Help with upgrading from 1511 to 1607 problem

• Thread starter Windows Central Question
  • Start date
W

Windows Central Question

I have tried upgrading my laptop (Samsung Chronos 7) with windows 10 x64 1511 to Windows 10 x64 1607 with no avail. I have tried online upgrade and upgrade through media creation tool. Both did not work.
The problem i was experiencing was that once the upgrade process asked for system restart, my laptop refused to boot to desktop.
I tried safe mode to get to the desktop but laptop still refused to display the desktop.
The only method that worked was to forcefully turn off the laptop by pressing the power button while the laptop in the booting process, multiple times.
I believe the problem lies with the AMD Discreet GPU. As this Discreet GPU is faulty and right now is disabled.
It seems to me that the upgrade process forcefully enabled the Discreet GPU and install the driver which leads to the said problem.

My question is:
Is there any way of telling the upgrade process not to enable (the disabled device(s)) and/or install particular device driver?

Thank You

DAN

holdum333

Oct 2, 2016
Visit site
Hi Dan! Welcome to windows Central. I recommend a in-place upgrade. I just done one. It will take 2hours +. You will think it is hung up several times. Just walk away and let it complete. If you need more help, please join the forum Here!
How to repair Windows 10 with in-place upgrade. - wintips.org - Windows Tips & How-tos

The repair of Windows 10, can resolve many problems in Windows 10 functionality and some times is the most reliable and quickest way to fix the Windows 10 malfunctions. Also the in-place Windows 10 upgrade, which performed with the repair process, ensures that Windows 10 have the latest updates and fixes installed.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon