Expansys-USA 640 XL Arrived

enixon

Feb 16, 2013
Visit site
Hey guys!

I just wanted to share my thoughts on what I received from Expansys today. I can't post links, but I bought it from Expansys-USA, and I ordered the "Microsoft Lumia 640 XL (Orange)". I emailed them before I placed the order for the band information to see if it would work on AT&T LTE. Within a day, I was told it would not work on LTE over in the USA. I placed the order anyway, since I don't really care about LTE too much, I have WiFi almost everywhere I go.

Regardless, I received the 640 XL today, and I received the 640 XL Dual SIM variant (RM-1096_1001). I was surprised, since there was no mention of dual SIM. I popped in my AT&T SIM and was surprised when I saw 4G. There was no option for LTE, but I think 4G in this case means LTE since it's an International phone. I was getting speeds up to 54MBps, though that wasn't a cap.

If you guys have any questions, I will be checking this thread periodically.

Last edited:

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
Don't some US carriers use 4G to describe HSPA+ though, most dual SIM devices don't have LTE anyway and looking at the specs that seem to be the case with the 640 XL variant you have.

enixon

Feb 16, 2013
Visit site
If you read the specs on their website, it lists bands that are clearly supported by AT&T. I have the following on my phone: 4G HSPA+ 3G 2G and G. So if 4G is above HSPA+, then that kind of has to be LTE. Where I live, I can't get anything faster than 5MBps on 3G. The fact I am getting the same speeds on 4G as I do with LTE on an iPhone 6+.

So, I am saying confidently that I am getting LTE. I have never received speeds like this on 3G, ever.

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
There's a difference in terminology, US carriers use 4G to describe both LTE and HSPA+ whereas here in the UK 4G is LTE and HSPA+ is... well... HSPA+.

In the US:

4G HSPA+
4G LTE

In the UK:

HSPA+
LTE

Every spec page I can find lists that particular phone as 3.5G aka HSPA+. The crucial thing is whether the comma is before or after the HSPA+ in the spec listing on the box.

Last edited:

enixon

Feb 16, 2013
Visit site
I guess I didn't emphasize this enough. I have the 640 XL Dual SIM LTE model. It supports Band 7 (Which is what AT&T uses for LTE in my area). I get G, 2G, 3G, HSPA+, and 4G. 4G is being used instead of LTE. No phone in the US has 54MBps down on 3G. I am getting 4G. I am not arguing or saying I have anything out of the ordinary, I am letting people know that on the Expansys-USA site, they have it labeled incorrectly and you are getting the LTE model.

When I get home, I will post the box that shows which bands it supports (it basically supports every LTE band I've ever seen).

So again, the model I have, which was ordered on Expansys-USA is giving me LTE, regardless of what specs you are looking at.

enixon

Feb 16, 2013
Visit site
According to Microsoft's site, again, have the LTE model which supports ALL of the bands that I use for AT&T. You didn't read my thread and simply looked up the wrong phone.

I have the DUAL SIM LTE 640 XL, which supports AT&T's LTE bands where I live. There isn't an argument, this is fact according to the box I received and Microsoft's website.

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
According to Microsoft's site, again, have the LTE model which supports ALL of the bands that I use for AT&T. You didn't read my thread and simply looked up the wrong phone.

I have the DUAL SIM LTE 640 XL, which supports AT&T's LTE bands where I live. There isn't an argument, this is fact according to the box I received and Microsoft's website.

I did read it and looked up the correct phone. Does the box state 4G HSPA+ or 4G, HSPA+?

As I've stated before US carriers use 4G for both HSPA+ and LTE.

Scienceguy Labs

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
Quick question: When using the dual SIM on AT&T, do you get the SIM error due to the other SIM slot being empty every time you power off/on the phone?

enixon

Feb 16, 2013
Visit site
I did read it and looked up the correct phone. Does the box state 4G HSPA+ or 4G, HSPA+?

I don't have the box on me, but regardless of what it states (4G, HSPA+, or 4G HSPA+) it lists ALL of the bands on AT&T's LTE. So I am getting LTE speeds, regardless of what you say/think. If you looked up the same phone as I did, you would see all of the LTE bands it lists, which is the same as my phone.

