Fall Creators Update Working so far

anon(5327127)

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Hello,

Just updated my Surface pro 5 (i7) and a HP Z600 workstation with no issues.

Just thought I'd balance out the, 'Waahh it doesn't work on mine' threads. Obviously I created a backup and will shortly remove the previous install, via Disk-cleanup, to recover the space.

Thanks MS.

P.s. I try to keep my machines as vanilla as possible so both of my machines did experience a clean install from new etc.

LightenSkies

Apr 25, 2016
Visit site
Fall creator update lags my 7 year old pc. I can't even play battlefield 4 on this build. So i went back to RS2 works best on my computer.

anon(5327127)

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Ideally I'd clean install both machines, with this new main release, but until there's an issue I won't bother.

Two more to go later on tonight. I'd also imagine that nVidia/AMD might need to release updated drivers.

kingtigre

Apr 6, 2015
Visit site
Day 1 Windows update to FCU on my SP4 and so far all is well. Maybe the first time I won't need to do a clean install? Fingers Crossed.

anon(5329748)

Sep 18, 2011
Visit site
Surface Pro 3 (i5 4GB) = great! No problems, and I think it performs better now.

Lenovo Yoga 2 Pro = no problems.

home-built 6-year-old i5-2600k + 16 GB RAM + Radeon HD 6500 = smooth upgrade and no problems.

ryanlrobinson

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
No issues noticed yet on either of the two higher-end systems: the desktop and the home laptop. Considered going clean install on the desktop that is arguably due for one soon anyway, but went with the upgrade in place with the Update Assistant instead and that's been fine.

Robbie_Jardine

Sep 7, 2013
Visit site
So my upgrade process went smoothly on my Gaming Rig and my laptop without any major concerns or headaches.

But I have encountered one tiny thing that annoys the hell out of me, almost every time I open Microsoft Store I am graced with the splash screen and nothing else causing me to reset the app every single time.

I have no idea what is causing the issue but it appears to replicate itself to my laptop.

Wevenhuis

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
Hello,

Just updated my Surface pro 5 (i7) and a HP Z600 workstation with no issues.

Just thought I'd balance out the, 'Waahh it doesn't work on mine' threads. Obviously I created a backup and will shortly remove the previous install, via Disk-cleanup, to recover the space.

Thanks MS.

P.s. I try to keep my machines as vanilla as possible so both of my machines did experience a clean install from new etc.

Does a back-up resolve the missing apps issue?

Strontiu

Feb 11, 2016
Visit site
All good untill now. Installed FCU using an usb created with Media Tool. A W10 N version installed on an old laptop (Dell D430 with ssd and AC wifi upgrade) upgrade and W10 Pro clean install because of corupted files after CCleaner saga. Both installs was done flawlessly in a short time.

LIEBER

Aug 1, 2015
Visit site
Few problems updating to FCU on Surface Pro 4, Dell XPS 13, Dell Workstation (6 core Xeon), Asus home media computer. However, there are 2-3 flaws:
1. The Books icon is not shown on the stationary computers under the Edge Hub, only on the two laptops. (It's been like this since April, and has not been fixed).
2. Printing from Edge -- if I try to print Jupyter Notebooks opened in Edge, only the first page gets printed, even if I request to print All pages.
3. Same horrible design choice that the UI language of UWP apps is tied to the *keyboard* choice. Why is this horrible?
-- I use English UI for Windows, since I also use applications which only exists with English UI -- I need a uniform user experience,
-- Living in a non-English speaking society, I also need to write in my native language. Thus I use a non-English (physical) keyboard. Since I touch type, I know the keyboard layout, and can easily write in English, German, Spanish, etc. from this keyboard. Of course, I do not switch physical keyboard when I write in the various languages.
-- In order to get English UI in the UWP apps, I have to choose an English (physical) keyboard as the default keyboard in the settings. But that messes up the key layout mapping on my physical keyboard -- to get correspondence between real layout as printed on the keys and the way Windows reads this, I have to manually re-select the keyboard to that of my native keyboard every time I log in... Thus, if I for some reason lock the keyboard (Win+L) to go for a short errand, when I return, I have to remember to manually change the keyboard choice on the task bar to avoid a totally corrupt text.
-- This situation gives a really, really bad impression of Windows 10/UWP apps
-- The obvious choice for default UI language for UWP apps, is the chosen Windows UI language. Alternatively, an independent setting and not tied to the chosen keyboard layout.

mc_razza

Dec 12, 2013
Visit site
No major problems installing the FCU on my Intel Compute Stick (2016). No missing apps either. The install did get stuck at 54% for a couple of hours but was ultimately successful. I run a vanilla setup so perhaps that may be why the process was largely smooth.

LIEBER

Aug 1, 2015
Visit site
Argh. I *thought* the FCU had been installed smoothly. But then I discovered some serious problems with OneDrive... I use OneDrive to sync files between 4 computers, all using the latest FCU with 64 bit Windows 10. So I have the OneDrive directory under my user name, and files in this folder are synced with the cloud.

Question: Is the new OneDrive of FCU really a directory, or is it something else? Why do I ask this question?

Case 1: traversing directory tree using (commercial tool) MATLAB, commands in console window...

>> pwd
'c:\Users'
>> cd MyUser
>> pwd
'C:\Users\MyUser'
>> cd OneDrive
... error message -- doesn't recognize OneDrive as directory

Case 2: problems with OneDrive on free tool Julia, see www.julialang.org (64 bit version)

a. Create a file named "test.jl", containing, e.g., the following single line: "y = 3.5".
b. Save this file in directory "c:\Users\MyUser". Also, save an identical copy under "c:\Users\MyUser\OneDrive"; here replace "MyUser" with your user name.
c. Start up Julia, and navigate to the first location...

julia> cd("c:/Users/MyUser")
julia> pwd()
"c:\\Users\\MyUser"

julia> include("test.jl")

julia> cd("c:/Users/MyUser/OneDrive")
julia> pwd()
"c:\\Users\\MyUser\\OneDrive"

julia> include("test.jl")
ERROR: could not open file c:\Users\MyUser\OneDrive\test.jl
Stacktrace:
[1] include_from_node1:):String) at .\loading.jl:569
[2] include:):String) at .\sysimg.jl:14

In Julia, it is possible to traverse the directory tree... but there is still a problem with the OneDrive directory.

For both MATLAB and Julia, this worked prior to FCU.

QUESTION: Bug or "feature"? Or simply some settings that need to be changed?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JacobColline