Failing/crashing apps on laptop?

Brenthard

Oct 31, 2015
Visit site
Apps have suddenly started to behave strangely on my windows 10 64-bit Thinkpad e330 computer. I can't, for instance, open any of the office365 apps, there is just a window with a message telling me it cannot be done. But I also have problems with other things. Thunderbird chrashes when I try t add an attachment to a mail The same happens with Firefox when using a webmail version of outlook. So, I conclude that there is something wrong with the system.

1. I have recently had my power chord entry replaced, can this be related?

2. Or, could it have something to do with a windows 10 update?

3. Or, something else?

Brenthard

Oct 31, 2015
Visit site
I should perhaps add that there seemed to be some problems with running the PowerShell (capture attached). Capture Power Shell.JPG

davidhk129

Dec 22, 2014
Visit site
Instead of trying various possible fixes, I would suggest that you do a Repair Install ( also know as in-place upgrade install ).

Use this media creation tool link :

www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

** Don't be concerned of what you see from the link. The method below is for repair install. **

Click the Update now button.
Upgrade Assistant will appear to check if your computer is ready. If approved, it will tell you what to do next. Just follow the prompts.

You will keep your files, settings and apps.
No product key is required.
Activation is automatic.

Brenthard

Oct 31, 2015
Visit site
Pre-installed as windows 7-64 bit, but upgraded to windows 10-64 bit. Has worked fine until now. The problems started with two things:

1. Computer could not be started with power chord inserted.
2. Computer started to complain about the time not being right at start-up.

What I have done is 1. replaced the BIOS battery, 2. Had the power jack repaired (it was visibly broken). The computer was fine for a day, or so, and hasn't complained about the time-thing (so I assume the cmos battery is alright now). But now I have this new problem with crashing apps.

Tried to perform the sfc /scannow in Command Prompt, it went to 79%, but aborted after that.

davidhk129

Dec 22, 2014
Visit site
Pre-installed as windows 7-64 bit, but upgraded to windows 10-64 bit. Has worked fine until now. The problems started with two things:

1. Computer could not be started with power chord inserted.
2. Computer started to complain about the time not being right at start-up.

What I have done is 1. replaced the BIOS battery, 2. Had the power jack repaired (it was visibly broken). The computer was fine for a day, or so, and hasn't complained about the time-thing (so I assume the cmos battery is alright now). But now I have this new problem with crashing apps.

Tried to perform the sfc /scannow in Command Prompt, it went to 79%, but aborted after that.

I believe a Clean Install is the only way now.

Back up file you want to keep first.
Do you know how to do Clean Install ?
If you need instructions, please have a look at this tutorial:
https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/1950-clean-install-windows-10-a.html

The tutorial can be intimidating, being long-winded and all that.
If you have questions about the tutorial, please post back for clarification.

davidhk129

Dec 22, 2014
Visit site
In a nutshell, Clean Install involves......

Create a bootable media ( DVD or USB ).
Go to the computer's Boot Menu using the assigned F key ( such as : F2, F10, F12 etc depending on the make of the computer).
Set the Boot Menu to boot from the bootable media.
Insert the bootable media and start clean install.
During installation, product key will be asked for. Select the "I do not have a product key" option or the Skip option and continue.
Activation will be automatic when installation is completed.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BevitalGlucoPremium