Frustrated To Be A Microsoft Fan Right Now?

Brian McMahon

Oct 24, 2013
Visit site
Haven't seen any lag whatsoever on my Note 4 and it's been running like a dream since I got it 6 months ago. I'm still heavily invested with MS though and probably always will be. i7 Pro 3, Xbox one and 360 (GOW ltd edition still going strong along with a MW2 original ltd edition) W10 preview laptops and i7 desktop running everything else I need.

I still have a 1020 64gb yellow and a 930 and still use them but as with most people have found the ms apps are better on android or ios. My work iPhone 6+ carries everything I need from the ms stable on a daily basis. I really hope W10 is going to be good, although i'm using different os for my personal and work phones I would rather stick to MS.

They have the know how and the vision but only time will tell if they can pull it off. I used to buy Nokia's purely for the camera but when I bought a Panasonic dmc-cm1 I stopped using the 1020 and 930 when I wanted to limit how much I was carrying for photography. I can't see MS giving is another cult 41 mega pixel phone but I live in hope. Android development and features seem to be moving at light speed . I don't think there is anything MS can innovate with to beat a CM1. Hope I am proved wrong but time will tell but as you can see I still would love to see an imaging flagship running W10.

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
I haven't rebooted my phone for almost a month. I'll race any 1520 anywhere, anytime, doing anything.

The idea that Androids lag after you start using them is an old fashioned notion that mostly went away with more recent versions of Android. It actually was a problem a couple years ago.

You probably won't ever see lag on your Moto X. My wife had the 2013 model for a year, and it was as fast after a year as it was new out of the box.

Some lag. A friend got a Moto G and while it had a GB of RAM some OS bug meant it was terrible. I didn't believe him but he showed it not even able to play Pandora while browsing. A known issue on a mainstream device. Maybe they've fixed that by now, and maybe newer devices remain smoother, but unlike iOS, Android is not know for lag free operation.

Microsoft are far from perfect too though. WP8.1 was noticeably more laggy than 8.0 which to me was a disappointment.

Back on topic, I think Windows 10 is a great OS update and am excited about current times. Lots of nice features and phones coming.

colinkiama

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
Some lag. A friend got a Moto G and while it had a GB of RAM some OS bug meant it was terrible. I didn't believe him but he showed it not even able to play Pandora while browsing. A known issue on a mainstream device. Maybe they've fixed that by now, and maybe newer devices remain smoother, but unlike iOS, Android is not know for lag free operation.

Microsoft are far from perfect too though. WP8.1 was noticeably more laggy than 8.0 which to me was a disappointment.

Back on topic, I think Windows 10 is a great OS update and am excited about current times. Lots of nice features and phones coming.
if 8.1 is laggy for you. Do a hard reset and do not restore your data. Everything will be silky smooth after.

Wolfjt

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
I am frustrated too. Not necessarily with MS but with the mobile world as a whole. I just can't believe companies like MLB with their unlimited resources won't bring out an At Bat APP for 2015. Then you look at Pebble, Snapchat to name a few that won't support it and you have to say it's only a matter of time before the whole thing blows up. My next phone just might be an Android phone.

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
How long did it take? I've been using a Moto X for a little over a month, and no lag so far.

I'm testing Windows 10 on my 920.

Sent from my Moto X using Tapatalk

About 3 months or so. Its clunky, apps launch slower than before, boot times slowed and the worse part is apps take a long time to install and update. I am convinced that not everybody can build on top of android. So far, Sammy and HTC both have this issue. S4 and HTC One M8 are from personal experience. "Customize" the launcher and hold on to your britches because you really begin to notice the launcher/OS hand off when you get a good amount of apps loaded. My 1520 just glides and its almost full.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
About 3 months or so. Its clunky, apps launch slower than before, boot times slowed and the worse part is apps take a long time to install and update. I am convinced that not everybody can build on top of android. So far, Sammy and HTC both have this issue. S4 and HTC One M8 are from personal experience. "Customize" the launcher and hold on to your britches because you really begin to notice the launcher/OS hand off when you get a good amount of apps loaded. My 1520 just glides and its almost full.
I'll see what happens with my Moto X.

My Lumia 920 got an unfixable 'resuming' bug. Hopefully, Windows 10 will be better. I'm testing the fast builds.

ShinraCorp

Feb 13, 2014
Visit site
It's only frustrating when you see someone who's completely ignorant, disliking a device he never used before. Best point, phone salesmen. They're enough threads here to tell the tale that salesmen who sell phones for a living somehow have a bad mouth when it comes with Windows Phone devices. While I cannot blame the salesmen here in Canada since all we have is the 1020 for flagship and that's it. We do have the 635,640,830 and 530 I believe and that's about it, of course there's BLU at the Microsoft stores online but you'll never see them in an actual store (besides maybe a retail Microsoft Store).

stephen_az

Banned
Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
Speaking specifically to those who are "all in" with the Microsoft ecosystem, I was wondering if anyone out there is frustrated right now...no flagship Windows Phone, Windows 10 questions (like is tablet mode taking a backseat), the fact that apps DO matter to people who are hesitant to move to Windows Phone or tablets, the "tablet" experience on Windows still messy compared to other platforms...the fact that charms and swiping do make sense on Windows tablets (once used to it) but the fact they are being taken out..."Metro/Modern" on WP becoming less and less.