I'm not sure what you are trying to say here. I bought a phone, it has LTE bands for USA. I am using said LTE bands to get over 50MBps down speeds. I am getting LTE in America on a global phone. There is literally nothing to argue about or debate... I'm very confused.

ashram

Jan 30, 2013
Visit site

Not really true. In the US, on every phone I have played with when on LTE, it shows LTE on both Windows and Android phones that I have had hands on. (just checked again, at work we have a table with various phones and carriers) 4G is used for hspa+ as well as 3G conections. For marketing reasons, 4G describes both HSPA+ and LTE.

enixon

Feb 16, 2013
Visit site
Not really true. In the US, on every phone I have played with when on LTE, it shows LTE on both Windows and Android phones that I have had hands on. (just checked again, at work we have a table with various phones and carriers) 4G is used for hspa+ as well as 3G conections. For marketing reasons, 4G describes both HSPA+ and LTE.

Again... I've had HSPA+ pop up when I'm in a terrible connection area, then it goes back to 4G when I am out of it. So if 4G is above HSPA+....that makes it LTE? No?

Regardless, now that I'm in Cherry Hill, I am getting 45MBps down on "4G". I have a phone that is right next to me (iPhone 6+) and has "LTE" listed on it, and is getting 45MBps. I don't care what terminology the phone is using, I am getting LTE (USA terminology) speeds on an ADVERTISED LTE (USA TERMINOLOGY) phone. I don't know what the argument is. This is a global phone, and I am getting LTE speeds (USA TERMINOLOGY). I don't care what the icon means or is actually representing, I am getting faster than HSPA+ (USA TERMINOLOGY) speeds.

So again, this "LTE" (USA TERMINOLOGY) phone with LTE (USA TERMINOLOGY) bands supported by AT&T, I am getting LTE (USA TERMINOLOGY) speeds in America.

When I get home I will gladly post a picture of the bands this phone supports. I don't care what 4G means on this phone, because it is representing LTE (USA TERMINOLOGY) speeds. I know the difference between HSPA+ and LTE in America, and both have popped up on my phone.

(I didn't misquote you, I am just trying to make one general post about the facts I am getting because it's getting screwed up here with all of these posts. I didn't mean for it to be rude.)

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
Again... I've had HSPA+ pop up when I'm in a terrible connection area, then it goes back to 4G when I am out of it. So if 4G is above HSPA+....that makes it LTE? No?

Regardless, now that I'm in Cherry Hill, I am getting 45MBps down on "4G". I have a phone that is right next to me (iPhone 6+) and has "LTE" listed on it, and is getting 45MBps. I don't care what terminology the phone is using, I am getting LTE (USA terminology) speeds on an ADVERTISED LTE (USA TERMINOLOGY) phone. I don't know what the argument is. This is a global phone, and I am getting LTE speeds (USA TERMINOLOGY). I don't care what the icon means or is actually representing, I am getting faster than HSPA+ (USA TERMINOLOGY) speeds.

So again, this "LTE" (USA TERMINOLOGY) phone with LTE (USA TERMINOLOGY) bands supported by AT&T, I am getting LTE (USA TERMINOLOGY) speeds in America.

When I get home I will gladly post a picture of the bands this phone supports. I don't care what 4G means on this phone, because it is representing LTE (USA TERMINOLOGY) speeds. I know the difference between HSPA+ and LTE in America, and both have popped up on my phone.

(I didn't misquote you, I am just trying to make one general post about the facts I am getting because it's getting screwed up here with all of these posts. I didn't mean for it to be rude.)

It was my posts that caused it and I apologise, if you post a picture of the box that would be good. It's just that going on what we have here in the UK there is a clear distinction between the two networks and the point is that as ashram stated 4G is used for both which makes it even more confusing.

enixon

Feb 16, 2013
Visit site
It was my posts that caused it and I apologise, if you post a picture of the box that would be good. It's just that going on what we have here in the UK there is a clear distinction between the two networks and the point is that as ashram stated 4G is used for both which makes it even more confusing.

American carriers are terrible with the whole 4G/LTE. I am getting the same speeds as an iPhone 6+ (which is saying it's using LTE), and that's all the matters. I will post a picture when I get back home though, but it will be a few hours!

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
American carriers are terrible with the whole 4G/LTE. I am getting the same speeds as an iPhone 6+ (which is saying it's using LTE), and that's all the matters. I will post a picture when I get back home though, but it will be a few hours!

Yeah, that's the thing here in the UK there is no 4G branding just LTE so that makes it easier. I actually looked up several different model numbers of the 640XL as well as the RM-1096_1001 that you have and there seems to be multiple, unlocked, dual and single SIM versions.

enixon

Feb 16, 2013
Visit site
Yeah, that's the thing here in the UK there is no 4G branding just LTE so that makes it easier. I actually looked up several different model numbers of the 640XL as well as the RM-1096_1001 that you have and there seems to be multiple, unlocked, dual and single SIM versions.

That's Microsoft for you...lol

hcrick

Jul 24, 2013
Visit site
This is awesome news!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tallgeeselll05