Doesn't adding a Notification Center completely undermine Live Tiles?

jmerrey

Dec 9, 2010
Visit site
If you follow so many teams, surely ESPN is a big part of your life. Why won't you pin that? Imagine "Meet tk-093 and this is his Windows Phone" followed by no ESPN tile shown!! Go on PIN IT! ;)

The ESPN tile doesn't give any indication of the toasts you receive. They are separate all together. For example, I have my ESPN app set to give me toast notifications of news events of my favorite teams, plus score updates. If one of those toasts comes in and I miss it, it's gone forever. No record of it, no live tile notifications, nothing. Pinning live tiles isn't always the answer unfortunately.
Some might argue that's a developer error. Then I might ask, what if my ESPN tile had a little "3" in the corner, and it flipped to give me a summary of the last toast received? How does that help me with the other 2 I missed? A notification list in the app itself? Then why not an aggregate of all notifications the phone gets, aka a notification center?

tk-093

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
Where do your toasts go? Isn't there any tile count? If not, it's super rubbish considering Nokia did that app!

They don't go to a Notification Center, that's for sure. :)

I only use the Nokia app to pin individual teams to my home screen, mainly because it looks cool. The toasts I have setup are using the standard ESPN Scorecenter app. They don't go anywhere. If I miss one I can launch the ESPN app and then find the list of my teams and see what's going on, but it would be much easier and a lot quicker to swipe into a Notification Center and see them there.

Somewhat unrelated is there are no custom toast sounds. The thing that was sweet about the iOS score center app was for their toasts, it would play the ESPN jingle when one came in. Just a cool feature.

StevesBalls

Banned
Oct 24, 2012
Visit site
No, end of discussion. The omission of a Notification Center is a design flaw that must be addressed.

What's the point of debating this? In a year (hopefully) when WP has a properly implemented Notification center nobody will ever say "do we need this?". If you don't want to use it, don't use it. But I guarantee you that everybody will use it.

And Microsoft has already confirmed that they are working on it, so all we can do now is wait (and then wait some more).

iamtim

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
If someone has seen something definitive from MS that a notiification center was going to be included in some future update, could they post it here? That would be much appreciated. Until then it's just a rumor.

Hmm. Looks like you're right. Going back and re-reading the original post on the matter (at least, the original post from my POV - Microsoft admits it 'ran out of time' on Windows Phone 8 notification center | The Verge), they admit to running out of time and state that they've gotten a lot of requests and are thinking strongly on the issue. But nothing actually definite.

FinsUpDNC

Sep 11, 2012
Visit site
It won't be what the other os's have. It will be a "toast archive". Though will be similar in practice.
Sent from my Lumia 920 using Board Express

tk-093

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
It won't be what the other os's have. It will be a "toast archive". Though will be similar in practice.
Sent from my Lumia 920 using Board Express

Yes, I think that is exactly what it will be, if it comes. I want something that collects my score alerts, or my weather alerts.. you know.. things with data in them. We don't need something to say 'you have 2 new text messages' or 'you have 5 new emails' that is exactly what live tiles are for, but live tiles don't cover everything.

Toast Center would be more accurate of a description.

Slai

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
I mean if you look at the Windows Phone 8 UI it pretty much already looks like one big notification center except it has a flaw where if you don't put all the tiles you need on your homescreen you lose those notifications.

As I see it this is just a choice. Dont put the tile on home, dont see notification count.

I have everything I use more than once a month on my homescreen, personally. But then again, I dont need a notification centre like some clearly do.

What I would like is the ability to pin setting tiles like WiFi/BT/NFC/GPS/etc to the start as a pure toggle instead of a shortcut to the settings. Thats all.

That being said, make another page on the Me-tile with toast-history, as mentioned here. That would probably soothe everyone?

anthonyng

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
yes a toast archive a la N9 events page please... so long as push toast works cause it doesn't work for my msn merged skype account

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
No, end of discussion. The omission of a Notification Center is a design flaw that must be addressed.

What's the point of debating this? In a year (hopefully) when WP has a properly implemented Notification center nobody will ever say "do we need this?". If you don't want to use it, don't use it. But I guarantee you that everybody will use it.

And Microsoft has already confirmed that they are working on it, so all we can do now is wait (and then wait some more).

wow. What are you doing stealing my comment???

Amen, end of story. A notification of some type is the kind of think a certain percentage of users will not do without now that they have had one all of Apple's and Android's life. MS needs to put one in to attract new users.

tk-093

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
Its strange to me that this isn't the place for ALL notifications. Just twitter and FB. I wonder if the Me tile is off limits to devs.

Maybe, but it would be the OS that would take the toast and put it there... wouldn't need the developers really....

Mystictrust

May 26, 2011
Visit site
I just need a way to track down missed toast notifications that sometimes don't seem to show ANYWHERE. Words by Post doesn't update the tile for any chat notifications, just turn notifications, and then other apps... well, I have no idea, because sometimes I am completely unable to track down what may have notified me, even after opening every single app on my phone. Bothers me to no end!!!!

Slai

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
Easiest fix is simply adding a toast-list on a page in the Me-tile.

Done with notifications.

Then let you pin toggles from Settings to the homescreen, like wifi, bt, nfc, vibrate, etc.

Done.

MS: Do this, should take you about a week, move on to more important things.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oliveeAria