[Guide] Elite X3 - disable Camera sounds and enable LED notifications

Status
Not open for further replies.

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
This guide shows how to enable two features lacking on the Elite X3 that I find useful.
You will be able to have the option to disable Camera sounds and enable LED notifications.

This was performed using a freshly flashed (WDRT reset) US Elite X3 with the latest firmware (0002.0000.0037.0001)

--Install interop tools and push the Nokia Device Tool kit packages to your phone--
1. Enable developer mode on your Elite X3 -- Settings->Update & security->For developers tap the radio button Developer mode.
2. Install interop tools and its ARM dependencies to your phone. Follow this XDA link to download one of the release candidate versions which seems to be the friendliest version imo, then copy the files to your phone's Downloads directory. Tap each file to install it locally to your phone. - https://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=71000190&postcount=607 (version InteropTools_1.9.437.0_arm_RC3)
3. Download and then install the Windows developer kit iutool package to your PC here - https://download.microsoft.com/down...5524A95/wdk/Installers/WP_CPTT_NT-x86-fre.msi
4. Download the attached NDTK_package_files zip file and extract them to a directory of your choice on your PC (ex. C:\Users\<YourUsername>\Downloads\NDTK_package_files)
5. Open Interop tools on your phone, navigate until you are prompted to choose between several options to access the phone (This Device, Registry-less provider, etc.) Tap THIS DEVICE.
6. Got To the Unlock settings - Tap the Hamburger menu on the top left, tap Unlock, then Tap Interop Unlock. In this page you will see 4 toggles, do not toggle any of them. Instead head down to the Button that says "Allow the installation of NDTK on any device" and tap it.

After the above steps are complete use IUTOOL to send the NDTK packages to the phone

7. Using iutool.exe send the NDTK packages to the phone connected via USB from your PC.
-Open command prompt (on your PC hit the start menu and type cmd then hit enter) and type "C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\10\tools\bin\i386\iutool.exe" -V -p "C:\Whatever_The_path_is_To_Your_Extracted_NDTK_package_files_is"

Your phone will reboot and provision the packages.
After the reboot open the Interop Tools app and navigate again (This Device->Hamburger Menu->Unlock->Interop Unlock) to the Interop Unlock menu. Below the 4 toggles Tap the button that now says "Restore Default Manufacturer". Interop Tools will close itself and this is normal.

--Check if access to the registry is enabled--
This is the quickest way to test registry write access imo and helps visually to see it this way.
1. On your phone navigate to the Interop Tools app again and open it. Navigate to the ssh account manager (This Device->Tap the hamburger menu->Tap SSH account manager).
2. Once there make sure you are in the USERS section, look to see if there are users populated. If the users Sirepuser or InteropTools exist then we can proceed to the tweaks. If the user names do not show in this section the registry cannot be touched yet and we need to troubleshoot to see if write access can be achieved.

A few troubleshooting options if write access to the registry is a no go...
-Sometimes for some reason Restoring NDTKsvc even on a non Lumia device works: To restore navigate again (Hamburger menu->Unlock->Interop Unlock) to the Interop Unlock menu. Tap the Restore NDTKsvc toggle to on.
-Other times try uninstalling Interop tools. Uninstall the app reboot the phone, then reinstall the app.
-Last resort, do a hard reset. Once set back up, reinstall only Interop Tools and its ARM dependencies, no need to push the packages again since they are preserved on a hard reset.

--Enable the ability to turn off the Camera shutter sound--
Finally the quick and easy part...
1. After NDTK package install was done, and you can verify able to write to the registry via Interop Tools...navigate to the Interop Tools app again and open it. Navigate to the tweaks section (This Device->Hamburger menu->Tweak->Tweaks).
2. Swipe the list until you find "Allow Camera Sounds (Reboot required)". Toggle that to On, and reboot.
3. Once rebooted navigate to Settings Personalization and Sounds, you should see the check box now and disable it.

--Enable LED Notifications--
**This one is somewhat subjective to the current OS build you are on. I did this while running a freshly flashed Elite X3 with the latest fw (0002.0000.0037.0001), the OS build of 10.0.14393.953 and as soon as I finished LED notifications flash was working. I did not even need a reboot. The LED alert cab files hosted by Microsoft are what drive the Elite X3 to be able to use the LED for notifications. The registry edits are the other part. So these instructions are taken from my scenario (FW and OS build numbers) and pushing an alert LED cab file to my phone from the OS build 14393.1066. You can ask here and I can give information on which cabs to use for your OS build, but if your build is too new, after pushing the cabs, you might have to wait until the next OS update to see the LED work.

