Flaws i've noticed in Windows Phone 8

jhguth

Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
WP7 keyboard >>>>>>> WP8 keyboard. my typing speed has decreased significantly. I'm assuming this is due to the increased DPI.

Also, WP8 is in serious need of a PDF viewer/editor.

Slai

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
Not really, I have two apps to view PDFs in.

And the typing speed IME from WP7.5 to WP8 is significantly improved. This is probably due to the fact that my WP7.5 device was a 3.7" unit while my WP8 one is a 4.5" one.

I like how everybody comes to this thread to nitpick at the weakest flaw in the list and feel big. Nobody even bothered to talk about the keyboard for example - because that would involve admitting that it could do with improvement.

I didnt mention it because there was nothing to add. Its true. Thats not nitpicking, thats purely logical. I merely stated the things I had something to say about/add to.

it's also not an excuse to come into a thread, call "troll" and start high-fiving each other, sigh

I never did, now did I.

edit: if the above comments werent directed at me or a group that you feel includes me, then Im sorry for assuming.

thekonger

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
jcagg, we can only hope MS and Nokia give us more control but for now we can be happy we all feel WP8 is better than iOS and Android.

With iOS and Andorid I could never find things quickly enough. The screen brightness was terrible to maintain, battery life was sketchy, updates were slow, the UI was terrible, etc. The biggest thing though, is WP8 allows us to access our data quicker and easier than iOS and Android so if nothing else we should be happy there.

iamtim

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Nobody even bothered to talk about the keyboard for example - because that would involve admitting that it could do with improvement.

Or, maybe perhaps, most people don't think the keyboard needs improvement? I love my 820's keyboard, it's better for me than my iPhone 4 keyboard was, and I don't even put Android keyboards in the same ball park (I hated my Samsung Captivate keyboard, and my Nexus 7 keyboard was only "ok" because it was big.) So that's a big jump for you to assume what you just assumed there.

jhguth

Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
If you switched to WP8 from something other than WP7, you probably think the keyboard is great. If you switched to WP8 from WP7, you might not like the keyboard.

tk-093

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
The only 'Flaws' for me right now are,
  1. Lackof Swipe (or other custom keyboards)
  2. Lack of segregated volume controls.
  3. Lackof custom SMS sounds
  4. Lackof playing GSM6.1 wav files (corporate voicemails.. Can't roll out phones to corporate users until this is fixed.)
  5. No S/MIME (Can't move more users away from Blackberry until this is added, though BB10 will probably be out first and they will just upgrade to that)
  6. Lack of some type of family Zune/XBox Music pass so I don't have to share one live ID between my wife and I.

Otherwise I'm pretty happy with WP8 so far. So far only #3 is potentially a deal breaker for me to allow these in the Enterprise.

stmav

Retired Moderator
Sep 18, 2012
Visit site
So is it safe to say that most of the flaws are the same ones in just about every other thread started about flaws? Not that flaws need to be hidden, buried or not discussed. But maybe kept in one stickied thread. That way there won't be as much repetition and people won't get upset when others don't think their thread is a brilliant as they do.

jcagga

Banned
Jun 4, 2011
Visit site
jcagg, we can only hope MS and Nokia give us more control but for now we can be happy we all feel WP8 is better than iOS and Android.

With iOS and Andorid I could never find things quickly enough. The screen brightness was terrible to maintain, battery life was sketchy, updates were slow, the UI was terrible, etc. The biggest thing though, is WP8 allows us to access our data quicker and easier than iOS and Android so if nothing else we should be happy there.

Oh believe me, I'm happier with wp8 than I did with wp7. But the issue is that some same wp8 features that are from/ found on wp7 do poorly. But that's just small percentages out of all the things I like about wp8. Even so those small percentages are noticeable and would make even better experience if get fixed/improved :]

Last edited:

jcagga

Banned
Jun 4, 2011
Visit site
XBox Music: I tried your example three times, Tim McGraw, Kid Rock, and Eminem. Each time I would back out to the artist list and it would be right where I left off. I blame the Blondes. :wink:]

do you use this function called add to now playing? Could you try using this when playing any music while you are experimenting? You can do it by either tap and hold the song or tap the three dots on the bottom right and tap add to now playing. Also there is this neat trick to go to the music player directly from anywhere by press volume button to bring down the player controller then tap the name of the song that's now playing to go to the player fast! Very powerful feature. (also if you want to jump to specific song you want to hear from the album, you can do so by the steps I told you earlier, then you will see the name of the songs on the bottom left, tap it and can choose manually). Not sure if you knew this but thought you should know.

jcagga

Banned
Jun 4, 2011
Visit site
Or, maybe perhaps, most people don't think the keyboard needs improvement? I love my 820's keyboard, it's better for me than my iPhone 4 keyboard was, and I don't even put Android keyboards in the same ball park (I hated my Samsung Captivate keyboard, and my Nexus 7 keyboard was only "ok" because it was big.) So that's a big jump for you to assume what you just assumed there.

Please read carefully I said its a let down compared to "wp7" keyboard ;]

Sumit8

May 5, 2012
Visit site
Another potential trolls-feeding thread..

I am getting so sick & tired of this weeners & whiners threads.
We have to learn to be contented with what we have instead finding flaws. There's more to life than cry-baby trivia.

Whats the matter with you. This is a forum not a ******-forum. People are here to discuss awesomeness and flaws of WP. Seriously whats wrong with you?

Slai

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
Which ones? PDF Reader does not work on non 8.5"x11" PDFs, its useless for reviewing drawings.

Kindle and PDF reader atm, perhaps Nokia Reader also lets you open PDFs, I havent tried opening one with that yet.

I dont know about the quality of Kindle as a PDF viewer, though, as I havent really gotten fully into PDFing on the phone (just a crazy random happenstance that ive had almost no PDFs to peruse since I got the beast).

JerseySal

Aug 7, 2012
Visit site
Just because you're perfect doesn't mean that everything else will be. You have to have some patience for everything to be up to your astronomical standards. :)

jhguth

Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
How do you open PDF's in Kindle? I don't think Kindle can view PDFs.

This phone is getting returned this weekend if I can't figure out how to review a PDF drawing that's emailed to me.

Slai

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
Yeah the kindle thing might be an error on my part, I could be confusing kindle for N9 with the WP-kindle.

I just got my 920 back in hand and I couldnt find a way to open a PDF file through kindle.

Ive been sick for a few weeks, obviously my mind has left me.

Sorry for the confusion :)

edit: I figured ouit how you can review a PDF drawing thats emailed to you: open it on your computer. Im sure a better PDF viewer will be along shortly

Or try PDFy on the market? It could work.

cp2_4eva

Mar 19, 2012
Visit site
Although the whole "flaws in WP8" threads have been beaten to death, partially by myself, I am glad they exists, so if anyone at MS or any WP8 OEM are looking, they can get off of their keister and probably do something about these flaws, shortcoming, snafus, hiccups, etc. Some people see flaws, but aren't passionate about their device or devices choices, so they just let them be. Others like many folks here at WPcentral are passionate about WP and want it to succeed in the best way possible. Closed mouths don't get fed. I hope the squeaky wheel finally does get the grease in a few months.

jhguth

Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
I figured ouit how you can review a PDF drawing thats emailed to you: open it on your computer.
that doesn't work when you're in the field checking on a project, or with a client and need to pull up something from a consultant to check real quick, etc...

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nehalwadehra