DLNA Music Casting

Jezza

May 8, 2015
Visit site
So, I'm very new to Windows Phone and I'm currently waiting on the Windows 10 Mobile releases before giving up my Galaxy S4 to jump ship. But it occurred to me earlier when playing with my girlfriends 640, there's no music casting option in Groove music (which isn't surprising with the amount of criticism the app receives here), so I decided to look into some of the other music apps and I've yet to find anything so far that replicates this.

To me, lacking this option would prove to be a bit of an annoyance, since the thing I love doing when I walk in the door is unplugging my headphones, hitting the cast button and letting my music continue playing through my Xbox One on my TV.

Therefore, since it would be a shame to give this up, I guess my question would be, is there an app or setting in Windows 10 Mobile that enables this feature? Thanks in advance.

P.S I did do a search on this topic and many of the threads I found didn't seem to have a response or weren't clearly answered.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
"Lumia Play To" was the most popular app for that sort of thing, which has unfortunately been removed from the store without a replacement. Some expect it to return as a built in feature of W10M.

Sarveshwar

Mar 19, 2015
Visit site

See I wouldn't recommend completely shifting to Windows 10 Mobile if you have "app needs". Because there is a dire scarcity on the Windows side. And,as far as DLNA is concerned, support is worse in the 10 Mobile version. At least 8.1 had better DLNA support with 'Play To'.

On 10 Mobile, you won't even find a any proper DLNA app except TubeCast, which is for streaming YouTube videos to UPNP devices and was the only app that actually worked on my mobile. So, trade with caution.

I would rather stay with Android if I had the 5+ version because they look good too.

seventeenapg

Oct 19, 2013
Visit site
I have icast version 1.8-p-l-o and it kind of works with win10 10536. I paid for the app but far from happy with it. I will try Linada but don't want to be paying even more money. Hope MS bring UPNP to Groove music sooner than later!

seb_r

Aug 1, 2014
Visit site
I also plagued by not having a proper app for DLNA since 8.1 already. I simply want to browse the library that my DLNA compatible media server hosts on my NAS and stream it to some media renderer (TV, Internetrario etc.). Like a remote control.
No need to bother with linada, also did not do the job (at least for my scenario). Also wasted my $ in buying useless apps that not worked.
Tony of free apps on Android that do their job pretty flawless. One of the main reasons my primary is now (again) Nexus.

paddy_pilani

Mar 14, 2012
Visit site
They have put a developer sample for DLNA streaming on developers website since last 6 months; and yet the Groove team has failed to implement it in their own player. If you look at the code, its just a matter of adding 5 lines.
I know that the Groove code must be too complex compared to that sample. But, c'mon! This is unacceptable!

seventeenapg

Oct 19, 2013
Visit site
Well I bought Linada for ?2.29 in the store and it's pretty useless as well. It won't even run under lock screen. And you can't just play an album, the contents have to be put into a playlist. I have since deleted it. Windows 10 has the option to "cast to" do I hope it is brought to the mobile platform as well.

michail71

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
Only real option is Bluetooth streaming for WP10 to get around the lock screen issue. But even that worked better under WP8.1.

The iOS and android users in my house can run circles around me on my own devices when it comes to any kind of media streaming. It's only gotten worse in Windows 10 and Windows Phone 10.

seb_r

Aug 1, 2014
Visit site
Well I bought Linada for ?2.29 in the store and it's pretty useless as well. It won't even run under lock screen. And you can't just play an album, the contents have to be put into a playlist. I have since deleted it.
Uhm....you read my post right above yours regarding Linada? Stop wasting your money with any kind of app for DLNA.

Windows 10 has the option to "cast to" do I hope it is brought to the mobile platform as well.
The device ("Media-Renderer") must be compatible (whatever this means). But my experience is that many devices are not - at least the way Microsoft sees it and therefore not allows you to stream to some of these. No problems with Android tho.

Only real option is Bluetooth streaming for WP10 to get around the lock screen issue. But even that worked better under WP8.1.
Well it is a whole different thing compared to DLNA and has some drawbacks.

The iOS and android users in my house can run circles around me on my own devices when it comes to any kind of media streaming. It's only gotten worse in Windows 10 and Windows Phone 10.
Thats why I carry a Nexus with me :)

michail71

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
Funny, I'd been lamenting about streaming media on WP 8.1/10 for about two years. This is the first time I've seen others with similar complaints. Everyone usually starts defending Miracast. Sometime I wonder if people have actually tried to use it or used other platforms.

seventeenapg

Oct 19, 2013
Visit site
Whilst I am from Ireland I alwqysd like to read up on specs of phones for other regions. Just now I looked at the 950 which has just been put up on the US store and I saw this under "local sharing"

Local sharing

Peer-to-peer sharing: Lumia Beamer, Lumia Storyteller, Play to DLNA app, Nearby Discovery

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb