Gave it an honest try

brew1985

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Well, I bought an HTC Surround, and don't get me wrong, I really really liked the phone, the unique features, and the Metro UI...what I did not like was after 11 days the phone (after a soft reset) wiped everything (like I had done a factory reset). I had read that people were having similar issues after installing an sd card, which I had not done. According to other peoples' experiences a soft reset restored the memory and personal data. I tried that....i left it off for about 5 minutes and NOTHING, I took the battery out for 5 minutes, and nothing.
If the OS is THAT unstable (I had maybe 10 apps and 7 games) I'm not willing to stick it out and possibly end up with a junk phone. So I went to the original phone I wanted to upgrade to in August, the Samsung Captivate. Now I'm a happy Android user, although I'm really disappointed because WP7 is AWESOME! Maybe next upgrade I'll give it another shot but I really love this Captivate (I originally came from a Bold 9700)

I guess I'm just giving WP7 props and knocks where due but I hope everyone else has a great experience with it!

VernonEL

Nov 27, 2010
Visit site
There is no disputing or denying that WP7 v1.0 needs work.
However, I have gathered from people's responses about the OS and the devices that it has not been consistently great or horrible. People seem to have isolated issues and this one bad experience could easily turn them off from WP7. I'm glad that you are satisfied with the Captivate, but it is very possible that the specific device itself you had could have been corrupt and that the next one on the shelf would be flawless.
Obviously I am a proponent of WP7, but maybe what I have said can be useful to those who have have bad experiences so far.

brew1985

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
I'm in total agreement with you. It may have been an isolated incident...then again it may not have been. The fact that I already knew a possible solution to the situation due to others' similar experiences told me it's at least bigger than just me. I bragged about my winphone and still brag about the features i miss from it

Rich Edmonds

PC Editor
Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
Sorry to hear you had a bad experience. It does sound like a potential isolated incident. I have got a huge list of likes for WP7, but my list of hates (or sheer begging for fixes) is also considerably long. All likes and dislikes aside, Windows Phone 7 is a great stand for a 1.0 release. I think you made a wise decision, at the end of the day you need a phone that works. I look forward to seeing you potentially re-join our ranks in the future :)

anthonok

Oct 31, 2010
Visit site
The Captivate is a great phone... unless you want to use it as a GPS i had one and returned it for the exact reason that it DID NOT WORK.

jalb

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
My HTC Hero (Android) did that once. I don't think I would call it a WP problem, if it is not being widely reported, so much as an isolated incident.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leliawindler