Does anyone know when AT&T will roll out Windows 10 Mobile to Lumia 640XL?

• Thread starter Windows Central Question
  • Start date
W

Windows Central Question

I know that recently the Lumia 640 has been upgraded "officially" by ATT, but my Lumia 640XL has yet to receive any update both through the Upgrade Advisor app as well as the general settings > phone update check.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Since your phone is on the eligible list, rather than waiting for carrier approval (branded phones) use Insider on the Release Ring... The same version is fetched as the recent public Upgrade received by these phones (10.0.10586.xxx): Phones Eligible for Windows 10 Mobile Official.

After the Upgrade, you may use Insider and select Production to un-enroll your phone from Insider, but at least you have W10M. WaaS (Windows as a Service) will deliver future updates within Threshold to you without any Insider access required.

Or go Insider and stay on the Release ring you get the next public version early as Release ring in effect is the RTM. This will deliver the most stable Redstone builds to you earlier than OTA push with minimal risk.

Check out this thread: Windows Insider Testing and You [Recommended Guidelines]

For right now, Windows Device Recovery Tool is only flashing 8.1 to models that did not launch with 10 so it is the way to revert if you don't care for W10M: How can I recover/reset/restore my phone software?

If you need additional help or have more questions or details to share, please join the site so you can reply in this thread. See this link for instructions on how to join Windows Central.

ruchrana

Jun 1, 2016
Visit site
Thanks for the information!

So I'm just a tad uncertain about the Insider upgrade. I've known about the Insider upgrade for forever now. I've been a Windows Phoneatic (fanatic?) for a while now - previously had the Lumia 1020 due to a hobby in photography. Anyway, I had read some reports through the grapevine that it was difficult to get "official build release" updates rolled out to your Insider phone on W10 mobile. I also was unsure about the instability of the OS if I was in the Insider builds. If what you are saying is true, would you recommend going the Insider Release route, upgrading to W10 mobile, and then unenrolling the insider program to get the "official build releases"?

Thanks again!

Last edited:

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
If what you are saying is true, would you recommend going the Insider Release route, upgrading to W10 mobile, and then unenrolling the insider program to get the "official build releases"?

That would be the exact method for maximum stability. It will put you on the current branch and WaaS will bring you any official updates from this point forward.

Also, so many users are reporting that the best experience is to Upgrade > then reset your phone to get that clean install going.

Insider > Upgrade via Release Ring > check updates to make sure you have everything (should take you to 10586.338) > Insider, select Production Ring > Reset your phone > if you still have patience don't use Restore from backup and do a fresh setup manually on the clean install...

Opinion varies a bit more widely on Restored backup affecting the experience. I think a lot of that depends on device and how much was backed up. (Makes sense, right?)

ruchrana

Jun 1, 2016
Visit site
Totally makes sense. Thanks for posting that and replying quickly!

I got the Release upgrade to .338 and it is working well! The only issue I've run into is that my Mail/Calendar are improperly syncing specifically with my Microsoft mail account (which is connected to a gmail.com name). I kind of bypassed this by not allowing that particular account to sync email, and then just added a separate gmail account using the same address. I little roundabout, but at least it works now.

I have yet to go the route of Production ring > reset phone. One question I have is what specific benefits are there to having a reset after getting to this point? I know that a lot of my phone memory (about 6 gb of the limited 8 gbs of it) is used up by "system", would this help with that?

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Slims down system and also gets rid of old registry entries...

Any major version upgrade on any device needs a clean install to run best.

Users who avoid reset often report battery drain issues and lots of odd glitches.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shelton786