This isn't a hit piece at all as I am still hopeful, cautiously optimistic about Universal Apps and "one Windows"...I have a Core i7 Surface Pro 3, Lumia Icon, Dell Venue 8 Pro, XBOX One and 360, Dell Core i7 desktop as my home media and file server, Microsoft Band. Office 365, OneDrive, XBOX Music, XBOX Video...

I am all in...I just think Microsoft needs a GRAND SLAM with Windows 10 to please us hardcore fans and win people over...
Microsoft is a business not a sports team. I use their products and continue to do so because they suit my needs. I will never embrace some silly concept of being a fan of a tool. BTW, listing all the stuff you have is downright silly. All it does is convey some laughable idea that since you own a bunch of stuff (as an individual) you have more of a say. You are entitled to your opinion and can participate in the beta programs and you have the same influence as any other individual. As it stands all the stuff you own costs less than what many small business spend in a year and larger business spend in a month - genuinely large business will drop more than that in a week, I manage operations for a small, just past startup, consulting firm and I have certainly spent more in less than a year.

As for "all in" and "grand slams" and "hardcore fans" those are self ascribed values and nothing more. You will also find that, traditionally, those who are the real fans of something are the ones who will tolerate less than grand slams, or do you think Boston Red Sox and Chicago White Sox fans (for a century) and Chicago Cubs fans in perpetuity were/are considered lesser than others. Fan, BTW, is derived from fanatic which never requires objective satisfaction since fanaticism is tied to belief rather than reality. Long and short of it is you are either not all in or are not a hardcore fan if you demand grand slams. On my front, I identify with none of the above and do not demand grand slams at all. I expect products that meet my needs....

ajayden

Feb 26, 2012
Visit site
I'll see what happens with my Moto X.

My Lumia 920 got an unfixable 'resuming' bug. Hopefully, Windows 10 will be better. I'm testing the fast builds.

The resuming message is not a bug in the OS. It is a message displayed when the OS knows that the app will take time to load (based on the complexity of operation) on slower processors. You don't see it on L1520 or newer & faster processors.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
The resuming message is not a bug in the OS. It is a message displayed when the OS knows that the app will take time to load (based on the complexity of operation) on slower processors. You don't see it on L1520 or newer & faster processors.
I didn't have major issues with 'resuming' until early in March and hadn't added any additional apps. Hard reset didn't help.

NICK TOALE

Jul 17, 2014
Visit site
Why be frustrated about an OS that's not even in Beta? I think Microsoft has come a long way in the last few years especially bring the end users in to evaluate at an early stage. The 1520 is still an immensely powerful phone and I can still see me using mine by the end of this year even if a new flagship is released. The Windows ecosystem is in really good shape at the moment and I'm seeing more people on a daily basis using Windows Phone. Some of the budget tablets around at the moment are great value. I'm quite happy with the windows ecosystem it just works reliably and with what I see in 10 it's getting better. It takes time to develop and test for all the hardware and software combinations not like the fruity set who only have to develop to their own hardware.
Personally I'm quite enjoying playing with the 10 preview and when it's ready it will be an excellent system yes there is some bugs but they are getting fixed quickly. I think Microsoft is coming out with some very innovative products and software and Windows Phone is far superior to iOS and Android in my opinion. OSX on every update seems to break something.
My only complaint about Windows Phone is lack of Bluetooth Keyboard WP 8.1 but that will come soon, other than that have no plans to change especially after having a look at the new Galaxy edge 6 which froze up repeatedly whilst having a demo of it for a new IT project.

Vorkosigan

Jan 14, 2013
Visit site
I'm frustrated by my inability to see a Windows phone before I buy it. Now I know what BlackBerry fans in the States are going through.

No store anywhere near me had one. I asked Best Buy to order me one in so I could take a look at it. They can't even get one.

In the end I ordered directly from Rogers. Should arrive today or tomorrow.

I don't understand carriers. Wouldn't a variety be a nice thing to offer? My local Rogers is an apple store apparently. All they have on display are apple. Best buy has tons of phones. About 100 androids, several apple, 3 BlackBerry and zero windows.

Even in the Rogers website - there are 26 Apple phones and only 2 Windows phones. It's no wonder Windows doesn't have a presence in Canada.

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
I'm frustrated by my inability to see a Windows phone before I buy it. Now I know what BlackBerry fans in the States are going through.

No store anywhere near me had one. I asked Best Buy to order me one in so I could take a look at it. They can't even get one.

In the end I ordered directly from Rogers. Should arrive today or tomorrow.

I don't understand carriers. Wouldn't a variety be a nice thing to offer? My local Rogers is an apple store apparently. All they have on display are apple. Best buy has tons of phones. About 100 androids, several apple, 3 BlackBerry and zero windows.

