Have 1520 but should I have waited?

Daniel Edwards

Dec 11, 2012
Visit site
Having had an unlocked 1520 for the last 3 weeks, I am wondering if I have made a mistake and should have got the 930. I run between 40 and 50 miles a month and the 1520 has proved a struggle to find an arm band big enough. Should I swap? What would you do?

Daniel Edwards

Dec 11, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the ideas. I use the health and fitness GPS tracker Along with TuneIn streaming radio so really need a phone. I have my old 920 and can see me using that and having to swap the sim all the time... If any case manufacturer is reading this, please design a way so I can use the 1520... ...😁

anon(7822191)

Jul 15, 2013
Visit site
In my opinion, the only reason to keep a 1520 over a 930 is the superior battery life. When it comes to size and looks, the 930 is unmatched at the moment. Your 1520 isn't getting any smaller. I'd say swap, but keep in mind the battery life you're used to is going to be turned upside down.

Brokn Wing

Jul 21, 2013
Visit site
You Made The Best choice mate. I Don't think 930 is any better then 1520. Large screen is a plus point and all other things are killer in all expect. I m glad to say that My hunting For a real smartphone has come to an end ;)

rohit111

Jun 26, 2014
Visit site
Well the answer to that is what you prefer. 5" or 6" screen and upgradeable memory on the 1520 to 128GB. Both phones have the same processors and the rest. So the choice is based on screen size and expandable memory.

Dennis LOH

Apr 15, 2014
Visit site
Rohit111: I totally agree with you as I had a 1520 before & I'm going for a 930 now. Even with the external memory card which the 1520 has. It kinds of put me off when I cannot save any videos downloaded via YouTube Downloader app for offline viewing. It is stored in the internal memory. So no diff as far as I'm concerned.

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
This really is something you have to figure out. I would never buy a 1520 to begin with, I'm just not in the target audience for phablets. Even 5" is pushing it, but at the same time I only do high end/flagships and you cant really get them much smaller anymore :p

hasasimo

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
Any phone is too big to run with. Buy yourself a Sansa Clip and keep your 1520.

That's what I use. Also keeps my phone free in the car, and makes it easier to skip tracks while driving since you're pressing actual buttons and not a touch screen. No need to ever look down. My Sansa Clip is one of the best investments I've ever made.

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
I'm not sure how a MP3 player is gonna replace having a mobile phone on you. Sure, it's likely that he uses it for music too but my first and foremost reason for carrying my phone on me is that I can get in contact and be contacted.

These days I'm quite terrified if I have to leave home without my phone for whatever reason, what if something happens and I need to call help? What if something happens at home and they need to get in contact with me? Sure, I release it's not been like this for many decades and humankind has managed just fine, but I'm pretty sure people having that phone on them for emergency calls has saved a lot more lives than an MP3 player ever has :D

Daniel Edwards

Dec 11, 2012
Visit site
You Made The Best choice mate. I Don't think 930 is any better then 1520. Large screen is a plus point and all other things are killer in all expect. I m glad to say that My hunting For a real smartphone has come to an end ;)

Have to say, calling it a "phone" is a little misleading. More like a mini tablet that makes calls... Lego Movie on the memory card has swayed me back to the 1520 :winktongue: at the moment.

hasasimo

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
Daniel, are you based outside of North America? That may help with your decision, since of course you won't be getting LTE if you switch to a 930 and in North America. I'm considering a switch from my 1520, but the lack of glance support, poorer battery life, but especially the lack of LTE in North America are putting me off.

Daniel Edwards

Dec 11, 2012
Visit site
Daniel, are you based outside of North America? That may help with your decision, since of course you won't be getting LTE if you switch to a 930 and in North America. I'm considering a switch from my 1520, but the lack of glance support, poorer battery life, but especially the lack of LTE in North America are putting me off.
No. Im in the UK and I do love the 1520. Its just not that practical in regards to everyday use. Brilliant for video, browsing and even ebooks but crap to fit in your pocket. Battery life is as big pull. Charging it every 3 or 4 days. Not everyday like my 920.

arni99

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I own both and am constantly swapping between the 2 ;).
For daily business I prefer the smaller 930. The larger battery in the 1520 is not really a great advantage over the 930 in my opinion as the larger screen consumes more power when in use.

envio

Jun 20, 2012
Visit site

Totally agree and I've got a 930 but if I already had a 1520, I wouldn't be concerned at all. The only advantage of the 930 is the slight improvement in the camera firmware and maybe there's a bump in BT Low Energy support. Everything else, the 1520 wins. Enjoy it OP!!

bh626

Jan 16, 2012
Visit site
To me the biggest issue with the 1520 is the pocket-ability. I have an 8X now and put together an actual size comparison to get an idea of the 3 phones, since I can't handle one in a store in Canada. For me the 930 is looking pretty good - fairly compact with a 5" 1080 screen.

Be sure to click for full size.

1520_vs_HTC8X_vs_930.jpg

Here is an overlay of the 8X screen on the 930 to give you an idea of how much more real estate there is on a slightly bigger body, thanks to the much smaller bezels.

HTC8X_overlay_930.jpg

hasasimo

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
To me the biggest issue with the 1520 is the pocket-ability. I have an 8X now and put together an actual size comparison to get an idea of the 3 phones, since I can't handle one in a store in Canada. For me the 930 is looking pretty good - fairly compact with a 5" 1080 screen.

Be sure to click for full size.

View attachment 73268

Here is an overlay of the 8X screen on the 930 to give you an idea of how much more real estate there is on a slightly bigger body, thanks to the much smaller bezels.

View attachment 73269

Going from a 920 to a 1520 I can tell you that you get used to the size pretty quickly. I also wear slim jeans and the phone fits in my side pocket. I think the 930 is a beautiful device though, and I've been tempted to give up my 1520 for it, but I'm hesitant to give up the stellar battery life, Glance, LTE (I'm in the U.S.), and an app or two that's no longer in the store.

Am I right that you'd have to do without LTE if you go with the 930, being that you're in Canada?

bh626

Jan 16, 2012
Visit site
Going from a 920 to a 1520 I can tell you that you get used to the size pretty quickly. I also wear slim jeans and the phone fits in my side pocket. I think the 930 is a beautiful device though, and I've been tempted to give up my 1520 for it, but I'm hesitant to give up the stellar battery life, Glance, LTE (I'm in the U.S.), and an app or two that's no longer in the store.

Am I right that you'd have to do without LTE if you go with the 930, being that you're in Canada?

I'm not sure if the 930 will work with Bell LTE, I'll have to see what others say...

sepde

Apr 15, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for the ideas. I use the health and fitness GPS tracker Along with TuneIn streaming radio so really need a phone. I have my old 920 and can see me using that and having to swap the sim all the time... If any case manufacturer is reading this, please design a way so I can use the 1520... ...��

I ordered SPIbelt copy from ebay to see if I can put my 1520 to it while running.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)