Frustrated To Be A Microsoft Fan Right Now?

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, me too. But I have the 1520 and I have a sneaking suspicion MS don't want to support it much longer.

If they don't support the 1520, what will they support? Anyhoo, I just rolled mine back to Denim over the weekend. It was nice to get a peek into what's coming but I'll wait until the actual release. Using the Windows Recovery Tool was a breeze and the longest part was actually downloading the 1.62GB firmware. We have these options available to us yet people still complain, go figure.

Pierre Blackwell

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
Frustrated would not be the word I would use. I am actually content with the performance of my MSFT devices and the OS's running on them. I am satisfied with my 1520, ASUS T100, Windows 7, and Windows 10 Tech preview laptops, and Xbox One. I'm not compromising my needs and wants, I don't feel hindered from a professional standpoint. What we get caught up in is the culture of living in the tech community when there are enhancements and advancements all the time. The flagship argument seems to only resonate when comparing to Android because the iPhone doesn't share the same spec sheet, yet I don't think anyone would argue that the iPhone 6 isn't a flagship phone. What defines a flagship phone as such? The processor? The memory? The display? The battery life? The price? If we as MSFT service users were truly frustrated, we'd have transitioned to another OS by now. I think we've become impatient, and in an ever evolving community, it's easy to become complacent.

Windows just works, and is efficient for me to take care of the things I need to take care of. Windows phone combines efficiency with optically pleasing aesthetics which separate them from iOS and Android. Despite some changes, Windows 10 doesn't loose what brought me to windows phone in the first place, while combining the proficiency and optimum efficiency I've grown to expect from the Windows suite. So I guess my question would be if you are indeed frustrated...why are you deciding to remain frustrated....switch to another OS.

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
If your a Microsoft fan, then why you would be fustrated?

After all you can access all their apps & services on almost any platform.

Access to the Windows ten technical preview on the desktop and next the build for phones.

Then you have Hololens and not to mention the wealth of information shared during WinHec Shenzen.

The question should be, in my opinion "Fustrated to be a Windows Phone fan right now?" :p.

fdalbor

Aug 8, 2013
Visit site
This year (starting 2015) has not been a banner year for us WP users. I am still in the boat; but I am beginning to wonder about the water accumulating in the bottom of it. I don't think its going to sink, but I plan on keeping my life jacket on. I check the Microsoft store ever day thinking they will add something (in smartphones) that I want to buy. But it has not happened. Luckly my 820 and my wife's 925 have been stellar. But I bought a Moto G lte just to see how the other side lives. Its OK; but I'll wait to see what happens. My tablets are Andorid (Kindle Fires) so I can go either way. We will see what happens, one way or the other.

Charles Brown8

Feb 14, 2015
Visit site
I'm not frustrated. As long as I can pick up my phone and use it without seeing "force close app blah with blah" I can get used to the new UI. I'm on windows phone for reliability.

jlzimmerman

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
The dragging W10 items don't annoy me, nor things like the lack of a flagship. What I am annoyed about are the basic no brainer items that shouldn't even be problems, such as:
  • MS apps being marginally better on competing platforms
  • Xbox Music not having functionality that has been the norm on other phones/MP3's for years (I'm looking at your gapless playback)
  • Removing aestetically pleasing features that were universally loved (8.0 photos hub)
  • Companies releasing half-a** apps for WP that suck. And because they suck nobody uses them, then the companies remove them citing low market share / usage

garak0410

Jan 8, 2009
Visit site
Keep calm and hold tight it will get better.

I told myself that with Windows Phone 6.5, Windows Phone 7, Zune, Windows and Windows Phone 8/8.1...and I still do...

I just can recommend Windows Phones or tablets to he casual user...to them it IS about the apps...they need Bank of America, Arkansas Game and Fish, Local Banking, Local TV stations, They want more functional Instagram and the like apps, They want the WalMart apps...it just goes on and on...I am not the "app centric" user but the casual user is...

But I will keep holding on to hope and the fact they are gaining market share (we assume) from the bottom (low end) up...

garak0410

Jan 8, 2009
Visit site
The most frustrated thing right now is how long it's taking Microsoft to release new builds of WP10. The lack of updates is making everyone nervous, and that nervousness is driving people into feedback overdrive. Too many people are rushing to judgment, doing their best to give "critical analysis" of unfinished apps. I'm using the tech preview and the software isn't just unfinished, it's barely functional. My photos app just stopped working. My camera pics are just disappearing into the ether right now. So much is simply not ready for critical analysis. But without newer builds, what are people to do? Another day, another UI concept I guess. Is Microsoft incorporating any new ideas, following through on all the feedback, making huge sweeping changes? No one knows! Until new builds start coming out, people will remain in feedback overdrive.

I am on the Lumia ICON so I am glad I didn't get this latest WP10 push...and I've actually opted out and uninstalled the app for now...

garak0410

Jan 8, 2009
Visit site
You might want to use the phone for 1 month and then look at the performance. My Galaxy S5 has slowed down considerably especially when using whatsapp or browser.

Before I went Windows Phone, I had Androids and they would all slow down, bog down and crash often over time...

garak0410

Jan 8, 2009
Visit site
This sounded almost like an intro to an infomercial to a sleep number mattress or something. I was waiting to get the "antidote" to what ails us man.
"Its not a dicer, its not a slicer, its not a chopper in a hopper and don't you want to know what it is?? lol.

