Enable hiberation option in shut down menu?

tortex73

Dec 19, 2013
Visit site
Does anyone know how to enable the hibernation option in the shut down menu? On the Surface Pro 3 you can do it from the group policy editor (gpedit.msc) but not on the V8P. The battery seems to drain completely overnight if I don't actually power it down because it doesn't seem to want to sleep (connected standby bug?) and it's really getting on my nerves. It never used to have this problem. Any insight would be appreciated.

wpn00b

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
I blatantly borrowed this from tabletpcreview forums as Bing dug it up. Just wanted to give credit where credit is due. See if this works:

"Here's how to make "hibernate" show up as a shutdown option.

NOTE: These instructions assume you have a USB keyboard/mouse hooked up. We need to enter safe mode where by default, touch input is enabled. Also, if you haven't drive encryption, it seems Windows will prompt you for a Bitlocker password before you can enter safe mode. I had drive encryption disabled already so this didn't happen for me.

OK, enter safe mode (for instance, by selecting the option using msconfig). Enter the control panel and search for "power buttons"; you should get a page that lets you choose what the power buttons do. Click the button to "change settings that are currently unavailable", then scroll down and check the box to "show hibernate" in the power options. Reboot normally and the "hibernate option" will still show up in your shutdown menu."

tortex73

Dec 19, 2013
Visit site
I read this and went searching but thought you had a surface pro 3(didn't read thoroughly enough) I'm not sure if this is relevant then but it is a registry edit that allows the option.
How To Enable Hybernate on a Surface Pro 3? - Microsoft Community
I have both tablets. I tried this one and it didn't work.

I blatantly borrowed this from tabletpcreview forums as Bing dug it up. Just wanted to give credit where credit is due. See if this works:

"Here's how to make "hibernate" show up as a shutdown option.

NOTE: These instructions assume you have a USB keyboard/mouse hooked up. We need to enter safe mode where by default, touch input is enabled. Also, if you haven't drive encryption, it seems Windows will prompt you for a Bitlocker password before you can enter safe mode. I had drive encryption disabled already so this didn't happen for me.

OK, enter safe mode (for instance, by selecting the option using msconfig). Enter the control panel and search for "power buttons"; you should get a page that lets you choose what the power buttons do. Click the button to "change settings that are currently unavailable", then scroll down and check the box to "show hibernate" in the power options. Reboot normally and the "hibernate option" will still show up in your shutdown menu."

Do I need a USB mouse/keyboard for this? I don't own either.

Edit: Yeah I've tried this and it doesn't even give me the option for hibernate.

wpn00b

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
Bummer. But yes, it says you have to have a mouse and keyboard... Would it work if you had those?

Hey, didn't some Microsoft employees join Windows Central? Maybe they have an answer?

LOL it feels like a midseason baseball trade... Sam Sabri for 3 or 4 Microsofties.

I'm not sure who got the better deal though!

tortex73

Dec 19, 2013
Visit site
Bummer. But yes, it says you have to have a mouse and keyboard... Would it work if you had those?

Hey, didn't some Microsoft employees join Windows Central? Maybe they have an answer?

LOL it feels like a midseason baseball trade... Sam Sabri for 3 or 4 Microsofties.

I'm not sure who got the better deal though!

Well when I tried it I didn't do it in safe mode, maybe the option will be there in safe mode but I don't see why. I'm not sure about the keyboard and mouse thing, do you need them when in safe mode?

Not sure about the Microsoft employees, I'm relatively new here but hopefully if they are out there they can chime in.

The baseball reference went over my head, I'm not much of a sports fan lol.

wpn00b

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
From the wording of that post touch is disabled in Safe Mode(they wrote 'enabled' but I took it as a typo).

I'll look up that post and see if they are able to answer general questions or not.

LOL no problem about the reference. It wasn't important

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss