DEVELOPERS please consider! VOIP/SIP client for Windows Phone. Sample code provided!

ChMar

Mar 15, 2013
Visit site
So, develop your app so that I can push my own notifications and push the cost off to me as an option. I can use EC2 or my own gear.

I use voip.ms, which is highly regarded, and very cheap.

Can't be done. App is made at the same time with the server cloud component(I would personaly choose azure platform because of some mobile stuff allready implemented there). It's not something you do 1 hour a day after work. It's a full time project. And the testing involved (multiple phones, combinations of wi-fi or celular data, voip accounts with money on them) after the development is enourmous. 6 month full time job. You must have and risk a lot of money and time (take time off from job etc) just to find people are not buying and demand a free version (which they mostly use with notifications so your app is not viewed and so can't be sustained with adds).

As I stated I see only 2 ways for this to be done. Either crowd funding for development and testing or going for the nokia app campus route and hope they aprove such an project.

mister2d

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
Thanks. I appreciate you explaining it further. Although I am not a developer, I do not subscribe to the "can't be done" mentality. Something creative should be possible to defray development costs.

Also, keep in mind, a full on VOIP client isn't targetted at the whatsapp, viber, tango, crowd. A VOIP client would be more appropriate for business. There is a market out there. I think it just has to be explored and put out there a bit better.

Windows Phone in the business workplace would certainly help. What's interesting is that Symbian phones had a voip client built in.

mobiledivide

Feb 19, 2013
Visit site
Thank you ChMar for the clear replies. I am surprised that neither Microsoft nor Nokia have thought of SIP as a must have built in app. I would think there is a business case for this...

ChMar

Mar 15, 2013
Visit site
Thanks. I appreciate you explaining it further. Although I am not a developer, I do not subscribe to the "can't be done" mentality. Something creative should be possible to defray development costs.

Also, keep in mind, a full on VOIP client isn't targetted at the whatsapp, viber, tango, crowd. A VOIP client would be more appropriate for business. There is a market out there. I think it just has to be explored and put out there a bit better.

Windows Phone in the business workplace would certainly help. What's interesting is that Symbian phones had a voip client built in.

It's not about creativity to defrain cost. It's about development budget and risk. A quality app and not a nother flip coin app takes full-time comitment, money and equpiment. And when I said it can't be done I was refering about using a client cloud for push notifications so you get the costs cut down. That is not a solution because of how the platform works, alot of techo bable :)

Microsoft is trying to do less 1st party apps so that 3rd party developers have room to create their solutions. That has allways been their aproach(minus office suite and some CRM attempt) to make the os the development tools and create oportunities for other to win on their platform. Because they can just sell the platform. So I doubt they will ever make a SIP client so it's up to third party developers.

If enough people are interested about this I'll make an app campus application for development budget at nokia. But I must have some ideea first of how big a demand is for such an app.

mister2d

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
It's not about creativity to defrain cost. It's about development budget and risk. A quality app and not a nother flip coin app takes full-time comitment, money and equpiment. And when I said it can't be done I was refering about using a client cloud for push notifications so you get the costs cut down. That is not a solution because of how the platform works, alot of techo bable :)

Microsoft is trying to do less 1st party apps so that 3rd party developers have room to create their solutions. That has allways been their aproach(minus office suite and some CRM attempt) to make the os the development tools and create oportunities for other to win on their platform. Because they can just sell the platform. So I doubt they will ever make a SIP client so it's up to third party developers.

If enough people are interested about this I'll make an app campus application for development budget at nokia. But I must have some ideea first of how big a demand is for such an app.

Now that this thread has moved to the Developer's Corner, techno babble is encouraged. Although I'm not a developer, I am an engineer and I work with them. :)

Anyway, there is minimal interest so far. I would definitely buy one license. There is another post here stating they are ready to buy 100 licenses. I don't know how much hyperbole is in that statement though. :)

What is involved in Nokia app campus application? Any money needed?

ChMar

Mar 15, 2013
Visit site
Now that this thread has moved to the Developer's Corner, techno babble is encouraged. Although I'm not a developer, I am an engineer and I work with them. :)

Anyway, there is minimal interest so far. I would definitely buy one license. There is another post here stating they are ready to buy 100 licenses. I don't know how much hyperbole is in that statement though. :)

What is involved in Nokia app campus application? Any money needed?

The amount needed is not known. The company developer license and some money for a trip in finland. But to be able to atract those money you need to have some numbers at your side. And a monetization plan.

There are incuring costs and having the app as one time payment is not healty. Let's forget about the anual cost of the developer account. Devending on the volume of users you incur the cloud cost. And I think you also need to add data only (no sip) voip and video conference and basic chat functionality and file transfer to have see wide adoption. Otherwise 1 time payment will not cover the cloud montly cost in the end.

About using own client cloud solution for this:
1. Make the cloud component open source and available in a something that can be install on most cloud solution (node.js). People may need assistance for installing and provideing support for such a task is a logistic nightmare.
2. Accept the fact that you will only have 500 notifications per day (security certificate $200 / year) that can't be provided with the open source solution.

