Has anyone been able to change Cortana to use the metric system instead of imperial?

bodha

Apr 8, 2013
Visit site
Hey,

I was just wondering if anyone managed to change the default units that Cortana uses to metric? For example, the weather reports Cortana gives are in Fahrenheit. She is willing to change the units to metric just by me telling her to, which is neat, but still it would be nicer to have these things happen instantly.

anon(8773273)

Apr 17, 2014
Visit site
The best I can find is after you ask for the weather you can say "whats that in Celsius?" and she will convert the whole week. So it seems like metric is supported its just not possible to set it to default

EDIT---
I did a little more research into this. WP8.1 chooses what units to use based on your region. Because altering the region is how your enable Cortana that means that Cortana and the metric are in a sense mutually exclusive. Though as soon as a country that does support the metric system is Cortana enabled you should just be able to switch to that region to get to the metric system

Last edited:

Maxwell Zwe

Jul 2, 2014
Visit site
Bez názvu.png
With regards to that, I hope that Windows 7/8-like regional support is coming; regardless of the region you are in or the language you use, you can still choose between Imperial and Metric units.

gMaesterUK

Jun 29, 2014
Visit site
I'm using Cortana in the UK, and she does default to metric here, so can only assume as a country comes online it's be made metric or imperial based on the country's measurement.

G.

AV2RY

Sep 14, 2013
Visit site
Would love to have metric units. I've lived in the US for X years and still have no idea what is normal and hot temperature in ?F. I know below 30? F is cold :)

gMaesterUK

Jun 29, 2014
Visit site
Hopefully over time, MS will give Cortana more options as I can only work in metric for temperature, but use imperial for everything else...

G.

EssThree

Dec 28, 2012
Visit site
Microsoft need to make it that Cortana is linked only to the phone's speech setting and leave the language/region/country independent.

If I'm a French person living in the UK, I should be able to use the French speech and UK country setting. If I'm an Australian living in the US I should be able to have UK speech with US country and Australian region settings. If I'm an Australian living in Australia and I hate the UK voice I should be able to use US speech with Australian country and regional settings.

M Mark

Feb 17, 2013
Visit site
Interesting observation here.
On Windows 10 devices (both tablet and phone) asking Cortana "what's the weather like" shows temperature in Celsius. Weather in notebook is still Fahrenheit though.
Language, speech and region all set to English US but I'm located in EU.

Looks like Microsoft finally recognized the problem...

jcinoz

Oct 10, 2013
Visit site
Cortana has today started giving me my weather (in Australia) in celcius without me having to ask! My settings are for the US Cortana beta and not the Australian Alpha. I even restarted the phone thinking it was some kind of mistake.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte