Handwriting/stylus apps

renster721

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
What would you guys consider the best handwriting and Stylus apps? I am looking for a handwriting app that is as responsive as the handwriting option in the built-in keyboard.

I've used OneNote metro and desktop, and both seem to have a slight lag when using the stylus for hand writing. Using the stylus with the keyboard is more fluid/smoother IMO. I'm wondering if anyone has found an app (metro or desktop) that can match the fluidity of using the handwriting option on the keyboard. Any recommendations would be helpful. Thanks.

jojoe42

Sep 13, 2013
Visit site
What would you guys consider the best handwriting and Stylus apps? I am looking for a handwriting app that is as responsive as the handwriting option in the built-in keyboard.

I've used OneNote metro and desktop, and both seem to have a slight lag when using the stylus for hand writing. Using the stylus with the keyboard is more fluid/smoother IMO. I'm wondering if anyone has found an app (metro or desktop) that can match the fluidity of using the handwriting option on the keyboard. Any recommendations would be helpful. Thanks.

Have you tried Windows Journal? It's built into the system, and personally I don't really notice much input lag when it comes to using the stylus in OneNote. Also, SketchBook Express in the Windows Store is nice for sketching and the like: https://forums.windowscentral.com/e...-windows-tablet%2F9wzdncrfj16p&token=V9bsM784

renster721

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
Have you tried Windows Journal? It's built into the system, and personally I don't really notice much input lag when it comes to using the stylus in OneNote. Also, SketchBook Express in the Windows Store is nice for sketching and the like: SketchBook Express app for Windows in the Windows Store

I tried out Windows Journal, and it is great. It's a bit more fluid and similar to handwriting in the keyboard. Apparently the difference between OneNote and the handwriting on the built in keyboard (as well as WJ) is the inking API. I can't find the link now, but the differences are explained in one of the office blogs in case anyone is interested. Thanks for the help!

jhoff80

Apr 27, 2003
Visit site
You might want to try out Sketchable too from the Store. It's an art program with a journal metaphor, so if you're not looking for handwriting recognition or searchability or any for the other advanced features OneNote gives you, it might work for you as well. The basic program is free with the 'brush' tool, but for writing you'd probably want to spend the couple bucks on either the pen or pencil tool (or $12 for all tools). I'm not an artist, but I've played with the app's free tool and came away impressed by it.

There was also Microsoft's 'Project Austin' coding demo, but nothing ever came of that and I'm not sure the compiled version works anymore.

randomscandinavian

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
MyScript Stylus V.3.2 (Windows) - Shop - Vision Objects

i love this app. it has a free thirty day trial. you can customize it a lot. I bought this to use with Excel.. Haven't tried that yet. I also like that an Icon appears when you tap on a writable area.

I was very impressed at first. But even though the text recognition is probably even better than the Surface's stylus keyboard, it still isn't accurate enough to actually use without going back and corecting all the time. And the interface seems terrible and unmanagable. Can't tell if it is running in the background and if so where. Just too un-Windowsy for me. :)

QOAM

Feb 4, 2013
Visit site
i set mine to start with windows. it puts an icon on my taskbar and you can have the write pad slide from either side. You are probably correct when you say "not as good as the one that comes with windows." I think nothing is as good as the one on the surface,if that is a Wacom digitizer. But I find the ink can be customized better than anything NOT Wacom. (personal opinion) but if I remember correctly the writepad doesn't load automatically ..you have to go to the taskbar and click it open from there. I don't have the surface. Played with one once. I bought and sold my Dell. The stylus was HORRIBLE .. I have a Samsung windows Slate 7 .. Wacom digitizer. VERY GOOD and a Fujitsu with some other digitizer. Not as good as my Samsung. My favorite was windows 7 and previous for writing.

randomscandinavian

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
I couldn't pin the thing to the taskbar. I think there is only the system tray mini icon inside that window that pops up. I forget what it's called and I'm on my iPad now (which I will probably continue to use for surfing, solitaire, etc).

Anyway that program sometimes came up with a small icon in seemingly random parts of the screen. Like when I tried to click on a link to download something in Firefox, the MyScript icon wouldn't let me click on the link.

I don't know... Perhaps I gave up too quickly. I should probably go back and read the instructions properly. Would be good if you could hand write a url into the browser url window, or a google search phrase straight into the search window. I think I paniced a little because it was so different and because Windows warned me not to run the accompanying language pack installer.

And what I meant was that it is probably better than the Surface native text recognition, because of the learning your handwriting part.

EDIT: MyScript Notes Mobile from the same company looks even more relevant for simply making notes on the Surface. Will try that tomorrow.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss