Example why Cortana is not outside USA

colinkiama

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
Pump your brakes Longshanks, its not about looking cool. I'm not one of those kids you xbox with. Let me try to break down my language to you. It costs MONEY to litigate a case. It costs MS money when the EU tells MS you better watch your tacos when you do business over here otherwise, we are taking you back to court. Just because a case is 7 years old son, has no bearing on the letter of the law. At least not in the EU it doesn't. They wanted to NAIL MS to the cross because of an accidental, (at least MS called it accidental) disregard of giving Windows users a browser choice when Windows 8 dropped. This is why MS takes its time in some countries than others. It costs them real money. I don't know if it is any clearer to you based on your point of reference, but from my read of history and this case, there isn't any other conclusion to draw from it.
exactly, that's why they are SLOWLY rolling it out. To make sure there are no mistakes so EU can't pin them down again.

Markham Ranja

Banned
Jan 21, 2014
Visit site
Pump your brakes Longshanks, its not about looking cool. I'm not one of those kids you xbox with. Let me try to break down my language to you. It costs MONEY to litigate a case. It costs MS money when the EU tells MS you better watch your tacos when you do business over here otherwise, we are taking you back to court. Just because a case is 7 years old son, has no bearing on the letter of the law. At least not in the EU it doesn't. They wanted to NAIL MS to the cross because of an accidental, (at least MS called it accidental) disregard of giving Windows users a browser choice when Windows 8 dropped. This is why MS takes its time in some countries than others. It costs them real money. I don't know if it is any clearer to you based on your point of reference, but from my read of history and this case, there isn't any other conclusion to draw from it.

Again, that is Windows which enjoys a majority of the marketshare. WP doesn't, therefore there is no question of antitrust, therefore the EU Competition Commission doesn't care.

If MS is really doing this, when every other company like Apple and Google seem to be able to release everything everywhere (for the most part), it just doesn't look good.

colinkiama

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
Again, that is Windows which enjoys a majority of the marketshare. WP doesn't, therefore there is no question of antitrust, therefore the EU Competition Commission doesn't care.

If MS is really doing this, when every other company like Apple and Google seem to be able to release everything everywhere (for the most part), it just doesn't look good.
Siri started as a beta that was only in the US so why are you complaining, it will come to you.

anony_mouse

Banned
Aug 10, 2013
Visit site
Siri started as a beta that was only in the US so why are you complaining, it will come to you.

To the majority of the world, it looks like an insult, and it clearly shows where Microsoft's priorities lie. We take that into account when we decide what products to buy.

paulsalter

Oct 24, 2013
Visit site
So is it not an insult to the rest of the world when google don't bring all features of Google Now to the world at the same time?

Not sure on Siri, but is the experience on this the same everywhere in the world?

prasath1234

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
Ya this indifferent attitudes by Ms towards rest of the world is going to cost for the Ms.

Sent from my C2305 using WPCentral Forums mobile app

HarkAtYou

Mar 27, 2013
Visit site
Just a thought. But lots of people have said you can change your regional settings to activate Cortana. I wonder if this will be like activating siri on an iphone 4?.

Many people were angry that when siri came out it was only available on the iphone 4s and newer. Essentially the reason for this was that apple wanted everyone to upgrade, and there was no other reason to, they were basically the same phone.

People with jailbroken phones were able to quite merrily install siri and it worked perfectly well showing that there was no physical reason not to allow it.

However whilst siri the app worked perfectly well (as it has when it was a downloadable app in the store, made by someone else), apple had blocked access to the severs to anyone without an iphone 4s or iPad 3, so on an iphone 4 it would just fail to find results.

So i wonder if Cortana would be the same, she would be there but just ignore you?

By the way, even though siri went global at launch, she was only available if you spent another ?500 upgrading early, Cortana may be delayed to all countries, but at least she's free for all, even existing wp8 handsets (ignoring ofcourse wp7, but they are very old, made differently and have a low share these days).

Oh and not only that, but apple also stopped anyone who had previously purchased the siri app from the developer from being able to use it anymore. They all still got over it and bought a new phone. Lol

Foma Kiniaev

Apr 2, 2014
Visit site
Just a thought. But lots of people have said you can change your regional settings to activate Cortana. I wonder if this will be like activating siri on an iphone 4?.

