Does Nokia Drive navigation work well for anyone?

Pete C

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
After reading all the praise for this app in reviews, I really expected something rock solid. Well, it's been pretty useless for me. It keeps losing the GPS signal then just sits there for a few minutes before figuring out that I have driven quite a long way. Also, if I go a different route it takes forever for it to realize what has happened. I don't know if it's the software or the hardware itself. Anyone else experiencing this?

This really sucks because aside from this I have had no issues with my phone.

sleewok

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
After reading all the praise for this app in reviews, I really expected something rock solid. Well, it's been pretty useless for me. It keeps losing the GPS signal then just sits there for a few minutes before figuring out that I have driven quite a long way. Also, if I go a different route it takes forever for it to realize what has happened. I don't know if it's the software or the hardware itself. Anyone else experiencing this?

The default answer for any Windows operating system. Does it work after rebooting? :)

MaulerX

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site

Just curious, did you try downloading the maps? Downloading the maps will take care of those situations when you "lose" signal. Personally it's been rock solid for me.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
I've heard some people say there is quite a difference between WP7 ND and WP8 ND in the areas you've mentioned. To me it sounds like everyone with a WP8 device is essentially a beta-tester at this point.

As both hardware and software have drastically changed for WP8, I doubt anyone except a ND developer could answer your question right now.

Power cycle your device. If that doesn't work report it to Nokia and see what they say.

Landsharkk

Oct 6, 2012
Visit site
I used it last night to navigate to a restaurant in a town I'm not familiar with, it worked 100% perfect and tracked me well enough to tell me when the speed limit changed and I was going over it. :)

I found it super easy to use and very helpful.

MerlotC

Sep 19, 2011
Visit site
Just got my 920. Gps is pretty much useless. My old Focus is way better. Other than that, love the phone. Will try recycling. If doesn't help then probably defective.

Darus214

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
My black L920 has rock solid gps...it guided me downtown chicago where my iPhone would usually go haywire. I was even underground for a bit and it kept tracking me. Chicago also has lte so it may be faster than 3g

Landsharkk

Oct 6, 2012
Visit site
Just got my 920. Gps is pretty much useless. My old Focus is way better. Other than that, love the phone. Will try recycling. If doesn't help then probably defective.

I previously had a Samsung Focus (so did my Wife, we had 2!), and I find the GPS on the Lumia 920 to be far superior.

frageelay

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Mine works perfectly. I did have to find out the hard way that if you preset destinations in drive they don't carry over to maps. The speed limit notification is a bit much. Had to adjust it.

muhan

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site

I live in Los Angeles and Nokia Drive works pretty well. There are some issues like a completely inaccurate time to destination estimate. But overall, I'd say it's a good app and worth using for me at least.

muhan

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
Is traffic redirection gone? I remember it was there on the 900.

I'm pretty sure traffic redirection does not work. I don't think Nokia Maps or Nokia Drive have local traffic info (only freeway/highway) and so Drive obviously can't take that into account.

Pete C

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
Drove to work this morning and the issue is completely gone. It was re-routing instantly and never lost signal. I did reboot the phone before I started charging last night. Weird.

Landsharkk

Oct 6, 2012
Visit site
Let's not forget that Nokia Drive is in beta. I haven't searched for this yet, but is there somewhere we can provide direct feedback for that app?

mdecker79

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
What is everyone using for a car charger? Every charger I use with my 920 will not charger the battery if I'm using GPS. I'm using the att 2 amp charger from the att store which should supply more then enough juice.

anyone? Please? :)

lordofthereef

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
Oddly enough I had severe GPS issues the first day I got the phone and drove around pretty much all day. I even posted about it. Have used it a lot more since and haven't had issues.

lordofthereef

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
Let's not forget that Nokia Drive is in beta. I haven't searched for this yet, but is there somewhere we can provide direct feedback for that app?

The Apple crowd said that about Siri for a year +. It got old. Nokia has used it in their sales pitch. Honestly, I could care less whether it's labeled beta or not. They released it with their phone with no option to use an older (non beta) version. That is enough for me.

Pete C

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
What is everyone using for a car charger? Every charger I use with my 920 will not charger the battery if I'm using GPS. I'm using the att 2 amp charger from the att store which should supply more then enough juice.

anyone? Please? :)

Do you charge your phone in your car every day? Might not be the best thing for the battery since car chargers "quick charge" the phone. This makes the battery hotter than a regular AC charger. I know this was an issue many years ago and times have changed, but I don't know...I would still be cautious since we can't ever replace the battery.

mdecker79

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Do you charge your phone in your car every day? Might not be the best thing for the battery since car chargers "quick charge" the phone. This makes the battery hotter than a regular AC charger. I know this was an issue many years ago and times have changed, but I don't know...I would still be cautious since we can't ever replace the battery.

No I only hook it up to the charger in my car when I'm using GPS.

I plug the 920 in and it says it's charging..

I used Nokia drive beta

10 min later my charge is down 10%..

I just don't understand?

To add to it I did the following yesterday.. I let the phone die in my car till it turned off. I turned it back on till it died again, plugged it into my car charger and then started Nokia beta drive. Within 5 min it turned it self off....

So I went home and used the 1.3 amp charger that came with the phone.

I let the battery die till it turned off and then I did the same thing once again.

I plugged it into the nokia 1.3 amp charger, started Nokia beta drive and was able to charge the phone perfectly fine....

I don't understand.

So again what car chargers are people using with the 920 when they are using it as a GPS device?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
quicktravo