Even windows 95 was better than 10!

tbirdbooboo

Aug 11, 2015
Visit site
Basicly Im annoyed and font know what to do other than go and buy a apple!

Computer I have is Acer Aspire v5-123
And duel core processor E1-2100 (1ghz)
2gb ddr3 memory, 320 gb hdd.

Was running Windows 8 from new and had the update to 8.1 and it worked... Not as well as 7 and nowhere near as smooth as 98 but it worked.

Today I got the windows 10 update and so far.... Well I would be happy with Windows 95 right now as that was faster!

4 hours to install and I have now had it installed for nearly 6 hours and want to see how far I can throw the laptop...
Since the install:
It's sooo slow to turn on and get to the desktop, slow to do ANYTHING.
I can hear the processes constantly working.
Start button only works if I right click it and then it takes a while before anything happens and clicking on anything from the start menu takes a lifetime to load.
On the taskbar there are two icons which don't load up - store and what I believe is edge but I don't know as I cant sodding see or use them!

I have restarted the computer a couple of times and it still isn't working right.
Then...
Windows defender decided it wanted to do a 'quick ' scan.... That was over an hour and a half ago........

Basically I'm over this now......

I'm not a computer genius just a normal guy and all I find online is in word.. Gobbledegook.
Man wants clean straightforward English answers.... Not, or get your log of whatnot and input your datastreem log file bla bla.....

What can I do to fix this **** other than buy something non Microsoft lol

mjperry51

Jul 1, 2013
Visit site

You're on the low end of hardware compatibility, my friend. To expect a 2015 OS to run as well on that platform as Win 95 is just not rational. . .

Ma Rio

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
Even with that configuration, it Win10 shouldn't be a terrible experience. Could be you configured it bad, or messed up the installation.

tbirdbooboo

Aug 11, 2015
Visit site
Thanks for the replies: like I said I don't know much on computers, wether certain bits are good or not - he'll theres a sticker with the spec written on it that's all I know lol
but I reckon it's crap that I kept getting notifications about this update, and then it says hey your ready, wasted hours installing it which I now need to undo......... Microsoft should have had a system to check if your computer is compatible or a way of saying minimum requirements etc
It just said hey here you go and now I can't do jack!

Disappointed that's all.

Closingracer

Jul 31, 2015
Visit site
Thanks for the replies: like I said I don't know much on computers, wether certain bits are good or not - he'll theres a sticker with the spec written on it that's all I know lol
but I reckon it's crap that I kept getting notifications about this update, and then it says hey your ready, wasted hours installing it which I now need to undo......... Microsoft should have had a system to check if your computer is compatible or a way of saying minimum requirements etc
It just said hey here you go and now I can't do jack!

Disappointed that's all.

Your computer is technically compatible. After a few weeks with updates should probably fix it. You can always downgrade back to Windows 8 and wait until later to upgrade

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

juanitoriv

Windows 10 Champion
Sep 1, 2012
Visit site

I understand the frustration, but please consider that your PC has lower specs than most phones these days. That said, I'm certain there are a few ways to boost performance without throwing $$ at it.

First, try Disk Cleanup and then Disk Defragmenter, both found in Control Panel>Administrative Tools, to reclaim and organize HDD space. The CPU now doesn't have to wade through un-needed & scattered files all over the place.

How many tasks are loaded at startup? You check this in Task Manager. You've seen it when you right-click it. There's the Start-Up tab. Go through it and disable everything that you don't need. These consume resources better spent on getting you going.

Also, you can try lowering the frame rate of your display if your GPU (graphics card) allows the change. This option should be in Control Panel>Display>Adjust Resolution> Advanced Settings. Look in the tabs for anything related to Frame Refresh Rate. It will read something like 60p Hz. A lower number will sacrifice some quality, not much, and allow your machine to run quicker with the extra resources.

Lastly, go to Acer's website to Support and check if there are any driver, bios, utility downloads for the W10 upgrade available. If you're lucky like I am with my Lenovo, Acer will have them sorted nicely for you so you can just download/run the pertinent ones and then install them all at once. If not, you open Device Manager, again right-click Start, you'll see a tree with all of your PC's goodies. You'll just have to cross check the revision numbers to if you have the most current SW available.

Those are the easiest & free-est ways to boost your performance. After that, you need some moderate to serious Techie/Nerd/Geek juju or you've got to drop some coin, and with the specs your machine has, you might be better off looking at something new, just saying. I hear HP has some intriguing stuff for the $$.

I am hoping all/any of this helps. Good luck!! Please let me know your results.

Last edited:

tangledW

Banned
Aug 11, 2014
Visit site

Was running Windows 8 from new and had the update to 8.1 and it worked... Not as well as 7 and nowhere near as smooth as 98 but it worked.

Today I got the windows 10 update and so far.... Well I would be happy with Windows 95 right now as that was faster!

4 hours to install and I have now had it installed for nearly 6 hours and want to see how far I can throw the laptop...
Since the install:
Start button only works if I right click it and then it takes a while before anything happens and clicking on anything from the start menu takes a lifetime to load.
On the taskbar there are two icons which don't load up - store and what I believe is edge but I don't know as I cant sodding see or use them!

I have restarted the computer a couple of times and it still isn't working right.
Then...
Windows defender decided it wanted to do a 'quick ' scan.... That was over an hour and a half ago........

I'm not a computer genius just a normal guy and all I find online is in word.. Gobbledegook.
Man wants clean straightforward English answers.... Not, or get your log of whatnot and input your datastreem log file bla bla.....

I have an old laptop with similar specs that originally had Vista on it. I updated it to W8, and it became much faster, recently updated to W10 and it's actually slightly faster.

I think your computer is probably just junk, but that's my opinion.

You can try to optimize settings, revert back to Windows 8 (but hurry, I think there's a time limit to revert), or step into the present and get a new PC.

Chung Wei Leong

Aug 7, 2014
Visit site
I have an old laptop with similar specs that originally had Vista on it. I updated it to W8, and it became much faster, recently updated to W10 and it's actually slightly faster.

I think your computer is probably just junk, but that's my opinion.

You can try to optimize settings, revert back to Windows 8 (but hurry, I think there's a time limit to revert), or step into the present and get a new PC.
If you upgrade it from windows 8.1, for sure it will very slow, the installation need to migrate the 8.1 setting & file to 10. And after installation, your system drive might became fragmented..all you you need to do is try defragment the HDD by using software like auslogic defrag.

I also experienced this issue, it takes about 1++ minute to boot, after maintenances, it's only 10++ seconds to boot, which just like on 8.1.

Tsang Fai

Aug 11, 2014
Visit site

Since the install:

Then...

I think your case is more to do with hardware compatability instead of the real usage experience of Windows 10.

So I advise you should better use a more meaningful subject for your post. I also sincerely advise you to consult the vendor before upgrading to Windows 10.

colinkiama

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
Install all your updates, uninstall antivirus like avast or MacAfee since they just got up resources now. Windows 10 has one built in. I don't know why but uninstalling avast really sped up my old dual core Pentium laptop.

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
OT: Long live Windows 95 ! (I have it in a VM and you can even browse this site with it), It's funny when you go back to the FIRST OS with the start menu, then go back to even Windows 10 to compare it, even Windows 7 was almost the same thing just added to it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oliveeAria