Actually I was channeling the Super Bass-O-Matic... :)

garak0410

Jan 8, 2009
Visit site
The dragging W10 items don't annoy me, nor things like the lack of a flagship. What I am annoyed about are the basic no brainer items that shouldn't even be problems, such as:
  • MS apps being marginally better on competing platforms
  • Xbox Music not having functionality that has been the norm on other phones/MP3's for years (I'm looking at your gapless playback)
  • Removing aestetically pleasing features that were universally loved (8.0 photos hub)
  • Companies releasing half-a** apps for WP that suck. And because they suck nobody uses them, then the companies remove them citing low market share / usage

Yes...loved Photo Hub...and I am one of the few who loves Family Room and Rooms in general.

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
Before I went Windows Phone, I had Androids and they would all slow down, bog down and crash often over time...

They all do it. From the oldest android to the latest. They are all smoother than silk when they come right out the box. Get some apps loaded up over time and they become very clunky. I have an HTC M8 running android for work and it was smooth when I got it. Loaded up some apps and now I hate those times I need to use it. Its a clunky phone just like the others. My 1520 never skipped a beat.

c0wb0ycliche

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
I told myself that with Windows Phone 6.5, Windows Phone 7, Zune, Windows and Windows Phone 8/8.1...and I still do...

This is where I've been as well.

It gets to a point where enough is enough. I have been strongly contemplating switching to iOS. It isn't JUST the app-gap, it's a combination of so many things, of which that is a part.

The apps we do have are not updated or supported (look at Instagram.)
There are huge apps we are missing (Snapchat.)
My experience of notifications is that they are still screwed up. I'll get a notification from Facebook asking if I know someone, but won't get one for a comment. I'll get Messenger notification consistently, but (Microsoft's own) GroupMe is maybe 60%, Twitter almost never shows notifications, etc. It is just a mess. And I know that isn't the fault of the OS - its a developer issue.
On my Icon, sometimes WiFi stops connecting. On my M8, its the cell data.
While iOS and Android have full featured Office clients, we have the same as when WP launched 5 years ago.
Despite the "shared DNA" with Xbox and the existence of Smartglass, companion apps are not on WP (Destiny, Dying Light, etc.)
There is still no Google support - which unfortunately has become a necessity for students as many universities use it. So when professors and colleagues are sharing me documents, I have to use the mobile version of the Drive site to access them. It's petty, but it all adds up.
And on and on.

The most frustrating part is that they are almost at an impasse.

I don't think W10 will all of sudden spur WP app development. And if they embrace a method to use Android apps (like Amazon) what reason is there for developers to not just create Android apps? Why would anyone continue to make universal Windows apps?

What is the solution? I don't know. I'm all in (Surface, Xbox, Icon, Band, etc.) so it would be a big (and expensive) change to switch platforms, but I'm giving it til the end of the year.

I've been with Microsoft since Windows Mobile/Pocket PC days and keep waiting for it to get better... and it just seems like a pipe dream at this point. But hopefully they will prove me wrong.

/endrant lol

Bartdog

Jan 27, 2012
Visit site
I'm more concerned than frustrated. I want a flagship phone. The number of app vendors / banks/mlb, etc. pulling support really worries me.

ny_yankees

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
I am with you man and trust me so are many people. I love Microsoft so I gave the WP8 a chance, good OS, loved it, but lack of apps has cause me to be done with it.

For me it was the everyday little things that caused to be start disliking WP. Every time I went to go buy a product that you can use with your phone, turns out they only made the specifications for Apple or Google. No love for Windows Phone. Now is that Microsoft's fault? Yes or no. Microsoft just came too late in the game instead of taking the chance when they could have when Iphone came out. Remember that MS actually had a Palm type phone in the 90s and once again the company's failure to market its product, led to MS losing the phone market. Think about it, if MS had done it right, today all those Iphone fanboys and whatnot, would be actually MS fanboys.

This experience has taught me that as a consumer, fanboyism isn't really worth it. Buy the best product that whatever company is offering at the time. For me I am heading back to Android Platform.

I hope MS can be on the top one day, I wouldn't mind using the fluid OS that Window Phones have.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
They all do it. From the oldest android to the latest. They are all smoother than silk when they come right out the box. Get some apps loaded up over time and they become very clunky. I have an HTC M8 running android for work and it was smooth when I got it. Loaded up some apps and now I hate those times I need to use it. Its a clunky phone just like the others. My 1520 never skipped a beat.
How long did it take? I've been using a Moto X for a little over a month, and no lag so far.

I'm testing Windows 10 on my 920.

Sent from my Moto X using Tapatalk

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
How long did it take? I've been using a Moto X for a little over a month, and no lag so far.

I haven't rebooted my phone for almost a month. I'll race any 1520 anywhere, anytime, doing anything.

The idea that Androids lag after you start using them is an old fashioned notion that mostly went away with more recent versions of Android. It actually was a problem a couple years ago.

You probably won't ever see lag on your Moto X. My wife had the 2013 model for a year, and it was as fast after a year as it was new out of the box.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChadDaniel