Don't lose the Back Button in WP8.1

Moiz Mian

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
Yea, seriously, they tried that with android. First 4 buttons, then 3 buttons, then some OEM's like HTC started putting 2 buttons. All it leads to is fragmentation and confusion. The 3 button system is fine. Just make them part of the screen like android.

xboxonthego3

Jan 2, 2013
Visit site
I'm not going to say I like it or not. Because I believe it is just a rumor. And we really don't have details on how this will work if they get rid of it. So don't go all out and start a riot. You might like the way they implement the OS without the back button. Don't knock it before you try it(or see it in action for that matter)

Dev Jaykrishnan

Sep 13, 2013
Visit site
Let's just imagine a situation where it IS implemented. The back button won't work anymore, so it'll probably will just be a dud: non functioning and nothing more than a bright arrow. It may or may not be a rumor but if we do raise the issue, it'll either stop them from considering doing it unless they've already implemented it right ?

xboxonthego3

Jan 2, 2013
Visit site
Ok? But if they come up with a better solution than the back button why is the button relevant anymore? Change isn't necessarily a bad thing if it is for the better. Maybe we will just have a useless lit up arrow on the older devices. But the new devices that is one less button. I'm not saying I like it or not until I see them actually show us or implement it. But if they were to make a change like this. I believe to please both sides of the argument they should keep the arrow functioning in the older devices and also have the new alternative but with the new devices they should phase the back arrow out.

Blkacesvf41

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
If they lose the back button, how do we load the previous web page or select which app to switch to ? The whole idea is whack -_-
Some people are suggesting that MS will incorporate Windows 8 gestures to WP8. Imho that would be a disaster! Having that charms bar style multitasker sounds good in theory, but can you imagine how small the apps would be on this smaller screen? Also, how would you close them from there?

Dev Jaykrishnan

Sep 13, 2013
Visit site
@xboxonthego3 That is exactly what I suggested in my poll at uservoice. Make it an optional setting to disable the back button in the OS. Depending on the consumer feedback, they can go forward with how it should be in future devices. I'm no one to tell them how to run the company. Just an honest opinion :)

gapost

Dec 1, 2004
Visit site
The back button is one of the beat features of WP that the iPhone doesn't have. When I try to use the iPhone, it is so frustrating to have to hit the center button and then look for the app you were in. I know it's better in ios7, but I use the back button in WP all the time.

xboxonthego3

Jan 2, 2013
Visit site
@xboxonthego3 That is exactly what I suggested in my poll at uservoice. Make it an optional setting to disable the back button in the OS. Depending on the consumer feedback, they can go forward with how it should be in future devices. I'm no one to tell them how to run the company. Just an honest opinion :)

Alrighty, I wish you luck with it then! :)

CSJr1

Aug 15, 2012
Visit site
Microsoft let this leak so they could determine the reaction of their base. So I intend to contribute to the reaction and let them know I do not like the idea of them removing the back button.

Microsoft: If you are trying to find ways to merge Windows RT and Windows Phone, I understand that the tablet doesn't have a back button, so you need to ensure there is at least a software back button on WP Apps that run in RT.

Last edited:

mythos13

Apr 9, 2011
Visit site
It would be a really bad move to lose the back button. However I find the Bing button the most frustrating feature of Window Phone so I would l really like it if they got rid of it instead.

sotoy_yuk

Mar 18, 2013
Visit site
It would be a really bad move to lose the back button. However I find the Bing button the most frustrating feature of Window Phone so I would l really like it if they got rid of it instead.

i agree with you. I always accidentally hit bing search button when using my phone with one hand. I'm right hand man by the way

WanderingTraveler

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
I'm betting that Windows Phone will be merged with Windows RT.
I'm calling it. Windows Phone will most likely have a limited charms bar and multitasking bar.

Then again, this is just a rumor.

No need to make a petition about it. We need to rely on official information for this instance.

chezm

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
If WP and RT merge, making latest WP identical to RT...and with the potential of a Surface phone then I'm on board

Adretheon

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site

I like the search button. I do however think that it needs to become a button like the Back button.

When in any app the button should search within the app(emails, texts, phone calls, and pictures as well). When on the home screen it should be a full phone search where it looks for everything on your phone(Apps, texts, emails, pictures, people, etc.). Pressing and holding anywhere will bring up Bing.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
killshot4077