Has any used/bought the 4gb ram model of the surface go

richard_rsp

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I picked up an open box 4GB model from the local Best Buy. So far, I am pretty impressed. I tried Cuphead in 1080p and had no problems (a bit warm though). For the price, this will work great for a 2nd computer.

Pedalboy

Mar 28, 2006
Visit site
Thank you for this thread. I have not posted on Windows Central since I owned a Samsung Jack and have since been using Android devices. My Nvidia Shield is about to enter an assisted living center and I am very intrigued by Surface Go as a replacement so I can use it as a 2 in 1. I really only use my tablet to browse, watch Netflix and a few sporting events and e-mail. At the risk of thread drift I have some concern about the Android apps I would no longer be using. I would use Surface Go for writing, word processing and might stash some of that on the SD card. All that said- is 4g enough? Price point would be the selling point for me. Thanks again.

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
Thank you for this thread. I have not posted on Windows Central since I owned a Samsung Jack and have since been using Android devices. My Nvidia Shield is about to enter an assisted living center and I am very intrigued by Surface Go as a replacement so I can use it as a 2 in 1. I really only use my tablet to browse, watch Netflix and a few sporting events and e-mail. At the risk of thread drift I have some concern about the Android apps I would no longer be using. I would use Surface Go for writing, word processing and might stash some of that on the SD card. All that said- is 4g enough? Price point would be the selling point for me. Thanks again.

It depends a bit on your browsing habits. If you're the type to have two dozen tabs open then you'll quickly run into problems. Otherwise, browsing on the Go should be fine.

Drael646464

Apr 2, 2017
Visit site

Windows has all the basic touch apps, social media, Netflix, spotify etc. Look in the windows store

Mark Travis

Jan 2, 2015
Visit site
Hello Drael646464, you are the first person to mention using Adobe Illustrator and Surface Go. How does it fare please?

I am sorely tempted by the form, size etc of the Go but ideally need it to handle some light use of Illustrator + InDesign for sketching when I'm travelling around for work. The desktop can handle the heavy duty Adobe CC tasks, but any 8gb Go needs to play a small part.

Thanks also for your comments. They do help people like me in making a decision.

Drael646464

Apr 2, 2017
Visit site
Hello Drael646464, you are the first person to mention using Adobe Illustrator and Surface Go. How does it fare please?

I am sorely tempted by the form, size etc of the Go but ideally need it to handle some light use of Illustrator + InDesign for sketching when I'm travelling around for work. The desktop can handle the heavy duty Adobe CC tasks, but any 8gb Go needs to play a small part.

Thanks also for your comments. They do help people like me in making a decision.

Oh, well I haven't used the go. As I explained, my tablet is a cherry trail windows 10 tablet with 4gb of ram. The processor is not as good as the go's is, it's an older tablet. The purpose of my comment was really to show that lighter TDP processors are not as incapable as people on the internet would have you believe, and that 4gb is actually pretty solid unless you multi-task or have specific high ram tasks. Even on the desktop, most real analysis doesn't advise more than 8gb even for gaming. For high res photo's etc, that's a bit different though.

On my tablet, illustrator wasn't exactly fast, but I was able to do some sketches without worry. In general my experience with lower tdp windows tablets is that they are capable of more than people think they are. I've been able to do some basic sketches and some simple music composition (that's a cpu oriented task, pretty heavy if you go to the extremes), as well as play some lighter games, like tyranny or trine 2.

YMMV if you depend on it for work. Professionals can have higher demands and standards.

My instinct is that the 8gb will do fine for light work, for your purposes as you state (especially because the newer intergrated graphics chips are pretty capable, and I think that will matter here), but you might want to wait to see what artist reviewers say.

There are some videos on youtube with photoshop and the go but for firm information you might have to wait a little. I can see why you'd be interested in this as a mobile sketchpad. Certainly when I get the go myself, I'll be using the pen more than the keyboard.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rhiannonbarion