Games are almost dead for 512 mb ram phones

salmanahmad

Banned
May 12, 2014
Visit site
OpenGL is not a better standard. It's just a different standard. Thanks to cross platform gaming frameworks like Unity, that also isn't really the problem. At least the fact that not all games are available on 512MB devices is mainly down to differences in memory management which OpenGL doesn't address.

Finally, jumping on OpenGL would kill MS' ability to ever exploit synergies between Xbox game development and WP, which I've been waiting a long time for them to finally kick into motion. I don't know, maybe they will never get around to that, but going to OpenGL would at least make that much more problematic. In summary, I don't think such a move would make anything better.

EDIT:
Anyway, I view this issue differently. Laggy software is most often a software problem, and rarely a hardware problem. The software may have been poorly ported from iOS or Android, maybe it just generally doesn't scale well across different hardware platforms, maybe it was only ever tested on high-end devices, or possibly it was just developed by rookie developers. Powerful hardware is just a means of covering that up. If lag is truly and justifiably hardware related, it's more likely to be a GPU issue, not a RAM issue.

I apologize. I am not a developer as yet so I could easily be wrong.

When I said "better standard" I didn't mean a more powerful standard, but I meant that I've seen that most app developers prefer using OpenGL which is why games on Android and iOS can have very textures ranging from a pixelated mess to beautiful AA'd edges.

It is certainly possible to run a lot of games on Windows Phones with as less as 512 MB RAM. I've played modded versions of Subway Surfers, Temple Run 2 and Spiderman on my Lumia 520 before the apps we're optimized for 512 MB RAM. And I can tell you, they we're amazing.

It is certainly possible to make games just as good on Windows Phone as Android/iOS but, alas, developers really ignore the operating system.

RAM and GPU aren't the issue, Adreno 305 is a decently powerful GPU that runs most games smoothly on Android, and 512 MB RAM is also adequate the iPhone 4S can play pretty much all games smoothly.

Optimization for Windows Phone is the main problem. I hope it gets better.

anon8855939

May 15, 2014
Visit site
Neither You are our teacher to say so nor you are CEO of Microsoft.
or lets say neither anyone here is a teacher nor CEO of MS.

Moving to second part.
I also own L620 & what I said is my experience with WP.
I do install games but games performance .......man that sucks.

Just take an example Hungry shark evolution. How much time this game take to start up.(This games Load three times before playing)

512MB RAM devices only good for games like 2048 & I learn this a long time ago.

But I like your comment
Why MS not make 1GB RAM budget devices ?
IF Moto can make it then why not MS.

I think MS trying to show that their OS can run smoothly on 512MB RAM devices but they forget about apps & games.(Even MS official apps perform bad on 512MB RAM devices)

No I don't think so Microsoft is showing off 512mb ram support.

I apologize. I am not a developer as yet so I could easily be wrong.

When I said "better standard" I didn't mean a more powerful standard, but I meant that I've seen that most app developers prefer using OpenGL which is why games on Android and iOS can have very textures ranging from a pixelated mess to beautiful AA'd edges.

It is certainly possible to run a lot of games on Windows Phones with as less as 512 MB RAM. I've played modded versions of Subway Surfers, Temple Run 2 and Spiderman on my Lumia 520 before the apps we're optimized for 512 MB RAM. And I can tell you, they we're amazing.

It is certainly possible to make games just as good on Windows Phone as Android/iOS but, alas, developers really ignore the operating system.

RAM and GPU aren't the issue, Adreno 305 is a decently powerful GPU that runs most games smoothly on Android, and 512 MB RAM is also adequate the iPhone 4S can play pretty much all games smoothly.

I heard android L is squeezing out more performance s compared to previous version.
May Microsoft Windows phone 9 also do the same

Last edited by a moderator:

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
I guess I should rephrase my sentence, when I meant 3D games I mean games that are First Person based or an epic RPG, you know, games of a "grand scale" those types won't run very well on 512.

I agree that would at least be difficult, but my point (which in retrospect was poorly made) is that RAM capacities around 512MB, by itself, still isn't what makes that impossible.

The ability to render a subset of data that is far too large to fit into main memory as a whole, is a capability that games have required for years. Skyrim does it, Oblivion did it almost a decade ago (dynamically loading new parts of the scenery into memory as you go), and flight simulators have been doing it for even longer than that (you might be aware of geometry clipmaps, but you should take a look if you aren't).

I have no idea if these techniques have already found there way into mobile games, or if some hardware limitation is preventing that, but either way it's not RAM capacity by itself that is making this impossible. In fact, the unity engine already provides a solution to that problem, although I don't know if that also runs on mobile devices.

There will always be instances where what we'd like to render is so vast (like the grand scale type of games you mentioned) that it won't fit into memory, even with 8GB of RAM. So if that's the problem we have, it would be better to find a way to solve the problem, rather than just throw more RAM at it, and wait for everyone to bump up against the new limit.

That was my point. 512 MB of RAM, by itself, isn't preventing you from making a game, even a vast RPG type of game, look good.

Last edited:

salmanahmad

Banned
May 12, 2014
Visit site
No I don't think so Microsoft is showing off 512mb ram support.

I heard android L is squeezing out more performance s compared to previous version.
May Microsoft Windows phone 9 also do the same

Android L is no faster than KitKat with the ART runtime.

