Groove App constantly access network and degrades battery life dramatically

johncaustin

Nov 17, 2016
Visit site
Microsoft Groove 10.1112.0922 on iPhone 7 Plus 256GB iOS 10.1.1 (14B100)

Anytime Groove is open, the battery is drained dramatically and rapidly. It will drain from 100% to 0% within 2-3 hours. I am only listening to music that is available offline, and I am not downloading or streaming anything, but with the app open, the network activity icon spins continuously. This happens whether music is actively playing or not. If I disable wi-fi and disable the Groove option for "Use cellular data," the spinning stops and battery use is normal. This happens whether music is actively playing or not.

If I look at battery usage on the iPhone for the past 24 hours, Groove is 60%. The second place app is 12%.

If I'm not downloading and I'm not streaming, what in the world is Groove doing that's causing network activity?

Last edited:

johncaustin

Nov 17, 2016
Visit site
I'll also note that, while Groove is in this "constantly downloading" state, I can't actually download anything if I want to. It will just sit on "Downloaded 0 of 10" (or whatever the number is) and never actually download anything, while the little wheel spins and spins.

BTW, I posted this here because Groove support told me this is what I needed to do.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99