1. Download and extract the X3_LED_alert_cab.zip files to a folder of your choice on your PC (ex. C:\Users\<YourUsername>\Downloads\X3_LED_alert_cab).
2. Using IUTOOL push the cab file (microsoft.ms_weh_ledalert.mainos.cbs_1e125a13bfc71e2e8de880c3e5c0d479f08ec8de.cab) to the phone.
-Open command prompt (on your PC hit the start menu and type cmd then hit enter) and type "C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\10\tools\bin\i386\iutool.exe" -V -p "C:\Whatever_The_path_is_TO_Your_Extracted_X3_LED_alert_cab"

3. After the reboot open the Interop Tools app and navigate to Notification LED (This Device->Hamburger Menu->Tweak->Notification LED) page. You will see a bell Icon. Tap it to enable the check box, and get LED notifications. Now you can see in your Settings System Notifications and Actions the toggle for LED notifications. You may need to reboot to see the LED light up.

**Folks if possible try to thank the developer of Interop Tools guss33000. Without his application it would be double the work or in some cases not possible to configure or enable most locked features like the above.**

Attachments

• NDTK_package_files.zip
    62.2 KB · Views: 118
  • X3_LED_alert_cab.zip
    38 KB · Views: 94
Last edited:

Ryujingt3

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site
This guide shows how to enable two features lacking on the Elite X3 that I find useful.
You will be able to have the option to disable Camera sounds and enable LED notifications.

This was performed using a freshly flashed (WDRT reset) US Elite X3 with the latest firmware (0002.0000.0037.0001)

--Install interop tools and push the Nokia Device Tool kit packages to your phone--
1. Enable developer mode on your Elite X3 -- Settings->Update & security->For developers tap the radio button Developer mode.
2. Install interop tools and its ARM dependencies to your phone. Follow this XDA link to download one of the release candidate versions which seems to be the friendliest version imo, then copy the files to your phone's Downloads directory. Tap each file to install it locally to your phone. - https://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=71000190&postcount=607 (version InteropTools_1.9.437.0_arm_RC3)
3. Download and then install the Windows developer kit iutool package to your PC here - https://download.microsoft.com/down...5524A95/wdk/Installers/WP_CPTT_NT-x86-fre.msi
4. Download the attached NDTK_package_files zip file and extract them to a directory of your choice on your PC (ex. C:\Users\<YourUsername>\Downloads\NDTK_package_files)
5. Open Interop tools on your phone, navigate until you are prompted to choose between several options to access the phone (This Device, Registry-less provider, etc.) Tap THIS DEVICE.
6. Got To the Unlock settings - Tap the Hamburger menu on the top left, tap Unlock, then Tap Interop Unlock. In this page you will see 4 toggles, do not toggle any of them. Instead head down to the Button that says "Allow the installation of NDTK on any device" and tap it.

After the above steps are complete use IUTOOL to send the NDTK packages to the phone

7. Using iutool.exe send the NDTK packages to the phone connected via USB from your PC.
-Open command prompt (on your PC hit the start menu and type cmd then hit enter) and type "C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\10\tools\bin\i386\iutool.exe" -V -p "C:\Whatever_The_path_is_To_Your_Extracted_NDTK_package_files_is"

After the reboot open the Interop Tools app and navigate again (This Device->Hamburger Menu->Unlock->Interop Unlock) to the Interop Unlock menu. Below the 4 toggles Tap the button that now says "Restore Default Manufacturer". Interop Tools will close itself and this is normal.

--Check if access to the registry is enabled--
This is the quickest way to test registry write access imo and helps visually to see it this way.
1. On your phone navigate to the Interop Tools app again and open it. Navigate to the ssh account manager (This Device->Tap the hamburger menu->Tap SSH account manager).
2. Once there make sure you are in the USERS section, look to see if there are users populated. If the users Sirepuser or InteropTools exist then we can proceed to the tweaks. If the user names do not show in this section the registry cannot be touched yet and we need to troubleshoot to see if write access can be achieved.

A few troubleshooting options if write access to the registry is a no go...
-Sometimes for some reason Restoring NDTKsvc even on a non Lumia device works: To restore navigate again (Hamburger menu->Unlock->Interop Unlock) to the Interop Unlock menu. Tap the Restore NDTKsvc toggle to on.
-Other times try uninstalling Interop tools. Uninstall the app reboot the phone, then reinstall the app.
-Last resort, do a hard reset. Once set back up, reinstall only Interop Tools and its ARM dependencies, no need to push the packages again since they are preserved on a hard reset.

