Galaxy S4 Camera Dominates the competition.

pipe7

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Looks like a fairly unbiased review here:
Samsung Galaxy S4: Where the smartphone excels, what needs work - News - MSN CA

"the S4’s camera does prove that megapixels are not the only factor to be considered when it comes to taking high-quality photos. When compared against the two phones with the best cameras on the market — the iPhone 5 and the Lumia 920, both of which have only eight megapixels – the S4 still isn’t quite as good. Its photos are not quite as sharp or detailed as those snapped by its rivals."

IMO Samsung is too hung up with trying to wow people with hard specs more than how the phone actually functions. I'm not a Samsung hater, my next phone may be an ATIV S (but mostly because I can't get a high end Lumia from the decent carriers where I live).

Slai

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
Weird seeing such a spread in tests. Generally it seems to best out the iphone5, in most areas. Some colours could be better represented on the ip5, but generally tests show that the camera surpasses the ip5.

Again; weird.

christenmartin

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
What really drags for me are these android "plants" who pop into a pro Windows Phone forum and proselytize a device they don't own. Not to mention, a device that runs on an OS that competes with this one. They never owned the GS4 or maybe even the GS3. Just looked at a few pictures, watched a youtube and are now the consummate expert on the device.

Even worse, they talk as if we should give a flip. We know its there. If we want it, we know how to find it. Thanks anyway.
The best one i heard is the IIPhone 5
and how it was going to have virtual key board that displayed when you went to landscape mode. It was on YouTube and everything!

hary536

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site
I disagree. The s4 camera clearly is in the win here.
With retards to lags, every review says its smooth, but cant really say anything until i get a copy to test.

But as pertains to camera, it clearly outperforms the iphone5 and 920.
So you can say camera outperforms without personal testing, but for lagging, you want to test yourself and not trust reviews?

Slai

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
Of course.

Even with personal use I probably couldn't determine the better camera, since Im not that knowledgeable about photography. It would be like someone with no real knowledge of MMA being a judge.

However, mainly the difference is that while camera quality will be more or less static, lag can be nonexistent in the first weeks, then grow to be a huge pain in the *** after some use. Its far more likely to change on use.

That's mainly the difference there.

falconrap

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Under perfect lighting conditions, the S4's higher pixel count does allow for more detail, but that's on a tripod. Without OIS, you will introduce more noise into any picture. Further, the night shots, on the S4 are horrible. Just pull up the raw picture and it's noise galore. But the real icing on the cake is the fact that these guys just pressed the camera button and didn't do anything else; i.e. they used Auto. The software on the Lumia WP8 devices isn't the best in terms of picture noise/sharpening balance. The next update is supposed to improve this if I recall properly. When it comes to real life use, the 920 is going to produce, generally, better pictures than the S4. Some more tweaking on the algorithms should make it even better. Nevertheless, does this thread's title really jive even after reading that article? I don't think so. Take the S4 off the tripod and take regular hand-held shots, especially in moderate to low light situations and see what happens.

vlad0

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site

the s4 is fine when the sun is out, and even then, the fine detail looks like an oil painting:

BxQ7WoN.jpg

now compare that to the 808

bq5PVlX.jpg

Original: http://www.esato.com/phonephotos/cam/nokia/808_pureview/2012081318304JKafV.jpg

Now take a look at the fine detail (hair) in the portrait setting:

emw4Up8.jpg

lFgp4Vw.jpg

Original: http://s1.ipicture.ru/uploads/20130426/O78dSpSF.jpg

Like I've said many times before... no matter what they do, they can't escape those small 1.1 micron pixels. Samsung have done a good job to mask it as well as they could.. but if you really look at the pics, they are very far from the benchmark. Also.. not to mention that after the sun goes down the difference will be even greater.. add to that xenon and lossless zooming.. no contest.

Or in other words, its far from dominating in the camera department..

Jaripi

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
I think that it is very clear that 808 is still unbeatable ...

I would really like to know what was firmware of Lumia 920, some they used in that "Connect" review ... and by the way, I believe that there will be a lot of blurry low light photos by S4 in a real, when used by ordinary guys (a big sensor and no OIS does not make sense for low light, even they would use good software to improve those photos)

Slai

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
I agree, the 808 isn't even in the running. Its so far ahead atm.

Seems like the S4 has the night mode, but basically it just cranks up the iso iirc, so with a bit shaky hands (ie. nir.al nonrobot hands) its... going to be a tricky shot.

I get my s4 tomorrow, so if you want me to do some unbiased comparisons please let me know what you want tested and how :)

vlad0

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
The capabilities shown by the 808 bond very well for the Lumia camera centric phone.. if they are using the exact same sensor/optics/jpeg algorithms combination, or better... it will be really interesting to watch what the android OEMs are going to do.

They got lucky with the 808 and Nokia's position at the time, which gave them more "breathing room" ... almost a year now... but once the WP version gets out.. Nokia will push it much, much harder than the 808. The 808 had almost no marketing, little to none carrier subsidizing... the OS was declared "dead" before it even went on sale..

Slai

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
After using my S4 for a but on and off today Ive noted a few things.

- The ui is far smoother when turning off animations in Developer Mode. Before doing this it kind of hung on pressing Home.
- The screen is ridiculously good.
- Air View in the video player is amazingly nice, but for instance Air Gestures aren't generally that useful. Scrolling using your eyes works well, though Im not sure Ill use it much. Might be a habitual change needed for it to work.
- View cover is amazing. Needs to be used a bit before it fits as snugly as one would like, as the hinge part is a tad too rigid at first.
- The phone has a very nice premium feel to it, the balance is amazing when holding the phone.
- The UI is very smooth

Ive only used it in total about two hours or so during the day (due to work), but if anyone has any questions or comparisons they'd want made with regards to the 920, Id be happy to check it out for you :)

Jaripi

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
Last edited:

Slai

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
Doing some low light shots with my own s4, it's nowhere near as dark as those tests suggest. Surely they know what they're talking about, but it almost seems like Auto instead of night mode.

Slai

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
Oh I haven't even given it another thought so far =)

What specifically do you want me to test? Never done a camera comparison so not sure what to test and how =(

HaibaneReki

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
I was under impression You were eager to prove Your points :)

1, daylight - panorama
2, daylight - portrait/macro
3, sunset/evening
4, night time - auto+night mode
5, night time - with flash
6, ultimate results - install some photo app and try to take the best shot possible in all scenarios ;)

I suggest taking 5 photos for each scenario and using the best result only

maybe I'm missing something but whatever.. Sounds like lots of work :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs