Fan Noise (i5) - Which Usage Scenarios Trigger the Fan to Come on?

zkyevolved

Nov 7, 2014
Visit site
I hear my 1545 sp4 fan while playing Hearthstone while streaming music from Google music in the browser to Bluetooth speakers! That's just about it. Just hearthstone and it's silent. I also put it to low graphics.

slysy

Jun 13, 2011
Visit site
My experience so far is that the fan has not come on except during gaming (and initial setup/indexing). It was quite loud when it did come on.

zkyevolved

Nov 7, 2014
Visit site
My i5 doesn't turn the fan on at all while playing hearthstone unless I'm switching between Hearthstone and a web browser while waiting for other players. I love the gestures. So natural! But if it's JUST hearthstone, it doesn't come on. I'm thinking of creating a profile to lower the CPU while Hearthstoning, and avoid the fan completely.

Nimdock

Aug 10, 2011
Visit site
I have an SP4 i7/16GB/256GB and I am very disappointed with the amount of noise this thing makes.

I returned my SP3 because of that reason and I waited patiently for over a year (using a very old laptop) for the SP4 to be ready. I thought Microsoft would get it right by this iteration but the amount of noise remains high. (Never had an issue in this regard with my SP2).

I might end up returning this one as well as to me the level of noise and the amount of times that fan needs to kick in is unacceptable. The fan kicks in for menial things such as a small change in the OneDrive folder that triggers a sync, watching a youtube video... Sometimes just viewing web pages.

I love the tablet itself. It's gorgeous, fast, the screen is amazing... I have been trying to get past the noise and tell myself that maybe it's in my head... But then the fan kicks again and tells me that perhaps it is not.

slysy

Jun 13, 2011
Visit site
I have an SP4 i7/16GB/256GB and I am very disappointed with the amount of noise this thing makes.

I returned my SP3 because of that reason and I waited patiently for over a year (using a very old laptop) for the SP4 to be ready. I thought Microsoft would get it right by this iteration but the amount of noise remains high. (Never had an issue in this regard with my SP2).

I might end up returning this one as well as to me the level of noise and the amount of times that fan needs to kick in is unacceptable. The fan kicks in for menial things such as a small change in the OneDrive folder that triggers a sync, watching a youtube video... Sometimes just viewing web pages.

I love the tablet itself. It's gorgeous, fast, the screen is amazing... I have been trying to get past the noise and tell myself that maybe it's in my head... But then the fan kicks again and tells me that perhaps it is not.

Have you tried disabling flash in your browser?
Have you tried the trick to force chrome to use hardware decoding?

Nimdock

Aug 10, 2011
Visit site
Have you tried disabling flash in your browser?
Have you tried the trick to force chrome to use hardware decoding?
Thanks for the reply slysy. I use Firefox and don't have Flash installed. All HTML5 videos.

In Firefox I do have hardware acceleration enabled.

shkelzen gjonbalaj

Nov 10, 2015
Visit site
What I have noticed is that if I watch videos either youtube/foxsoccer2go/watchespn/etc using Chrome the FAN will kick in after about 5-10 minutes of watching the videos. However if I switch to EDGE, the fan never kicks in even after watching for 1+ hours. I haven't tested this with IE yet but I am able to replicate this with Chrome and EDGE every time.

boltman2013

Banned
May 12, 2014
Visit site
My experience so far is that the fan has not come on except during gaming (and initial setup/indexing). It was quite loud when it did come on.

M3 WEI.... Scale 1-9.9 (Posted to wrong response someone was asking M3 performance)

The Windows Experience is still there--even in build 9860. However, the GUI was retired with Windows 8. If you want to run the experience, which is really called the "Windows System Assessment Tool," you must run it from the command line..

Type winsat formal -v -xml c:\winstatresults.xml

My M3 (Fanless)...

</SystemEnvironment>

-<WinSPR>

<SystemScore>5.6</SystemScore>

<MemoryScore>5.9</MemoryScore>
Physical memory available to the OS is less than 4.0GB-64MB on a 64-bit OS : limit mem score to 5.9

<CpuScore>7.1</CpuScore>

<CPUSubAggScore>7.1</CPUSubAggScore>

<VideoEncodeScore>7.1</VideoEncodeScore>

<GraphicsScore>5.6</GraphicsScore>

<Dx9SubScore>9.9</Dx9SubScore>

<Dx10SubScore>9.9</Dx10SubScore>

<GamingScore>9.9</GamingScore>

Last edited: