Did MS drop the ball?

PG2G

Dec 20, 2010
Visit site
As for app development, I see the point, but the .NET framework is built for quick development. The games might take longer because of the native coding and game engine stuff, but metro apps shouldn't be that tough. While that poses a risk on the apps that drop on release day, there should still be a good enough amount of time provided a big name app is finished through the x-mas season, no?

Not to mention, the big/notable developers have had access to the SDK for a while. It is the independent folks that don't have anything yet.

GoodThings2Life

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
I'm kind of concerned that maybe WP8 just isn't actually even done yet. I mean, why else would we only be getting an SDK preview at this late stage in the game?

Um that in and of itself is horrifying if they don't have the OS finished yet and we are a month and a half away from release....

Exactly why is this a problem? Why should it indicate a problem?

Look at the turn around time for Mango's release. It hit RTM, and within a very short time (about a month) we had it released to the public.

Even with Windows 8 itself, it went RTM at the end of July and by the middle of August it was available to the public. The timing of the October general availability parties is purely marketing.

Don't think for a moment that OEMs don't have access to nearly every build of WP8. Don't think for a moment they're not testing it and running it through the ringers.

RTM is gonna happen within the next week or two, more than likely (personally I'm speculating the 12th due to the SDK news we've been hearing). We're 7 weeks away from public launch... nearly 2 months yet. Heck, they could even take up to the 28th of September and still be in good shape for launch.

Chinocop

Jan 26, 2012
Visit site
If Microsoft wanted to be bold, they would announce on 9/12 or 9/13 pricing and availability of the Surface, WP8 features and move up the release dates of both W8 and WP8 just to steal some of Apple's spotlight.

paulm187

Nov 14, 2010
Visit site
This is a Nokia event. MIS will have their own event at lauch. I think Nokia did well but could have been better with the presentation. I don't care for the fakery of the ad as everyone does it in promotional videos. However Nokia's mistake was not paying attention to details in the ad and then appologising for it. They don't have to appologise as its only a promotional video and not to be aired on TV.

pjs37

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
Not to mention, the big/notable developers have had access to the SDK for a while. It is the independent folks that don't have anything yet.

Really because it sounds like the Premier Partners aren't getting it until 9/12/2012 though I am not an app developer so I am not sure if 45 days to re-write my apps to work with Windows Phone I am not exactly confident it will be.

pjs37

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
This is a Nokia event. MIS will have their own event at lauch. I think Nokia did well but could have been better with the presentation. I don't care for the fakery of the ad as everyone does it in promotional videos. However Nokia's mistake was not paying attention to details in the ad and then appologising for it. They don't have to appologise as its only a promotional video and not to be aired on TV.

It may have started out that way but then MS sent out its OWN invites to the event and they had their CEO there and major Windows spokesperson to show off all the same crap we saw plus filters for the camera which why do at all if its JUST a Nokia event (Who happens to be your biggest partner in the phone space and so far the only company to really drum up interest in your OS)

SnailUK

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
I'm still sure Microsoft has something up their sleeve.

They are very determined to hide something, and you just need to read all the hands on articles to see about every tech journalist was trying to fiddle with the test phones to find new secrets.

There has been so many assumed feature articles since the Nokia event where people have been analysing every second of video looking for stuff.

It does seem to keep people interested, where if microsoft told us everything today, we'd then be twiddling our thumbs for 2 months with nothing to talk about.

brmiller1976

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
Definitely dropped the ball. They've missed the chance to appeal to all the smartphone buyers who will be picking up new devices from Android and Apple territory. There will be few buyers left after that rush is over and Nokia is ready to ship.

Worse still, we've seen more demos of BlackBerry 10 than we've seen of Windows Phone 8. That's disturbing.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hamododomunı