--Enable the ability to turn off the Camera shutter sound--
Finally the quick and easy part...
1. After NDTK package install was done, and you can verify able to write to the registry via Interop Tools...navigate to the Interop Tools app again and open it. Navigate to the tweaks section (This Device->Hamburger menu->Tweak->Tweaks).
2. Swipe the list until you find "Allow Camera Sounds (Reboot required)". Toggle that to On, and reboot.
3. Once rebooted navigate to Settings Personalization and Sounds, you should see the check box now and disable it.

--Enable LED Notifications--
**This one is somewhat subjective to the current OS build you are on. I did this while running a freshly flashed Elite X3 with the latest fw (0002.0000.0037.0001), the OS build of 10.0.14393.953 and as soon as I finished LED notifications flash was working. I did not even need a reboot. The LED alert cab files hosted by Microsoft are what drive the Elite X3 to be able to use the LED for notifications. The registry edits are the other part. So these instructions are taken from my scenario (FW and OS build numbers) and pushing an alert LED cab file to my phone from the OS build 14393.1066. You can ask here and I can give information on which cabs to use for your OS build, but if your build is too new, after pushing the cabs, you might have to wait until the next OS update to see the LED work.

1. Download and extract the X3_LED_alert_cab.zip files to a folder of your choice on your PC (ex. C:\Users\<YourUsername>\Downloads\X3_LED_alert_cab).
2. Using IUTOOL push the cab file (microsoft.ms_weh_ledalert.mainos.cbs_1e125a13bfc71e2e8de880c3e5c0d479f08ec8de.cab) to the phone.
-Open command prompt (on your PC hit the start menu and type cmd then hit enter) and type "C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\10\tools\bin\i386\iutool.exe" -V -p "C:\Whatever_The_path_is_TO_Your_Extracted_X3_LED_alert_cab"

3. After the reboot open the Interop Tools app and navigate to Notification LED (This Device->Hamburger Menu->Tweak->Notification LED) page. You will see a bell Icon. Tap it to enable the check box, and get LED notifications. Now you can see in your Settings System Notifications and Actions the toggle for LED notifications. You may need to reboot to see the LED light up.

**Folks if possible try to thank the developer of Interop Tools guss33000. Without his application it would be double the work or in some cases not possible to configure or enable most locked features like the above.**

Thanks for this, @Nate W. I wish there was an easier way though. Interop Tools used to be a UWP app until MS pulled it. My X3 is not even a week out so I don't fancy doing this to it just yet. I appreciate the guide and the time you took to make it for us though. I'll try it at a later stage.

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
No. Auto hide can be enabled in the registry but I've never experienced it to work like I expected it (auto hiding after a certain time or after no touch input). Only swipe up from the bottom to hide works for now.

newnews

Oct 17, 2014
Visit site
thank you for the guide, I enabled LED on my x3. However I cannot find the package for my OS version which is 10.0.15254.124, so I used the cab for 14393. It works!

I I

Jun 6, 2013
Visit site
Hi, @nate0 Thank you for your useful guide.

Do you know where I can download a copy of the X3_LED_alert_cab.zip, which works on the latest (15254.582) build?

Thanks...

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
Hi, @nate0 Thank you for your useful guide.

Do you know where I can download a copy of the X3_LED_alert_cab.zip, which works on the latest (15254.582) build?

Thanks...
That is a good question. I mentioned above asking why it did not work with the latest build but nobody has replied. Care sharing any info on why the other cab is not working?

Have you already tried other cab files or the known working one?

Last edited:

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
Guys I do not own an Elite X3 anymore, any news? Can you provide some details on what exactly happened with the LED notifications/camera sound hack? The only way I can have a direction to help is if more detail is shared...

johnkoshy

Mar 15, 2016
Visit site
Thank you so much. I am able to disable the camera sound now. Is there a way to wake up the phone by double tap. Even-though the double tap wake up option is present in the settings, it works only to turn off the screen but I never able to wake up the phone by double tap.

Last edited:

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
Thank you so much. I am able to disable the camera sound now. Is there a way to wake up the phone by double tap. Even-though the double tap wake up option is present in the settings, it works only to turn off the screen but I never able to wake up the phone by double tap.

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
For the dttw (dbl tap to wake) feature much how the Lumias and even Alcatel implemented (idol 4s) is just not available for the elite x3. Only the hp version in extras which works using mostly the accelerometer and not the digitizer of the lcd. So unfortunately no.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3