Even in the Rogers website - there are 26 Apple phones and only 2 Windows phones. It's no wonder Windows doesn't have a presence in Canada.

It is the commission. Variety is good but what's the point filling shelves with devices that even if sell, won't make much money? Rather fill with variety of phones that will bring it big chunk.

ajayden

Feb 26, 2012
Visit site
Why be frustrated about an OS that's not even in Beta? I think Microsoft has come a long way in the last few years especially bring the end users in to evaluate at an early stage. The 1520 is still an immensely powerful phone and I can still see me using mine by the end of this year even if a new flagship is released. The Windows ecosystem is in really good shape at the moment and I'm seeing more people on a daily basis using Windows Phone. Some of the budget tablets around at the moment are great value. I'm quite happy with the windows ecosystem it just works reliably and with what I see in 10 it's getting better. It takes time to develop and test for all the hardware and software combinations not like the fruity set who only have to develop to their own hardware.

Personally I'm quite enjoying playing with the 10 preview and when it's ready it will be an excellent system yes there is some bugs but they are getting fixed quickly. I think Microsoft is coming out with some very innovative products and software and Windows Phone is far superior to iOS and Android in my opinion. OSX on every update seems to break something.

My only complaint about Windows Phone is lack of Bluetooth Keyboard WP 8.1 but that will come soon, other than that have no plans to change especially after having a look at the new Galaxy edge 6 which froze up repeatedly whilst having a demo of it for a new IT project.

If I am right, you can use Bluetooth keyboard on Wp8.1 GDR 2.

thatdennis

Dec 9, 2013
Visit site
Speaking specifically to those who are "all in" with the Microsoft ecosystem, I was wondering if anyone out there is frustrated right now...no flagship Windows Phone, Windows 10 questions (like is tablet mode taking a backseat), the fact that apps DO matter to people who are hesitant to move to Windows Phone or tablets, the "tablet" experience on Windows still messy compared to other platforms...the fact that charms and swiping do make sense on Windows tablets (once used to it) but the fact they are being taken out..."Metro/Modern" on WP becoming less and less.

This isn't a hit piece at all as I am still hopeful, cautiously optimistic about Universal Apps and "one Windows"...I have a Core i7 Surface Pro 3, Lumia Icon, Dell Venue 8 Pro, XBOX One and 360, Dell Core i7 desktop as my home media and file server, Microsoft Band. Office 365, OneDrive, XBOX Music, XBOX Video...

I am all in...I just think Microsoft needs a GRAND SLAM with Windows 10 to please us hardcore fans and win people over...

Microsoft's now betting everything on Windows 10. It's their saving grace right now. And for flagship phones, it will be released along with W10 for Phones which is around September if I'm not mistaken. So all of us here have to just wait. I know it's frustrating, but I'm also excited to see a new Microsoft.

However, if they disappoint with W10 for phones then I guess it's time to leave.

Newcron

Nov 29, 2014
Visit site
As a tech enthusiast, I have the opinion that going 'all in' (on anything) is a big mistake. Being a (big) fan of a certain brand is completely fine, but 'going all in' suggests you don't care what kind of other products are out there and what qualities they have, you simply don't care and just don't want them. Rather than 'going all in', I'd rather be a fan of 'good tech products', always looking out for new products, and enjoy the best no matter what brand.

Now that that's out of the way, five months ago I had been without a Windows-based device for about seven years except for my Windows 7 home desktop computer which I use for gaming. Now, I have a Windows Phone, two Windows 8.1 tablets, a Windows 8.1 Intel NUC, and Office 365 and Xbox Music subscriptions. I'm also thinking about getting a Microsoft Band, and it is very likely that before the end of the year I'll get myself some version of Surface. Not only that, I'm actually feeling excited about adding more Windows-based devices to my collection in the future, and can't wait to experience Windows 10.

My point is, from my point of view, this early 2015 is the best Microsoft has looked in many many years, and it's looking to get better. At least in my eyes, the products in general look solid, and the future is looking pretty bright. I think Nadella has done an extremely great job pushing Microsoft forward this past year. I don't think Windows 10 needs to be a 'grand slam'. Microsoft isn't going to suddenly take over everything with one product, and it doesn't need to. What it does need to do is to move forward consistently and put out solid products, and I think it's been doing that just fine.

Remember, this is coming from someone who before five months ago, for 5+ years, only had Android and iOS mobile devices (and still does use some of them daily right now). I think Microsoft land is looking pretty good right now, and it's a mistake to get frustrated. I won't be surprised if it's your 'all in' attitude that gets you frustrated. There will be no 'perfect' brand that has the best everything, so I can tell you right now that Microsoft won't be that, but neither will the others.

etad putta

Oct 1, 2013
Visit site
If they don't support the 1520, what will they support? Anyhoo, I just rolled mine back to Denim over the weekend. It was nice to get a peek into what's coming but I'll wait until the actual release. Using the Windows Recovery Tool was a breeze and the longest part was actually downloading the 1.62GB firmware. We have these options available to us yet people still complain, go figure.
They seem to have no problem supporting Apple and Android products just fine, maybe better than ours. But that's old news...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb