Hello just moved from the iOS to WP8

Jerry Reyes

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
ex iPhone 5 user here.

Just wanted to say Hello, and let people know why I switched.

I was due for an upgrade August but waited to get my hads on the Lumia 1020. I timed it so that I would be able to get my hands on the iPhone 5s.

The first week I was disappointed, mainly not at the phones hardware, or WP8, but the Facebook App!!! I was definiate that i was going to return it, and get the iPhone 5s on Saturday. Then I saw the improvments on the iPhone 5s (there wasn't much, hah). The iPhone 5s screen was now looking small. The dual LED was a joke, i tried it against my old iPhone 5 (which my wife now has), the pictures look the same.

So I hung out at the AT&T store just trying out different the phones, because I won't have 2 week return on the next phone. I tried the Galaxy s4 which I came close to getting. Looked at the HTC 1. but there really wasn't any Wow factor.

The Phablets did have the Wow factor for me but cameras were lacking.

Well in the end I decided to keep the 1020 the camera is just too Awesome, I mean WOW!!! The WP8 OS interface (2 screens (start on the left/all apps right)) is like the way i use to organize my iPhone screens. So from that point of vew I think WP8 is a better fit.

I just passed my 2 week return deadline from AT&T. And didn't return it.

CONS, maybe you guys can help me out with work arounds for some of these:
1. Apps need developement, i don't really mind quantity, i prefer quality. with that specifically Facebook app. iOS FB app lets you uploade multiple pictures, crop, filter, and enhance the photos right in the app. WP8 Facebook app only lets you see thumbnails??? it's frustrating, when you take a bunch of pictures of your baby, you know only one of a dozen she is looking at the camera. You can't tell which from thumbnails!!! but that's Facebooks fault. I'm sure updates will com.
2. Notification. Tiles are great, but don't update enough. The notification center needs work.
3. Can't access the camara from password protected lockscreen. I tried holding down the camera button, but that just takes me to the password entry scree.
4. Back the the App thing again. Only app I really miss on the iPhone is the Costco app. With my iPhone, i can take a picture, if I like it, send it to Costco for printing. Then I pick it up the next time i'm at Costco.

That said:
1. Is there an app that can send pictures to print for pick up? at Walmart kmart or costco?
2. Is there a setting that lets me acess the camera from a password protected lockscreen?

Aloha,
Jerry

Thank You.

thirdcup

Jul 5, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Windows Phone! To answer your questions, Walgreen's has an app that allows you to print from the phone to the store.

As for accessing the camera from the lock screen, I agree that it's annoying to unlock the phone to take a quick pick. However, if you go to settings, swipe over to applications and scroll down to Camera+Photos, you can switch the default camera from the Nokia Pro cam to the Camera (built-in app), you can get to the camera from the lock screen without using your pin. The main downside to this is that you aren't using the pro cam, but it works if you need a quick picture.

markyjns

May 24, 2013
Visit site
Just in case you weren't aware there's also the Facebook Beta app, gets features ahead of the main app and despite its title is totally stable.
New features are rolled out at quite a pace, roll back a few months' and the FB app had almost nothing in it and was quite buggy, so its improving all the time.
Just switched from iPhone5 myself having trialled WP on an HTC side by side with the iPhone for a few months then I made the total switchover with the 1020 on release day last week (UK).
The 1020 is way ahead of the iPhone for me in soooo many ways.

Jerry Reyes

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
Just in case you weren't aware there's also the Facebook Beta app, gets features ahead of the main app and despite its title is totally stable.
New features are rolled out at quite a pace, roll back a few months' and the FB app had almost nothing in it and was quite buggy, so its improving all the time.
Just switched from iPhone5 myself having trialled WP on an HTC side by side with the iPhone for a few months then I made the total switchover with the 1020 on release day last week (UK).
The 1020 is way ahead of the iPhone for me in soooo many ways.

That's what i was hoping for. An update, although I though it would come months from now.

Luigi Lop

Sep 11, 2013
Visit site
Guys you should really learn not to,rely on the Facebook app and,instead use the system integration. So you need to the gallery and you select the photos, hit the menu and use the share contracts.

Sent from my GT-I8750 using Tapatalk

Jerry Reyes

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
Guys you should really learn not to,rely on the Facebook app and,instead use the system integration. So you need to the gallery and you select the photos, hit the menu and use the share contracts.

Is the system integration the "ME" and "PEOPLE" Apps? Or something else?

Muessig

Moderator Team Leader
Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
Hey Jerry, really great to see you here at WPCentral. We've got a great community here, and as you're finding out, they're a helpful bunch!

rdubmu

May 25, 2011
Visit site
You can access the camera from the lock screen.

Go to settings: swipe to the right, and ensure this setting is unchecked: prevent accidental camera launch when phone is locked.

jleebiker

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site

The system integration has some gaps. It's not the complete experience.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb