Fix for Cortana wifi issue !

ajj3085

Aug 29, 2013
Visit site
Scroogle? Are you 12?

Changing your DNS settings does NOT redirect all your traffic through Google. DNS is a service for translating a hostname (e.g. ???????쏊) to an IP address. After that lookup is done, traffic flows as usual.

Changing your DNS settings may have negative consequences, for example if you use services specific to your ISP. It may break things in unexpected ways. Do it with care.

It does however send every dns name you ask for to them, and they can tie the origin of the request (your IP address) back to other things they know about you, such as the DoubleClick cookie or other tracking cookies you almost certainly have.

anony_mouse

Banned
Aug 10, 2013
Visit site
It does however send every dns name you ask for to them, and they can tie the origin of the request (your IP address) back to other things they know about you, such as the DoubleClick cookie or other tracking cookies you almost certainly have.

The first part is correct. The second part is more difficult. It assumes:
- your IP address doesn't change - true for some people, but not for most.
- assuming you are using IPv4 and are behind a NAT (which you probably are), it assumes there is only one person using the broadband connection. If you are behind multiple layers of NAT (which is common in many parts of the world and on most mobile networks), you may be sharing an external IP address with thousands of other people.

Edit: as far as I know, the DNS provider (Google in this case) can't tell if either of the points above apply, which they probably will in most cases. So they can't reliably link a DNS lookup to a user. So I think you can safely use Google DNS without worrying about privacy issues. I'm happy to be corrected by a DNS expert if I'm wrong.

Last edited:

Shadowlink1138

Nov 21, 2013
Visit site
Charter is my ISP in Ellensburg, WA. Cortana was not working over wifi but all other browsing and downloads worked fine. I configured my router to use OpenDNS. After first experiencing a complete loss of all internet connectivity across multiple devices, I restarted my router and cable modem. She's now working (and so is everything else). Thanks!

Jason Drum

May 28, 2013
Visit site

Etyrnus

Dec 29, 2011
Visit site
Keeping this on the first page. I did this and it worked. Cortana working on home wifi just fine now. Thanks!!!

BTW, I'm on TWC outside of Cleveland.

I was getting frustrated with the issue myself, and started searching for ways to fix it. I had tried the proxy DNS thing on my phone and it made it laggy and slow. So I started digging a little deeper and came across this, and wanted to share so others on TWC could see if it fixed it for them.

wild-bill-hiccup

Jun 9, 2014
Visit site
Ive just purchased my first Windows Phone ( Nokia 630 ) and managed to set up Cortana , but I'm getting two Cortana voice messages

1. I Can't connect to the interet at the moment Try again in a little bit

2. Sorry the internet and I aren't talking right now

Ive set my home Wi-Fi router from 8.8.8. / 8.8.4.4 to 208.67.222.222 and 208.67.220.220 , and I can access the interent on my phone with a browser ok , via my Wi-Fi router , but still I am getting the two Cortana messages shown above , I think ive tried every thing I can think of to resolve this problem but no luck , so I just wondered if the's been an up date on this issue ?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oliveeAria