Ditching my Note 3. 1520 or 930?

Nebel

Sep 21, 2014
Visit site
I'm about to pull the trigger and order either 930 or 1520. I really got tired of Android and I'm liking Win8 a lot on my tablet.
The question is, should I go large size 1520 with good battery, or smaller size 930 with a better screen (?) and according to some reviews, bad battery (battery is kinda important to me).
My Note 3 feels just a bit too big, but I'm not sure about that small 5" screen (I had HTC One X before Note 3, which was 4.7" if I remember correctly). And 1520 seems HUGE!

How are the screens compared between 1520 and 930? I know that 930 have more DPI so it's sharper, but which one is more beautiful?
Also, I surf the web A LOT. I barely ever send sms or call. Although I do type a lot on Facebook, etc. I so want the 1520 but I don't know about that size, and I prefer the design on 930, and also I don't know about it's size, might be too small for web/social media.

Last edited:

Zachary Boddy

Staff member
Aug 3, 2014
www.windowscentral.com
I'm about to pull the trigger and order either 930 or 1520. I really got tired of Android and I'm liking Win8 a lot on my tablet.
The question is, should I go large size 1520 with good battery, or smaller size 930 with a better screen (?) and according to some reviews, bad battery (battery is kinda important to me).
My Note 3 feels just a bit too big, but I'm not sure about that small 5" screen (maybe Note 3 got me HTC One X before, which was 4.7" if I remember correctly). And 1520 seems HUGE!

How are the screens compared between 1520 and 930? I know that 930 have more DPI so it's sharper, but which one is more beautiful?
Also, I surf the web A LOT. I barely ever send sms or call. Although I do type a lot on Facebook, etc. I so want the 1520 but I don't know about that size, and I prefer the design on 930, and also I don't know about it's size, might be too small for web/social media.

Actually the difference in pixel density isn't noticeable to the naked eye. You'd have to be millimeters away from the screen to see. The 1520 has a better screen period, it's absolutely gorgeous and still one of the best screens out there-a year after launch.
The 1520 is also only a third of an inch bigger than the Note 3(although it is quite a bit heavier). Also the 1520 has a fantastic battery, and is great for videos, media, etc.
1520 also has microSD card support. 930 doesn't.
1520 all the way.

broughshane

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Get to your local phone shop for some hands on with the 1520 and see how you find the size of the phone in person. I can tell you from my own use that the 930 will get you through a working day and home with a lot of web but not the day now. I've no bother in a full day with my 930 with medium use, with calls texts and 3 different emails running every hour along with 8 or more apps running in the background and with lite web use (twitter) I use third party app, Tweetium which thrives on mobile web so its pretty lite on battery, IE now does screen renderers and the 5" screen deals well with the net pages. It was the 930 design and specs that made me choose it over 1520 now.

Zachary Boddy

Staff member
Aug 3, 2014
www.windowscentral.com
The 1520 and 930 have exact same specs except the 930 is obviously smaller-and thicker-and has an AMOLED screen instead of an IPS LCD screen. What this means-AMOLED have deeper blacks and more contrast than IPS LCD, but tend to be oversaturated. IPS LCD offer great viewing angles, accurate colors, clarity and sharpness. And the 1520's display manages to have extremely deep inky blacks and contrast compared to other IPS LCD displays.

Joaquim Reis

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
You forgot one big difference that 930 has compared to 1520. The battery. 1520 has a monster of a battery while 930 has a "meh" battery.

Loco5150

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
I had both, now the 930 is gone. I really wanted to keep the 930, but couldn't really find good reason to.

The 1520 has a very good battery as mentioned here, probably the best from any smartphone. If you surf the web alot, this device will beat 930 hands down.

The screen is amazing of course because its big, but also because its an LCD. Whites don't consume more battery, so I can finally use white theme, but also on apps and websites which have much white in them.

Micro SD card.... What can I say, I have 32+64 space in my device, that's freaking 100gb!

Future updates will bring more functions to the 1520. It's been said that split screen and other new features are coming soon to WP phablets.

I love how was it is to write with the 1520 in portrait mode.... I'm sure if you had the note and are used to the size, the 1520 is the device to you.

salmanahmad

Banned
May 12, 2014
Visit site
If you aren't okay with the size of the Note 3 you definitely will find the 1520 too huge as well.

Go for 930, I guess. Or maybe you should consider other options such as the OnePlusOne or iPhone 6 Plus.

They are smaller than the Note 3 while still providing a good balance.

mhans311

Dec 23, 2011
Visit site
Yeah if the note is too big for you then the 1520 will be too. I played with it in the Microsoft store and that thing is MASSIVE. And this is coming from someone who owned a note 2.

Nebel

Sep 21, 2014
Visit site
Well, I made my decision before moderators managed to approve this thread. My 1520 is already sent to me :)

I am okay with Note 3. I love the screen size, I am used to it and know that most of the time it just does not work with one hand. The main problem I have with it is fitting it in a pocket. I'm going to have the same problem with 1520, but it's something I'm used to. It's probably harder to get used to a small screen than keep trying to improvise on where to fit it.
Iphone = big no, I have 5 as a work phone and I really hate it. Even with the new iOS8. Android is nice for extreme customization but it's too extreme.
I also love heavier phones, Note 3 is almost too light. The difference is only about 40g so that's not a big issue I think.
I really, really prefer the design on 930, but I went with 1520 because I decided to buy a slim wallet that will cover most of the phone. I don't think 1520 design is ugly, just nothing special. I wanted a yellow one but saw in some video that the damage is much more visible on a bright color than black for example (I'm not very careful with phones). And I intend to keep my 1520 until 1530/1620 comes out. I just couldn't wait.

Any suggestions on a nice looking wallet with a credit card holder?

Nebel

Sep 21, 2014
Visit site
I know, but since I already owned a Note 3 for a year now, when my back right pocket felt light I knew that I didn't have my phone with me. I was always able to notice it. Probably going to do the same with 1520.
And I don't use money etc, it's 2 credit cards and a driver license. And I like to have everything in one place.

Also, I think that I ordered 1520.3, hopefully. The one I bought had "wireless charging and LTE" in specifications.

flapadlr

Aug 15, 2012
Visit site
I haven't seen anyone mention it here yet, so I want to tell you there is NO handwriting recognition for the 1520. That amazing feature of the Note3 is not there. It's the thing that blew me away about the Note3 and I assumed it would be available on the 1520. Not. There. Can't even find a third party app. If this does not matter to you, enjoy your 1520.

Nebel

Sep 21, 2014
Visit site
I haven't seen anyone mention it here yet, so I want to tell you there is NO handwriting recognition for the 1520. That amazing feature of the Note3 is not there. It's the thing that blew me away about the Note3 and I assumed it would be available on the 1520. Not. There. Can't even find a third party app. If this does not matter to you, enjoy your 1520.

Another feature of Note 3 I will not miss. I very seldom used the pen to write something, and even then, my handwriting looked terrible. That tech still has a way to go before it can replace pen and paper.

Karthik Naik

Banned
Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
actually the 930 is the one which has had the most hardware failures in the forums these days surprisingly
frankly id get the 1520 if i were you,its a proven device
not that 930 is bad but its a concern given the number of issues reported each day

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DaviSmalle