Many people were angry that when siri came out it was only available on the iphone 4s and newer. Essentially the reason for this was that apple wanted everyone to upgrade, and there was no other reason to, they were basically the same phone.

People with jailbroken phones were able to quite merrily install siri and it worked perfectly well showing that there was no physical reason not to allow it.

However whilst siri the app worked perfectly well (as it has when it was a downloadable app in the store, made by someone else), apple had blocked access to the severs to anyone without an iphone 4s or iPad 3, so on an iphone 4 it would just fail to find results.

So i wonder if Cortana would be the same, she would be there but just ignore you?

By the way, even though siri went global at launch, she was only available if you spent another ?500 upgrading early, Cortana may be delayed to all countries, but at least she's free for all, even existing wp8 handsets (ignoring ofcourse wp7, but they are very old, made differently and have a low share these days).

Oh and not only that, but apple also stopped anyone who had previously purchased the siri app from the developer from being able to use it anymore. They all still got over it and bought a new phone. Lol
100% agree! Even the cheapest 520 will get this feature for free and well polished when arribes to your regi?n.

prasath1234

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
But Apple are world leaders in smartphone they can afford to do such things but if ms does the same thing it will be doom for them.that's just my opinion

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
But Apple are world leaders in smartphone they can afford to do such things but if ms does the same thing it will be doom for them.that's just my opinion

According to who, Apple. As far as I can tell it's Android that's the leader now.

Foma Kiniaev

Apr 2, 2014
Visit site

You will see that it will not. 2015 will be big year for them, with win 9, wp 9 (??), platform integration, Cortana worldwide and maybe even on desktops. They're just wrapping up things now.

prasath1234

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
That wont happen because of apple fan boys who will spend a fortune whether they innovate or not.once apple come with large screen perhaps 4.5 to 5 inch even android fan boys go for apple iPhone 6 or whatever called.nd only apple will have that mamooth 80-90% share.so they will be the only profitable company even Samsung will sink if that happen.then imagine the plight of wp8.

paulsalter

Oct 24, 2013
Visit site
look forward to seeing the new iPhone later this year

Even if it's a bigger size I cannot see iPhone share rising to 80 to 90%, the share is dropping in most places outside the US

prasath1234

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
I meant all the people who buy flagship will only buy apple iPhone so Samsung or any company will fail in the high android.i did not talk about low end market share.i only implied flagship phones.in the low end only android will rule till eternity maybe in mid end wo may rule.Flagship phones buyer will spend even one million dollars for huge screen iPhone with so called gold.

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
That wont happen because of apple fan boys who will spend a fortune whether they innovate or not.once apple come with large screen perhaps 4.5 to 5 inch even android fan boys go for apple iPhone 6 or whatever called.nd only apple will have that mamooth 80-90% share.so they will be the only profitable company even Samsung will sink if that happen.then imagine the plight of wp8.

People said the same thing when the iPhone 5s came out, I'm still waiting to see that 80-90% market share from Apple!!!

Foma Kiniaev

Apr 2, 2014
Visit site

And what? These fan boys dont even know whats Cortana, and if they do know - they dont bother. Doesnt matter how good Cortana is, its not a game changer for that audience. But Cortana will be something that many ppl that can afford only L520 would be able to experience without having to pay 600?.. Its technology for equality, it gives Access to top technology to broad audiencee

anony_mouse

Banned
Aug 10, 2013
Visit site
So is it not an insult to the rest of the world when google don't bring all features of Google Now to the world at the same time?

Not sure on Siri, but is the experience on this the same everywhere in the world?

I was talking about Cortana (such a depressing name), not Google Now or Siri. The same applies to them. Are you implying that I said it doesn't? Why do you think that?

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
But sTILL iPhone 5s is only 4 inches.

Doesn't matter, everywhere except the US Apple is in decline and a 4.5" - 5" display isn't going to be the game changer you think it is, especially since those size phones have been out for a while from other manufacturers.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss