Did Verizon pull the Nokia Lumia 822?

willied

Jul 30, 2011
Visit site
I believe it outsold the 8X on Verizon. The 822 was their top seller, with the 928 doing pretty well since launch.

The size of the Odyssey is what people like about it - on the smaller end of smartphone.

I love the size of the Odyssey. I just wish we could get a high end phone in that size (720P screen, better camera, etc.).

I was under the impression the 822 was one of if not THE top selling Windows Phone in the US!

It was the best selling WP in the US until the 520/521 overtook it.

Mr. MacPhisto

Aug 7, 2012
Visit site
I love the size of the Odyssey. I just wish we could get a high end phone in that size (720P screen, better camera, etc.).

It was the best selling WP in the US until the 520/521 overtook it.

I agree. I'm not all that familiar with the Android space, but I think the only smallish phone with overall decent specs is the iPhone. Personally, I'd love to see a phone with a 3.8 or 4" 768P screen and the 92X's 8.7MP Pureview with a Quadcore or the highest end dual core Snapdragon. A small, light phone that is a direct iPhone competitor in size with microSD as a big selling point. I wouldn't buy it because I like the larger phone, but millions of 4" devices are sold each year in the form of the iPhone. Is it merely because it's an iPhone? There's some of that, sure. But I'd bet there's a segment of the population that does not want 4.5", 5", 5.5", etc phones. They were used to tiny flip phones and now they're expected to carry a tank?

To me, the key is building the same internals to fit different sized enclosures with larger and smaller screens. Imagine of the 928, 925, or their successors and this smaller device all had the same internals that could mount in different sized enclosures. You get greater volume from one construction with variability in screen size and possibly in battery size.

I do love the Nokia has introduced a diverse set of options. I'd like to see the 720 come stateside and gradually see the low end res bumped up to 720p.

Groover1971

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
Yes, the Lumia 822 rocks. I was looking to see what phone I might get for my daughter from Verizon and couldn't find it on Verizon Wireless. I guess that means that I'll have to upgrade and let her have my 822. My problem is that I want a Windows Phone 'world phone' with a removable battery and expandable memory (removable micro SD card). Will Verizon get another phone with this combination? I may have to get her that 525 and keep mine.

Blkacesvf41

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
Yes, the Lumia 822 rocks. I was looking to see what phone I might get for my daughter from Verizon and couldn't find it on Verizon Wireless. I guess that means that I'll have to upgrade and let her have my 822. My problem is that I want a Windows Phone 'world phone' with a removable battery and expandable memory (removable micro SD card). Will Verizon get another phone with this combination? I may have to get her that 525 and keep mine.

It does rock. Had mine since day one and love it!

jridgers

Jan 14, 2013
Visit site
I agree. I'm not all that familiar with the Android space, but I think the only smallish phone with overall decent specs is the iPhone. Personally, I'd love to see a phone with a 3.8 or 4" 768P screen and the 92X's 8.7MP Pureview with a Quadcore or the highest end dual core Snapdragon. A small, light phone that is a direct iPhone competitor in size with microSD as a big selling point. I wouldn't buy it because I like the larger phone, but millions of 4" devices are sold each year in the form of the iPhone. Is it merely because it's an iPhone? There's some of that, sure. But I'd bet there's a segment of the population that does not want 4.5", 5", 5.5", etc phones. They were used to tiny flip phones and now they're expected to carry a tank?

I'm totally with you. I don't want a huge phone. Most of the time, my smartphone is just hanging out in my jeans pocket. I don't want to look like I'm trying to fit a tablet in there. I want a 4 to 4.8 inch screen on a really decent phone. I really wish I could get that with the 1020 camera.

I'm really into the Ativ S specs as it doesn't appear to be a huge screen but has high end features.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
What is the best selling WP as of late? The 1020? Just curious.

Nope - the 520/521 combo. The low end phone will be the next billion that Nokia has referred to many times, and have already become the best sellers.

The 822 is a great phone, though. I had one last year on launch day, and my wife now has it (I picked up a 928 on its launch day). As part of the DVLUP program that Nokia has for developers, I ended up with a half a dozen red wireless charging covers, and sold them on ebay, except for one that my wife is now using. Black phone with red charging cover - looks pretty good.

Right now I'm 12 points away from having enough points on DVLUP to get a free 822, so I'm going to grab that for my step-daughter for Christmas. She had a Sprint Arrive, and it broke (she's hard on phones), and someone gave her a cheapo Android. She HATES the Android with a passion. Since she's switched to Straight Talk in the process, I'll get her the 822 since it is unlocked and will work on Straight Talk.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Well, that free 822 came today. Here it is in white with a red charging cover. :grin:

WP_20131109_00_24_40_Pro (1).jpg

My wife is going to take the white one and give her daughter the black one. :wink:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kuyhaa