So in the end is too much of a hasle to outsource the cloud in the client infrastructure

And here relies the problem. It's so easy now to have free voip (skype, tango, etc) and there are skype and google voice for phone comunications. Yes some sip have cheaper costs but I'm not sure there is a need for sip solutions. I used sip on android for calls in europe for a month and managed to convince the other person to just grab a smartphone and use skype.

Jody Nesbitt

May 25, 2013
Visit site
hi

@Andrew120,
If you are still interested, we have our own Asterisk based PBX, and I am willing to contribute hardware and infrastructural to get this done.

Jody

GManNAtl

Jun 19, 2013
Visit site
I think everyone here is wildly underestimating the need for this and at the same time over thinking the whole thing as well.

Do you realize how many installed SIP compliant PBX's there are right now? The installed base is in the millions easy, and only one SIP client for WP called OctroTalk. This current app does basically what most of us would want which is to just create a manual SIP connection to our IP-PBX's. The only problem with this app is that it is not using the newest API's which integrate into the native phone client. It also only works on speaker etc. Basically, it just doesn't have tight integration to the OS. They actually are calling for help with this in the details of the app. I don't know if they just quit back in the WP7 days or what, but it does work on 7 and I suspect they just haven't looked into the work MS has done with the new API.

At least initially there is no need for server architecture AT ALL. We only need to be able to enter our IP-PBX details and connect to our OWN servers. I know that PUSH would be nice for battery life concerns, but at this point I don't care. I only need to be able to register and make a call from my system. No Servers, No Cloud, just a simple app with a dial pad integrated to the native phone interface.

CellularMan

Jan 6, 2013
Visit site
I'm really quite disappointed in the lack of VOIP. I have been a WP user for 2 years, and a WM users for 3 years before that; I really expected to see a decent VOIP option, and in fact, integrated VOIP ala android. Frankly I'm getting impatient and I am considering jumping ship.

mister2d

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
I think everyone here is wildly underestimating the need for this and at the same time over thinking the whole thing as well.

Do you realize how many installed SIP compliant PBX's there are right now? The installed base is in the millions easy, and only one SIP client for WP called OctroTalk. This current app does basically what most of us would want which is to just create a manual SIP connection to our IP-PBX's. The only problem with this app is that it is not using the newest API's which integrate into the native phone client. It also only works on speaker etc. Basically, it just doesn't have tight integration to the OS. They actually are calling for help with this in the details of the app. I don't know if they just quit back in the WP7 days or what, but it does work on 7 and I suspect they just haven't looked into the work MS has done with the new API.

At least initially there is no need for server architecture AT ALL. We only need to be able to enter our IP-PBX details and connect to our OWN servers. I know that PUSH would be nice for battery life concerns, but at this point I don't care. I only need to be able to register and make a call from my system. No Servers, No Cloud, just a simple app with a dial pad integrated to the native phone interface.

I agree with you althought I don't think I'm grossly doing anything. I wanted a SIP client on my Windows Phone and just referenced the documentation Microsoft provided to developers. The concept seems very simple enough, but I don't know C# one bit.

If I could get a client that does exactly how it works on my Nokia 808 (Symbian), that's all I would need. As you say, it's directly integrated into the phone's dialer, no cloud, no other bs. You just enter your SIP credentials into a profile and you're done.

If a dev wants to add PUSH, then I could see having that as a premium paid feature.

paynito1

Aug 30, 2013
Visit site
Linphone not working with callcentric.com on lumia 920, they seem to have built the serverside SIP incoming call alert push only if you register an account, that gives you an SIP phone # of SIP:user@sip.linphone.org. I think many of us want to use a real phone # 01-800-234-23xx that we are either paying for or getting free from an SIP provider to receive and make calls. Many want to receive calls on a phone # in one country code while on a SIM card/ wifi connection in another country

Francisco Pires

Nov 8, 2013
Visit site
I need a SIP client that works in background. I've tested ADORESOFTPHONE and LINPHONE but these apps doesn't work in background to receive calls. I think WP OS don't support API to developers do that. I love my Lumia 720 but I'm thinking about switch to Moto G Android...

mister2d

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
The APIs are there. Just no developer out there that will make one. I kinda started but it's a lot of work for my second app. Lol

Ben Friedman

Mar 22, 2014
Visit site
I think the asterisk service will help you right?
That is a free service that you can use to set up your own server.
I wonder how to link with the server,that is all i need.

mister2d

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
I think the asterisk service will help you right?
That is a free service that you can use to set up your own server.
I wonder how to link with the server,that is all i need.

Yes Asterisk is there but that's not what I'm asking for. Just a plain ole VoIP client is all I want. If you've ever has a Symbian phone you could relate. The VoIP client is built in.

Now there is a decent one for windows phone, but you can't background the app. Not all that useful.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb