Disabling OneDrive

jsooney

Mar 27, 2014
Visit site
Can I turn off OneDrive/SkyDrive or whatever it is called? I don't want to use it at all. I turned off what little I could, like photo uploads, but I got an email from MS thanking me for using it, so I guess I am still using it somehow.

jsooney

Mar 27, 2014
Visit site
Turn off uploads, turn off backup...
that's what you can do phone-side i believe.

Thanks, I've done that, but I don't know why MS is thanking me for using it and asking me to share my experience with it. Something must still be getting uploaded. I was wondering if it's OneNote syncing, but I don't see anywhere to turn that off.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Thanks, I've done that, but I don't know why MS is thanking me for using it and asking me to share my experience with it. Something must still be getting uploaded. I was wondering if it's OneNote syncing, but I don't see anywhere to turn that off.

Ah that too, OneNote syncs to OneDrive. (probably found in the Documents folder)

Just curious, why do you not want to use OneDrive? Is it because you use another service? Don't like cloud storage altogether?

I'm not sure how you could turn off OneNote syncing since its part of it. Probably by ditching OneNote and using another note-taking app, whether its an Office document on the phone, or something from the store.

jsooney

Mar 27, 2014
Visit site
I'm old school I guess, don't trust all this cloud stuff. I haven't read the 4,000 page ToS so I don't know if I still own the data in the cloud or if Microsoft can use it if they choose. I'm more comfortable hanging on to my own data, to the degree that I can anyway.

I think maybe another notes app is the way to go. Thanks.

arepitt

Dec 9, 2012
Visit site
i know in wp8 we can logout in onedrive... in wp8.1 (DP) can we logout? because my android friend sometime they want to play/try with my phone... in onedrive i put some private doc like my salary slip,password etc... so i dont want they ditch all that kinds....

yeewiz

Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
I'm old school I guess, don't trust all this cloud stuff.

It's ok to be old school. But, there's also room to embrace the new stuff. Really, you're not that old school, you're posting here using the Internet and not sitting at the corner grocery store complaining you don't trust all this Internet stuff.

Anyway, instead of denial, try immersing yourself slowly. Save some non-sensitive stuff to OneDrive. Use OneNote and save your shopping list there. Share stuff between your phone and your PC. I think it's ok to be cautious, but you also need to be progressive in thinking too. :smile:

JamesPTao

Sep 8, 2013
Visit site
I'm old school I guess, don't trust all this cloud stuff. I haven't read the 4,000 page ToS so I don't know if I still own the data in the cloud or if Microsoft can use it if they choose. I'm more comfortable hanging on to my own data, to the degree that I can anyway.

I think maybe another notes app is the way to go. Thanks.

Keep in mind path of monetization, or in other words how a company derives income is essential. Ex facebook, free pics sites, ECT, depend on adds and being able to use what you upload (if useful to rub two nickels together to thrive. Google depends on adds and using their vast collection of data on you to better target adds so they can thrive. Microsoft depends on selling useful software and now devices (although the devices end is an incredibly small portion). So their only motivation with your data is to analyze it to see how they can make themselves more useful to you. With that naturally they can be more trusted because they don't have that monetary bias. There's a reason Microsoft was the first to push back against the government with their snooping while everyone else was happy to comply. Their success depends on being of value to their users and trusted. That's a good thing.

T Moore

Jan 21, 2013
Visit site
You do realize your calendar, contacts and MS email is there in addition to OneDrive.

I still don't get the difference between an online MS account and banking, investing and paying bills online.

jsooney

Mar 27, 2014
Visit site
You do realize your calendar, contacts and MS email is there in addition to OneDrive.

I still don't get the difference between an online MS account and banking, investing and paying bills online.

I figured Calendar was going up there because I get email reminders in my MS account from stuff I put in my Calendar, which seems kind of dumb. I was going to look for a way to turn that off but hadn't got around to it. Probably isn't possible though.

I didn't know contacts were getting uploaded as well. That's more annoying than the rest. Not sure I understand the last line of your post.

jsooney

Mar 27, 2014
Visit site
So their only motivation with your data is to analyze it to see how they can make themselves more useful to you. With that naturally they can be more trusted because they don't have that monetary bias. There's a reason Microsoft was the first to push back against the government with their snooping while everyone else was happy to comply. Their success depends on being of value to their users and trusted. That's a good thing.

I think it's a tad naive to think that MS are more resistant to government demands than other companies. They have been cooperating for many years. I'm not particularly concerned about that aspect of it anyway as the government will get what they want regardless. That genie is out of the bottle and it's never going back in. I just prefer to have control of my data, where it resides and who can use it. Once it's in "the cloud" who knows what happens to it.

Ebuka Allison

Feb 19, 2013
Visit site
I figured Calendar was going up there because I get email reminders in my MS account from stuff I put in my Calendar, which seems kind of dumb. I was going to look for a way to turn that off but hadn't got around to it. Probably isn't possible though.

I didn't know contacts were getting uploaded as well. That's more annoying than the rest. Not sure I understand the last line of your post.
Calendar, contacts and email don't get saved to OneDrive. They are separate and exist independently

jsooney

Mar 27, 2014
Visit site
It's ok to be old school. But, there's also room to embrace the new stuff. Really, you're not that old school, you're posting here using the Internet and not sitting at the corner grocery store complaining you don't trust all this Internet stuff.

Anyway, instead of denial, try immersing yourself slowly. Save some non-sensitive stuff to OneDrive. Use OneNote and save your shopping list there. Share stuff between your phone and your PC. I think it's ok to be cautious, but you also need to be progressive in thinking too. :smile:

I've been embracing new technology for my entire career, I've made a good living on it. I got my first Internet connection and email account in 1991 (yes, I'm old), and was playing multiplayer Doom on dial-up modems not too long after, and have built a lot of very large networks and datacenters since. I found the best way to stay ahead was to learn new stuff while everyone else was holding their nose and saying it was never going to work. So new technology is not intimidating to me at all, I enjoy it.

Maybe it's because I've always been in control of connectivity and data that I'm not happy about giving it up. I'm not used to opaque devices either, where you have no way of knowing what it's doing or who it's talking to at any time. I'm sure I'm in the minority though, most people don't seem to care. Maybe I should go dig up my old Motorola Razr flip phone :wink:

timppa_k

Apr 30, 2014
Visit site
i know in wp8 we can logout in onedrive... in wp8.1 (DP) can we logout? because my android friend sometime they want to play/try with my phone... in onedrive i put some private doc like my salary slip,password etc... so i dont want they ditch all that kinds....

The password protected office documents are not safe. There is plenty of programs to break office password protection. The best way to keep personal sensitive information is in secure programs like LastPass. Never keep passwords or sensitive information in any unprotected files.

You can manage LastPass in your PC and WP8 phone. Use password of 15 to 25 character. F-Secure has also password program but WP8 version is not ready.

Ebuka Allison

Feb 19, 2013
Visit site

You can't log out of OneDrive or uninstall it because it's a system app now. Simple solution? Set limits on what they can do or just don't give it to them

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zahrajooon1254