thecaringkind

Jul 21, 2012
Visit site
Guys. Something is really killing me right now. They say that the first step to recovery is admitting that you have a problem. OK here's my problem: I really like my Surface RT. I do. But certain things are KILLING me. First and foremost, front and center: THE LACK OF APPS. I just can't take it anymore guys. I have about 30-40 useful apps on my Surface. And even out of those half I don't use on a regular basis and the other half are buggy as hell. The ESPN app, doesn't work. The Tune In App, doesn't work. The pulse app doesn't work with the multitasking split screen feature at all. There's still no official YouTube app for the Surface and the knock offs available are pretty terrible. The metro browser has been VERY buggy lately and the desktop one doesn't recognize cookies that my Lumia 928 has no issues with! The photo app DOESN'T work. There are just so many niggling areas that are starting to drive me nuts. And the games available for the Surface? Save for a literal handful, are just BAD. The Podcast app options are terrible and I STILL have issues running certain video codecs using several different video apps available in the app store. The App store. HAH! SO BADDDDDD. Its frustrating guys. The device just deserves more and the compromises are starting to drive me off the proverbial cliff...

Don't get me wrong I love the build quality and the screen is sharp for viewing most media. I LOVE the kickstand. However having Office 2013 is a great portable productivity tool I absolutely don't use since I graduated from college.

Seriously thinking of moving on to the (dare I say it), Nexus 7 for 2013. The form factor, screen and about 60 times the apps seem to me to be more in line with what I want and need right now.

What do you think guys? Is it time for me to hang up my Surface RT hat for now and return to the darkside? (Google)

PS--I will NEVER leave WP8. I have zero issues with it as my mobile phone platform, but for a tablet, I just need something that WORKS all around.:unhappysweat:

crash1989

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I have stayed away from RT even though it is said to have 120,000 apps. But it seems Microsoft is not giving up on RT and are working on it, it is a first gen product so I am hoping it will have a turnaround before it is too late.

I think the surface pro is a better option than RT. I honestly think the best tablets in order are

1. iPAD (bigger one, the mini is not good)
2. Nexus 7

johnbash612

Oct 28, 2012
Visit site
Well, I mean, don't forget that the web browser on the Rt is pretty awesome. For example you mentioned the YouTube app doesn't exist, but you can just pin YouTube.com to the start menu and go from there. Same with espn. I'm not sure why you are having issues with tune-in, mine works perfectly fine. As for the buggyness, I take it you have ran all the updates? I'll admit that I restart my Rt way more often than I did my iPad, but it doesn't bother me because the boot time is like 30 seconds. Also, are you using 8.0 or 8.1? 8.1 preview is buggy but it has some awesome improvements, especially the multitasking resize. I would say wait until 8.1 is officially released and see what you think at that point. The nexus 7 is an amazing piece of hardware too and if you'd the type of person who is an app fiend then it would be a great choice. How long have you had your surface for?

thecaringkind

Jul 21, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the input! Had the Surface for a few months. Running the 8.1 preview. Never could quite figure out what's up with my tune in app and I run updates daily! Either way even if I jump ship I have a feeling I'll be back. Just too good a concept to abandon entirely.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb