Have Amber now; zero new options

Paul Verizzo

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
I've been reading about the Amber update while my phone was in repair. It came back with Amber installed, cool!

No Glance, no maps or data to SD card, no double tap. And, of course, no Wifi Calling.

No changes in Settings that I can see. I've read most of the Amber postings, at least in its early days. I think I have a sense of what I should be finding.

Under extras+info (only see info, no extra anything!) I have RM-878_nam_usa_100.
OS version: 8.0.10327.77
Firmware 3043.0000.1326.0017

Paul Verizzo

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
Um........no.......pray tell what are "system apps?" An app is what we used to call a program. Programs, hence apps, are outside of the system.

Shouldn't Amber update get all those things I mentioned working, at least optional in settings?

Hey, but I'm willing to learn.

Mroofieunblockm

Jul 4, 2013
Visit site
I've been reading about the Amber update while my phone was in repair. It came back with Amber installed, cool!

No Glance, no maps or data to SD card, no double tap. And, of course, no Wifi Calling.

No changes in Settings that I can see. I've read most of the Amber postings, at least in its early days. I think I have a sense of what I should be finding.

Under extras+info (only see info, no extra anything!) I have RM-878_nam_usa_100.
OS version: 8.0.10327.77
Firmware 3043.0000.1326.0017
send it back to repair

Paul Verizzo

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
Go to the store and update all of the apps on your phone. Some of the features (like glance) come in an update to Nokia Programs and not the Firmware itself.
FAQ - Nokia Lumia 928 - Why I cannot find the Nokia Glance Screen on my Lumia with Windows Phone 8? - Nokia - USA
FAQ - Nokia Lumia 928 - Why I cannot find the Storage Check app on my Lumia with Windows Phone 8? - Nokia - USA

I've got 21 apps that won't download. The 8000ffff error. Don't know if that is the problem. Yes, I'm logged into my Nokia account.

OK, so after a half century of digital computing, the line between system and programs is blurred? Sounds like it's true. Think I'll pour a stiff drink.

Angry_Mushroom

Jan 18, 2013
Visit site
Forgive me if you already checked, but a lot of these settings are shoved into pre-existing settings menus. For example Glance will be found in the Touch+display settings area. There was another poster here who had the same issue as you. He had to go around and force update the new features or something along those lines. Sorry I can't be more specific, but I'm pretty sure I recall seeing it around here somewhere. I believe MXI above has the solution I just mentioned.

The wifi calling on the other hand will likely never show up on the 810. TMO had the chance to activate the feature, but chose not to. Much like the LTE. GDR2/Amber will not turn on LTE or wifi calling for us 810 users. Also don't expect to see FM radio.

Sorry if I wasn't much help.

PB_H

Banned
Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
Um........no.......pray tell what are "system apps?" An app is what we used to call a program. Programs, hence apps, are outside of the system.

Shouldn't Amber update get all those things I mentioned working, at least optional in settings?

Hey, but I'm willing to learn.

I posted a link to system apps a few days ago, where ? I don't know you'll have to do a search but it's here.

Paul Verizzo

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
@Angry Musroom, MXI, and PB_H. Thank you for your help and calm observations. I did find the Glance and other features by side scrolling in Settings. Yeah, call me stupid, heck, I rant and call others stupid, so I'll take the hit when it's me. I don't recall any settings previously that needed that "discovery."

Hugely disappointed in the double tap. I sorta presumed that double tapping would get past the lock screen and be at Start. For a person like me who apparently doesn't have friends trying to break into my phone, nor do I lose them, it's just a pain in the ***. I've had only two other touch screen phones, an Android and a Nokia C7. Neither requirement multiple gymnastic events to start things up, and both allowed a much long screen on time than five minutes. And if plugged in, the Android would run with a dimmed out screen (Hey, Nokia! Every hear of dimming as an alternative to off?)

Gotta say, without WFC, nor FM radio, nor double tap to Start, Amber has been a big tease. Wouldn't care one way or the other if I ever got it.

waazzupppp

Sep 28, 2009
Visit site
Just to clarify - the 810 doesn't have an FM radio in the specs anywhere, so I don't think a software patch can make that appear in the hardware. The only site that I have found that actually says that there is an FM radio in there is GSMArena - but PhoneArena, T-Mobile and Nokia's sites make no mention of the actual hardware being included.

christopherbarran

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I've got 21 apps that won't download. The 8000ffff error. Don't know if that is the problem. Yes, I'm logged into my Nokia account.

OK, so after a half century of digital computing, the line between system and programs is blurred? Sounds like it's true. Think I'll pour a stiff drink.

Here is what to do, when you swipe to the right and see the list of apps that give the error, just long press on them (one by one say) and select share. Email the link to yourself, that is to the email account you use on the phone. When you get the email, follow the link which will take you to the store where you can download the updates for most of those 21 apps, some are Nokia updates etc that will get you the features you are missing. Others might be apps that are no longer being published etc, which you can then cancel the download.
I hope this helps. I had a similar issue when I flashed my L920.

Robert Novak1

Jun 29, 2013
Visit site
Just to clarify - the 810 doesn't have an FM radio in the specs anywhere, so I don't think a software patch can make that appear in the hardware. The only site that I have found that actually says that there is an FM radio in there is GSMArena - but PhoneArena, T-Mobile and Nokia's sites make no mention of the actual hardware being included.

Nokia also stated that the max supported SD card was 32GB... T-Mobile indirectly told one person in this forum that they did not enable the radio due to the impact on user experience....

detailed specs show FM present on the device (based upon reported chipset)

https://developer.qualcomm.com/mobile-development/development-devices/snapdragon-s4-msm8960-mdps

T-Mobile Nokia Lumia 810 Detailed Specs | Technical Datasheet | PDAdb.net

It's there, just not enabled.

punch in the ##3282# on the keypad and you will see that the diagnostics show LTE is available...

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte