Do you think Surface products are revolutionary?

anon(10409867)

Feb 8, 2018
Visit site
It has been around 5 years. Microsoft often claims that products like Surface Pro, Surface Book and Surface Studio are revolutionary products. But do you think that they are really revolutionary?

Personally, I don't think so. Surface Pro is nothing more than a tablet. Their USP is the Surface Pen but if you want a digital reading and writing capabilities, why wouldn't you buy something like remarkable or Boox? They are thinner, lighter, and offers glare free reading experience with a much better battery life?

Next comes Surface Book. While it's an interesting device but not very practical for me. After paying a hefty price, all I get is heavy tablet that will be not easy to hold and a powerful computer that I can get at half it's price (XPS 15 or Alienware).

Surface Studio is a very attractive device but it's market is confined to a very small segment of the population.

Apple had its share of failures. But when they introduced finger print scanner on iPhones, that was revolutionary. It was so convenient that today it's hard to imagine a smartphone without one.

Do you think that Surface can be given the same stature and respect as given to iPods or iPhones?

Scienceguy Labs

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
I think "revolutionary" is a bit much. All of the Surface products (minus the newly announced headphones) are just well-marketed PCs. They are made from very high end materials, but nothing revolutionary. Having said that, the few Surface products that I have owned have been really great devices. I recently bought a Surface Go, and am really impressed by its design, size, and functionality. But, it's still not revolutionary. It's just a really good device.

anon(10531858)

Oct 6, 2018
Visit site
I have to agree that "revolutionary" is exaggerated. They are anti-revolutionary if anything. Nice devices sure but they are an obvious attempt by Microsoft to extend the shelf-life of laptops. Preserve the status quo.

Now Chromebooks are an example of... "revolutionary". They are definitely changing the status quo. Case in point... https://betanews.com/2018/10/22/nz-chromebook-linux-kiwi-edu/

Meanwhile Microsoft slobbers all over themselves trying to release Andromeda before Samsung beats them to a foldable. I've come to believe it will never happen, because Nadella's incapable of rousing the troops. Sadly Nadella will ride laptops and Azure to his grave. What a knucklehead.

anon(10409867)

Feb 8, 2018
Visit site
I have to agree that "revolutionary" is exaggerated. They are anti-revolutionary if anything. Nice devices sure but they are an obvious attempt by Microsoft to extend the shelf-life of laptops. Preserve the status quo.

Now Chromebooks are an example of... "revolutionary". They are definitely changing the status quo. Case in point... https://betanews.com/2018/10/22/nz-chromebook-linux-kiwi-edu/

Meanwhile Microsoft slobbers all over themselves trying to release Andromeda before Samsung beats them to a foldable. I've come to believe it will never happen, because Nadella's incapable of rousing the troops. Sadly Nadella will ride laptops and Azure to his grave. What a knucklehead.

Foldable phones can create ripples but they are not something that can cause tides, something that the tech world is searching right now!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos