Got an answer today at the Verizon store on why they don't like to sell Windows phones...

ectobs

Jul 30, 2013
Visit site
Personally I think it's a hard sell because it does look different.

My anecdotal evidence. It took a lot of convincing to get my technophob wife to get a windows phone because it was so different. Even though ironically she hates Android because it's "too computer like".

After a month with her l925 she confided in me that she loves her windows phone because it's so easy and will probably never get another android again.

I have friends who have upgraded 3 versions of iPhones now but keeps asking me how to navigate and do stuff in their phones. They admit that it's a challenge. I show them how it's done on my Windows Phone and they said, "That looks faster". They said they're getting iPhones because it is popular. Sad :(

Last edited:

jphillips1963

Jan 8, 2014
Visit site
Wow, he actually admitted it's their fault. They just don't know what users to sell them to. My mom a perfect example of a customer that would be and is a viable WP user.

I really hope W10 blows all these issues away.

That was also said with the current OS also and it came up short. I was hoping to jump ship to a windows phone but it was just lacking in my opinion. To wp users who are use to it I can maybe see staying with. But at the time being an android user for many years it just wasn't up to par with what I needed in a phone. So I jumped ship to the iPhone 6 and am quiet happy with the choice. Great quality apps decent battery could be better. Solid OS since they updated to 8.1 and overall a solid platform. Windows needs do something different they have to get creative get more developers on board and get more manufacturers building phones.

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk Pro

GabrielStorm

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
Isn't the HTC M8 windows version an ATT exclusive?
not that I recall. VZ had it first. as was previously commented on.
here's the thing. at&t will get a phone that is exclusive to them -the iPhone is an example.
it will be exclusive to them for a period of time -6 months maybe a year. after that time, any
of the other carriers may get the phone -again, the iPhone as an example.

back on topic. I have used three OSes. and still do. WP, iOS and Android.
all have pluses. all also have minuses. they are all equally complex. and are equally easy.
it all depends on how the user perceives it to be. it's just a matter of learning what can and
can't be done. I prefer WP. I find it easy to use. that's me.
others may find it complicated. that's them.

my opinion, like one stated earlier, would be to have some sort of tutorial on how to use WP.
be it by in-store sales, built in to the OS or posted on line.

when I get my phones, I research the OS. I then have an idea as to what I want.
I go in to the store knowing what i'm looking for.
when I got my 1520, the sales associate -who also uses WP- gave me exactly what I needed.

in the end, a little knowledge going in to it would alleviate a whole lot of returned WP devices.

Last edited:

Jas00555

Retired Ambassador
Jun 8, 2013
Visit site

Yep, I missed one.

Doesn't change anything though, does it? Did me missing that single app when I counted them, making it suddenly appear on the app store? Did it cure the app gap? Or is the fact that half of my list is from Google mean that the app gap doesn't matter? Would you like me to add to that list further?

Official Harvest app--no way I am giving my work credentials to some random app developer and the reviews on the ms store show it doesn't work anyway. Going to the site on mobile IE is painful.
Official Dropbox app--the knockoff pales in comparison
Swiftkey
WolframAlpha

Just a few more that I once used regularly. Now that my list is no longer half from Google, is it suddenly more valid? Or is the fact that there a lot of apps missing from the ms store reason enough?

Lol what snark. I'm sure you felt so vindicated !! You won the internet for the day. Hmm... let's see
Harvest- I have no idea what this app even is. Never heard of it. Do you mean Harvest time tracker? That app has the same review on both stores. Reading the reviews apparently it doesn't work at first, but then works later. No idea, but either way, it's a niche app at best. The Android store has apparently broken login in too.
Dropbox - confirmed as coming, and Rudy Huyn has an amazing client
"oh, but I'm not trusting him with my info"
I guess you have higher standards than Microsoft
Swiftkey- fine
Wolfram Alpha - another niche app

But that's irrelevant

"THEY'RE NOT NICHE FOR ME"

Which is why I'm trying to get across that...

For example, it is a fact that there is a considerable app gapp.

No, this isn't a fact. No matter how you try to spin it, this is not a fact. It is an opinion that you have based on your own personal needs. IT IS NOT A FACT. A fact is "a thing that is indisputable in all cases". Does my grandma, who only uses Facebook, have an app gap? Does my mom that just uses Facebook, email, and twitter? Does my 7 year old cousin? No, they don't, so it is a not a fact. You're going around preaching in various threads in a flamebaity way to try to get your point across. Hell, I'm not even sure you actually have a Windows Phone. It reminds me of the people from Crackberry who use to come over to WC to defend Blackberry to the death, except in this case it looks like it came from Android Central.

You think google's web services aren't better?
Prove to me otherwise. Ready and...go.

Like this, you know perfectly well that "better" is an opinion based on individual preferences (or do you ? Most of your responses tend to suggest not.). You're just trying to start an argument.

Come on, you can do it. Provide us something past your typical Nokia ****** tirade against HTC.

For once (and he better enjoy this), I'll have to side with Micah and say that he is, in fact, not being the typical ****** in this scenario.

Oh, but don't worry, all you have to do is leave a condescending remark about how I'm defending the platform and how I'm this or that, then you've won the argument. You totally shut down my trolling.

Adrynalyne

Aug 30, 2014
Visit site
Lol what snark. I'm sure you felt so vindicated !! You won the internet for the day. Hmm... let's see
Harvest- I have no idea what this app even is. Never heard of it. Do you mean Harvest time tracker? That app has the same review on both stores. Reading the reviews apparently it doesn't work at first, but then works later. No idea, but either way, it's a niche app at best. The Android store has apparently broken login in too.
Dropbox - confirmed as coming, and Rudy Huyn has an amazing client
"oh, but I'm not trusting him with my info"
I guess you have higher standards than Microsoft
Swiftkey- fine
Wolfram Alpha - another niche app

But that's irrelevant

"THEY'RE NOT NICHE FOR ME"

Which is why I'm trying to get across that...

No, this isn't a fact. No matter how you try to spin it, this is not a fact. It is an opinion that you have based on your own personal needs. IT IS NOT A FACT. A fact is "a thing that is indisputable in all cases". Does my grandma, who only uses Facebook, have an app gap? Does my mom that just uses Facebook, email, and twitter? Does my 7 year old cousin? No, they don't, so it is a not a fact. You're going around preaching in various threads in a flamebaity way to try to get your point across. Hell, I'm not even sure you actually have a Windows Phone. It reminds me of the people from Crackberry who use to come over to WC to defend Blackberry to the death, except in this case it looks like it came from Android Central.

Like this, you know perfectly well that "better" is an opinion based on individual preferences (or do you ? Most of your responses tend to suggest not.). You're just trying to start an argument.

For once (and he better enjoy this), I'll have to side with Micah and say that he is, in fact, not being the typical ****** in this scenario.

Oh, but don't worry, all you have to do is leave a condescending remark about how I'm defending the platform and how I'm this or that, then you've won the argument. You totally shut down my trolling.

The fact that you haven't heard of some of those apps is irrelevant. Do you work in IT? Its a pretty relevant field, and I have had 2 jobs so far use Harvest for time tracking, so I can get paid. If that is niche software for you, so be it. Apps that "are coming" do not count as available. As for you debating my app gapp fact, feast your eyes.

MS
300,000 --2014
Windows Phone Store hits more than 300,000 apps - CNET

Google
1 million --2013
Android's Google Play beats App Store with over 1 million apps, now officially largest

Apple
1.2 million, 2014
iTunes App Store Now Has 1.2 Million Apps, Has Seen 75 Billion Downloads To Date | TechCrunch

If you can show me how that is not a considerable app gapp, I will drop my argument altogether. Just because you do not find apps relevant doesn't mean others do not. Think past your own little world. Your entire argument so far has hinged on, "well I haven't heard of it or used it, therefore there is no considerable app gapp". That, my fine friend, is a load of dog poo.

As for agreeing with Micah, grats? I'll extend the same challenge to you. How are they not better? I'd really like to see an answer to this, civilly of course.

Last edited:

troylytle

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
The fact that you haven't heard of some of those apps is irrelevant. Do you work in IT? Its a pretty relevant field, and I have had 2 jobs so far use Harvest for time tracking, so I can get paid. If that is niche software for you, so be it. Apps that "are coming" do not count as available. As for you debating my app gapp fact, feast your eyes.

MS
300,000 --2014
Windows Phone Store hits more than 300,000 apps - CNET

Google
1 million --2013
Android's Google Play beats App Store with over 1 million apps, now officially largest

Apple
1.2 million, 2014
iTunes App Store Now Has 1.2 Million Apps, Has Seen 75 Billion Downloads To Date | TechCrunch

If you can show me how that is not a considerable app gapp, I will drop my argument altogether. Just because you do not find apps relevant doesn't mean others do not. Think past your own little world. Your entire argument so far has hinged on, "well I haven't heard of it or used it, therefore there is no considerable app gapp". That, my fine friend, is a load of dog poo.

As for agreeing with Micah, grats? I'll extend the same challenge to you. How are they not better? I'd really like to see an answer to this, civilly of course.

Just thought I would pop back in and share this link in case you haven't checked it out. Check out "TimeTrax - Harvest" for Windows Phone http://www.windowsphone.com/s?appid=af1b1607-386c-e011-81d2-78e7d1fa76f8
Also a lot of those apps on those app stores are the same thing even some by the same developer.

Adrynalyne

Aug 30, 2014
Visit site
Just thought I would pop back in and share this link in case you haven't checked it out. Check out "TimeTrax - Harvest" for Windows Phone TimeTrax - Harvest | Windows Phone Apps+Games Store (United States)

Also a lot of those apps on those app stores are the same thing even some by the same developer.

Thanks, but I don't trust sending my work supplied credentials over a third party app for this stuff. I can deal with it; It was my choice to go to Windows Phone. In fact I only brought it up because some people here are in denial of there being an app gapp and someone asked for a list.

jonnaver

Banned
Aug 15, 2014
Visit site
Thanks, but I don't trust sending my work supplied credentials over a third party app for this stuff. I can deal with it; It was my choice to go to Windows Phone. In fact I only brought it up because some people here are in denial of there being an app gapp and someone asked for a list.
The app gap is undeniable, I don't understand why the WP and BB crowd continue to claim otherwise, but they do. One recurring statement I frequently see to excuse this is the claim that there's alternates that are just as good. This simply isn't true. Many of the alternates are made by the same couple of independent developers. I don't know about you, but banking your entire app ecosystem on a couple of indie devs who may or not always be around isn't a good idea.

That's not to mention the multitude of specialized apps for various services and goods that aren't hitting WP

DeerSteak

Nov 7, 2014
Visit site
Yeah, I guess, but I would argue that the size of the possible download population is more important (and that's sort of-kind of a function of how many apps there are, because other people need their apps, too). I don't have a big app requirement. Typical Facebook/Twitter social media, something fun to play...as long as the built in mail/calendar/contacts are reasonable, I'm pretty much set. 300k or 3M, I don't really care.

jonnaver

Banned
Aug 15, 2014
Visit site
The number of apps is, frankly, unimportant. The availability of the specific apps I want is what's important.

Which correlates to number of apps, unless someone gets lucky.

The more apps = the more likely your app is available.
Yes, that was my point.

Yeah, I guess, but I would argue that the size of the possible download population is more important (and that's sort of-kind of a function of how many apps there are, because other people need their apps, too). I don't have a big app requirement. Typical Facebook/Twitter social media, something fun to play...as long as the built in mail/calendar/contacts are reasonable, I'm pretty much set. 300k or 3M, I don't really care.

I still refer to the above as my point of debate. You see I'm also like you and only maintain a small number of apps. However there's about half a dozen of those that are the only available on iOS and android:
My bank, my VPN subscription, my preferred multi device password vault, a better music player, the official Houzz app, and lastly game selection. For every person like me there's millions more, each with a similar list except theirs are entirely different. App stores as big as Apple and Google cater to all of them.

heickelrrx

May 12, 2014
Visit site
Some apps work fine. I'm pretty satisfied with Facebook Twitter WhatsApp but expect more for LINE path ect.

I'm kind of disappointed by my phone when look at higher one. Still their price were cut while mine still at released price so hang with it.

PPL outside US buy phone without contract and like or not they still need to stick with it. Maybe MS push lower end WP outside US in order to increase market share. While common apps available in WP that would be the best advantages against low end Android phone in term of performance

prasath1234

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
Wp is for feature phone users not for android or iPhone users.That is because only feature phone owners don't crave for apps that do something for them.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
quicktravo