard
and a Belkin N52te

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
i have....
i5-2400 @3.10GHz
8GB ram
2 geforce gtx 660 TI 4GB SLI
Blu-ray drive
3TB hdd (1 TB just for games)
22" screen
R.a.t 5
Logitech G510 keyboard
and a Belkin N52te

n52te user! Same here! :D

Bought it like.. 5 years ago for WoW, wouldn't bother playing PC games without it anymore. Nowadays I use it for all games, MMORPGs, shooters, you name it :p

When this one breaks, definitely gonna get something similar.

Anyways, my setup:

AMD Phenom II x6 1090T @ 3,5ghz
8gb of DDR3 1333mhz
Sapphire Radeon 7850 2GB OC
23" screen
Razer Imperator
Belkin n52te

Jaskys

Banned
Jan 23, 2013
Visit site
My PC rig
i5-3770k
8GB ram
Nvidia GTX 770
1TB WD HDD
23-24" screen
Logitech g9x
Some oldass keyboard from local store.

Aswell you can check my games in my steam profile below(HINT:You need to click on signature, you can add me if you really want to aswell so we might trade cards or something in future)

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
I stopped playing PC games a while ago (play a few from the Windows Store still). I use my PC from my bed, while connected to my TV, so it's a less-than-ideal gaming setup, to say the least. I played WoW on a laptop before I built my desktop, and I can say with great certainty that it's not a great experience. I played that, Plants Vs. Zombies, Counter-Strike: Global Offensive, Team Fortress 2, and a little bit of Urban Terror (a standalone game that was originally a Quake III: Team Arena mod that I played as a kid). Once I did a clean install of Windows 8, it just wasn't worth the time to reinstall Steam and my games over 3Mbps DSL, considering the 150GB data cap AT&T puts on its DSL, along with the fact that I simply wasn't playing games much. However, we just got Comcast (25 Mbps with a 250GB cap) a bit over a week ago, so I might reinstall them now that it won't take a week to do.

Laptops just don't do it for me, though. The one I had ran REALLY hot, and they're too cramped for my liking. I hate trackpads as well. I think I'd be more likely to get a hybrid device, if I even get another mobile computer.

gsquared

Jun 26, 2011
Visit site
I can say the same as most of the other folks have. I assembled my own desktop machine for gaming. I've had it for a few years now. I haven't seen any reason to upgrade it from a hardware perspective. I did just add an SSD which really gave it quite a boost. I also upgraded the OS to Win 8 Pro when it was onsale at release. Before that I ran Vista. Still not sure why Vista has such a bad rep. I never had any issues with it. Other than that I swap-out the keyboard/mouse now and then.

garak0410

Jan 8, 2009
Visit site
I've been playing a lot of games on my Surface and while they do default to LOW details, they are quite playable .

However, it was time to upgrade my video card on my desktop. It was a Geforce 8500 GT. I went to a GeForce GTX 650 Ti 2GB and I've been blown away by it...can't believe I went this long without upgrading. Now, my video card is no longer the lowest "Windows Experience" rating...(though that will mean nothing in windows 8.1)

index1366

May 3, 2011
Visit site
Desktop of course, it offers extensive hardware customization and the one-of-many-very-important-features: customizable and of course much much better cooling, which can be customized by adding more vents, even a liquid cooling system upgrade, which the laptop doesn't allow.
My PC is almost 7 years old, and it still runs CoD4 and L4D2 fairly smooth, I mean so smooth, that it offers a decent gameplay (not constant 60fps, but it's okay :D).

I'd definitely choose a desktop over a laptop for gaming. Laptops are for travelling, office work, browsing, and much other stuff, just not for gaming, although they're being built also for that.

gedzum

Jan 31, 2012
Visit site
Thinking about it, I would like to have an option to game on a laptop. It's pretty hot over here right now and it gets exceedingly hot in my room, so having that option to move to a cooler room would have been nice. But alas, I tough it out in that heat :wink:

Still, I don't trust it, and even if I did, my mum won't allow it. With the 5 or so fans in there currently, it's absolutely fine. And they aren't even that noisy (well I've not noticed it on stream when I watched my live stream back, which is all that matters).

Reminds me when I told my mum I wanted to build my own PC. She just gave me that look like "but can you do it??" No doubt her reaction would be just as astonished if I told her I want to put a water cooling loop in my rig.

Daniel Ratcliffe

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
Reminds me when I told my mum I wanted to build my own PC. She just gave me that look like "but can you do it??" No doubt her reaction would be just as astonished if I told her I want to put a water cooling loop in my rig.

Haha, I know the feeling. The main bottleneck for me is broadband speed. Everything else works well, and I would love to stream at higher bitrates.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shelton786