Developers version of 8.1

husslord

Jan 29, 2013
Visit site
Hey guess never done it before but if I sign up for the developers version of 8.1 can I remove it whenever I want? Or am I stuck with it? If att doesn't release the official WP 8.1 till summer may as well try developer version in the meantime, as long as I can still get the Nokia updates and can remove the developer version whenever I want. If not I may just suck it up and wait! I am not worried about bricking the phone...dont think this is like android, but I want the option of going back to att settings. Sorry if this has been addressed!!

Jan Tomsic

May 8, 2013
Visit site
Hey guess never done it before but if I sign up for the developers version of 8.1 can I remove it whenever I want? Or am I stuck with it? If att doesn't release the official WP 8.1 till summer may as well try developer version in the meantime, as long as I can still get the Nokia updates and can remove the developer version whenever I want. If not I may just suck it up and wait! I am not worried about bricking the phone...dont think this is like android, but I want the option of going back to att settings. Sorry if this has been addressed!!

You can't remove it. Once you get the update, you can't go back. You can still choose not to install the update and opt out of the developer preview.
You will get Lumia Cyan when released. The update on the Lumia consists of: 1. M$ portion (which is 8.1) and 2. Nokias additions (Cyan). with the official update you get both in the same pack. If you install 8.1 trough developer preview now, you'll only get Cyan as an addition to it. You won't brick your phone (probably - keep the battery full trough the update and plug the charger in just in case).
I don't know what att settings you're talking about, but your APN and MMS and all that jazz will continue to work. Only issue may be that all the apps (even some Nokia apps) may not cooperate with the new update, but the point of the developer preview is for developers to address such issue before released to general public.
Update is fully functional and complete, but all apps may not be. I remember there was some issue with one of Nokias apps with GDR3 preview, and it got fixed before the Black release.

This is not some nightly beta alpha build like you're used to from android world, this is like pure android found on Nexus devices when it's released to manufacturers so they can install ugly themes over it and ruin the design. Except that android only pushes proper android on Nexus devices, M$ does so for all devices, because the core OS in untouched my manufacturers.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think I got the most of it.

NoRomBasic

Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
Jan pretty much covered it here :wink:

Once installed, you will not be able to "roll back" DP 8.1, short of re-flashing your phone via Nokia Care Suite (which would wipe everything).

There is no reason I can think of why the DP would impact your ATT settings, but the possibility always exists that something funky could happen. That is true for any Beta (or really in this case it would be an RC or Release Candidate) test.

bel b

Feb 8, 2014
Visit site
But what about warranty? Will my device be surely void of warranty or is it just the case of MAYBE or MAYBE NOT???

NoRomBasic

Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
But what about warranty? Will my device be surely void of warranty or is it just the case of MAYBE or MAYBE NOT???

It should have no effect on warranty since any carrier/store with a copy of Nokia Care Suite could return it to "factory specs". I could see a potential situation where getting technical support might be iffy unless you were to re-flash it though.

mozman68

Dec 29, 2013
Visit site
I'm assuming you have a 1520....why would you think you (we) will be waiting until Summer?

I'm assuming the 1520 (and maybe the Icon) will get the 8.1 update before the month is out!

oditius

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
I'm assuming you have a 1520....why would you think you (we) will be waiting until Summer?

I'm assuming the 1520 (and maybe the Icon) will get the 8.1 update before the month is out!

You see, it isn't MS that dictates when you will receive it. Your carrier has to add it's apps, and make sure that it works with it. So AT&T or Verizon can take as long as they want to send it out to their customers. There was a point that AT&T help back updates to the android phones, and others got it long before AT&T customers.

NoRomBasic

Apr 5, 2012
Visit site

Stephen Elop specifically used the word Summer when he announced that all Lumia devices running WP8 would get the upgrade at Build today.

Hendonojutsu

Apr 3, 2014
Visit site
I dont know, but I saw it today in action at a windows event and it was awesome! I loved the swype feature and Cortana was really cool, or as cool as it could be in a loud bar setting. I had a minor gripe about IE in my current 1520... When I open a website in internet explorer I can hit the back button to go back to the previous web page, but if I minimize the app and go back I can't go back to the previous web page, anyways its a minor annoyance but I had the windows guy try it on his 1520 (running 8.1) and he was able to hit the back button after minimizing his browser and the previous pages loaded up just fine. I hope we get this update asap, I don't feel like paying for a developer account! lol

Last edited:

Will6371

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
I dont know, but I saw it today in action at a windows event and it was awesome! I loved the swype feature and Cortana was really cool, or as cool as it could be in a loud bar setting. I had a minor gripe about IE in my current 1520... When I open a website in internet explorer I can hit the back button to go back to the previous web page, but if I minimize the app and go back I can't go back to the previous web page, anyways its a minor annoyance but I had the windows guy try it on his 1520 (running 8.1) and he was able to hit the back button after minimizing his browser and the previous pages loaded up just fine. I hope we get this update asap, I don't feel like paying for a developer account! lol

What windows guy?

Apr 11, 2011
Visit site
8.1 DP Update will be Tuesday, April 14th...

Windows Phone 8.1 update available on April 14th | The Verge

From Tom Warren, who has generally been on the money on this stuff.

Not really, and it wasn't from him. He's re-posting news from another site. How he conned his way onto the staff at The Verge I will never know...but it wasn't through having legitimate sources.

That being said this information seemingly comes from a leak, and it says that this is the target, but doesn't guarantee the date.

This is why I was saying last week that folks should be very careful about claiming that 8.1 was already RTM. It shows you who really has sources and who is guessing.

husslord

Jan 29, 2013
Visit site

Just from the press release from t-mobile I believe it was saying sometime this summer it would be rolling it out.

husslord

Jan 29, 2013
Visit site

Good to know! Probably my biggest gripe with I.E. as of now. I hate when I minimize/close out, and go back into it and use the back button and it sends me to the home screen!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb