Forgot to turn off Reset Protection

Zendroid1

Nov 8, 2015
Visit site
I have apparently forgotten to turn off Reset Protection. I was rolling back from 10 to 8.1 in order to "debrand" my new Lumia 640 and when it rebooted it says that I forgot to turn off reset protection. It directs me to windowsphone.com and log in and select my device and then get my key there. However, when I log into the website with my email address it is showing no devices listed so I cannot get the key.

Did I just make my phone completely unusable or how can I get the recovery key? I only have one account that I use to log into my windowsphone so I'm not sure why it is not listing my device.

Any help?

Zendroid1

Nov 8, 2015
Visit site
You have to reinstall 8.1 via WDRT.

I did. But apparently I forgot to turn off reset protection so now I can't get back into my phone after the restore. I tried calling the 800 number 4 times now and they keep saying they can't help me and to take it to a "Microsoft store" for support even though I keep saying I just need help getting in.

Edit: and the chat said i need to send it in to microsoft for service and may cost up to $120.

Last edited:

Zendroid1

Nov 8, 2015
Visit site
I thought it would prompt you for your Microsoft account and password during initial setup and bypass it that way.

You are correct. I was trying to set it up over wifi without a sim so it was asking for the key only. When I put the sim in it asked for account name and pw and I am able to get in now. You'd think the people I talked to would have mentioned this over telling me to send it in and pay for repairs.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SkilDS