The new gaming improvments made to Android are purely hardware based, using the new Tegra K1 SOC.

I wonder if Microsoft could allow OpenGL and DirectX side by side, giving developers the ability to use either. It would definitely improve the quality of games and give lazy developers an incentive to finally develop for Windows Phone.

Some games for Windows Phone are more well optimized than Android counterparts. One such example would be Geometry Dash(amazing game).

anon8855939

May 15, 2014
Visit site
Android L is no faster than KitKat with the ART runtime.

The new gaming improvments made to Android are purely hardware based, using the new Tegra K1 SOC.

I wonder if Microsoft could allow OpenGL and DirectX side by side, giving developers the ability to use either. It would definitely improve the quality of games and give lazy developers an incentive to finally develop for Windows Phone.

Some games for Windows Phone are more well optimized than Android counterparts. One such example would be Geometry Dash(amazing game).

As says by as5ent it dues not matters it's open GL or DirectX.
Read all the comments then post a reply or just leave it

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site

I think this is where you are mistaken. Android and iOS both require developers to use OpenGL. Neither supports DirectX. Because iOS and Android together make up 95% of the mobile market, 95% of developers creating mobile apps will necessarily be using OpenGL. That has absolutely nothing to do with preference. I could just as well claim that 100% of Xbox developers prefer DirectX over OpenGL. Here too, it has nothing to do with preference, it's just the right API set for 3D graphics work on each of those OSes.

In its early days DirectX sucked (IMHO), but for most of the last decade DirectX and OpenGL have both been perfectly fine. IMHO any graphics developer worth their salt will be happy with either one.

And again, the use of OpenGL has absolutely nothing to do with texture quality. It provides absolutely zero advantage over DirectX in that regard. The opposite is also true. You can get the exact same quality, good or bad, with either. The problem is an entirely different one, which I've tried to explain in a previous post, but I admit it's not the easiest thing to understand.

Yeah, probably, but not always. It will depend on each individual game and by whom it was developed/ported and how. It's also interesting that not everyone agrees on which games are laggy (whatever that means since it's anything but a precise description) and which aren't. I wonder if some people's devices are more prone to overheating and thus causes the SoC to throttle earlier, so as to prevent damage. IDK.

Whatever the reason is, considering the regular release of new games for 512 MB WP devices, I disagree with the thread title claiming that the entertainment genre on 512 MB devices is "dead".

Last edited:

prasath1234

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
I don't understand why people play games on phones rather than on play station or for that matter Xbox.if your into games get an iPad mini I saw the price is done 20000 price is cheap compared to iPhone or nexus 7.phone is for apps not games.
From Windows phone

anon8855939

May 15, 2014
Visit site
I don't understand why people play games on phones rather than on play station or for that matter Xbox.if your into games get an iPad mini I saw the price is done 20000 price is cheap compared to iPhone or nexus 7.phone is for apps not games.
From Windows phone

Invalid question.
But still in answer, you can't play games on consoles and PC while on move.
Also AAA games are time consuming which gaming nerds like us can play but most of the people can't. They just play during break,metro etc or I should say there gameplay period is 10-15 or maximum 30-45 but not 2-3 hours.

stevemind

Jul 25, 2013
Visit site
Anyone wants seriously good games should buy a pc or a console! Its not rocket science is it? It a PHONE not a console. I play some time-wasting stuff and they play well on 630. I think the public are expecting too much , its like saying how come xbox games dont play on me phone.....duh!

prasath1234

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
Gaming on mobile will heat your mobile nd cause lot of battery drain.casual games are ok.not action or HD games.
From Windows phone

anon8855939

May 15, 2014
Visit site
Anyone wants seriously good games should buy a pc or a console! Its not rocket science is it? It a PHONE not a console. I play some time-wasting stuff and they play well on 630. I think the public are expecting too much , its like saying how come xbox games dont play on me phone.....duh!

No one here is asking GTA V, watch dogs or halo 4. We want some decent games or games which runs flawlessly

I hope age of empires : Castle siege which is releasing this week is well optimised for 512mb ram.

dKp1977

Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
The worst is that free games offer ads. And all ads SDK are draining CPU & RAM!!!

Yes! How dare developers demand money for the time they spend on developing apps and games? It's not our fault, if their families are starving to death, right? Please, use some common sense here. Devs have two choices:

1) make the game paid -> people will complain about it, because they can't afford to spend 3 bucks to install an app or game on their couple-hundred-dollar devices.
2) make the game free using
a) ads -> people complain about data/battery usage
b) in-app-purchases -> people complain about not being able to compete without spending
money?

Btw, the battery draining issue you're describing is nonsense. Those ads don't drain your battery much. It's the game that does. And if you're concerned about the data usage, which is in fact very low, just turn of your internet connection.

And concerning the complaints about the availability of games or their performance in regards of 512 MB devices. What the hell do you guys expect? Do you expect to play Destiny or Titanfall on a $200 notebook? The fact aside that there are many great games available for low budget devices, that are really running well, you just can't expect to have the very same plethora of apps available or experience the same smoothness like those of us who save their money in order to purchase a high end or at least mid range device. Next time invest some time in better research before buying into something you're absolutely not gonna be satisfied with.

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chuffster