General discussion about the Store app

Ma Rio

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
I joined you guys "recently". I bought my Lumia 1520 around May 2014.
It's not a long time (compared to the 5 years of WP existance), but it still alows a person to get into the waters of an operating system pretty well.

And since those days, since the days of Windows Phone 8.0, there was one thing that I really haven't liked.
You guessed it - it's the Store.

Back in WP8, I was "new" to the OS, so I was amazed by everything it offered. Because of that I haven't really paid too much attention to the store, I was always busy exploring.
But after some time I did start to wonder, why is it so bare-bones?
It really looks like (atleast to me) that they've put up the Store app 5-10 minutes before launch.

Then came WP 8.1, and along with it, a new Store app.
It was better. I kinda liked it. New features, new-ish design. It wasn't bad. But it still missed something.
It missed the "you're-wellcome-here feel".
It's the feel you have while browsing Facebook and YouTube for example (both on the web, or in the apps).
You keep looking and exploring, and everything seems smooth, nice, and eye-appealing.
On the other hand, the Store app looked like something you should use just to get the job done, and then leave.
Kinda like the CMD in Windows. Dark, bare-bones, mostly text, and of course really outdated.

I'm not here to argue, especially not about competing OSes, but look at the Android's Google Play and iOS'es App Store.
play-store-apps-home.png
play-store-apps-AC.png
play-store-apps-categories.png
play-store-drawer-movies.png

Everything looks like it wants you to stay. Nice big icons, warm colors, self-explaining menus. It's a plesent experience.
I'm not saying MS should copy Android or iOS or even some other OS. I'm saying MS should learn from them, and their mistakes.

At the end, I'm just hoping MS realises this is an issue (not a huge one, but an issue nevertheless), and makes progress in W10.
It's quite possible we'll see a new store in a future build (like we've seen the new store in the desktop version).

What is your oppinion on this subject?

svaethier

Dec 11, 2014
Visit site
The win10 tech preview for pc has a new App Store in beta so I expect we'll see the same one come to the phones tech preview in a future build

Ma Rio

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
I've checked that app, it's not bad. Even the current Windows 8.1 store app isn't bad.
But the ones on WP just aren't enough.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon