"Hey Cortana" - Any PC users actually still using it?

dermbrian

Aug 7, 2015
Visit site
The "Hey Cortana" voice recognition was probably THE major reason I was a very early upgrader from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10. In my experience, on my multiple PC's, it has never worked to where I was able to use it. It's not a question of voice recognition nearly as much as just extreme sluggishness. I see the Cortana field on Windows commercials and it recursively sorts a zillion possible things and quickly 'gets it'. Not on my PC's.

So....are there people out there that DO use that on a PC? If not, why not?

I am installing the Anniversary update on my most-used laptop as I'm typing this on my most-used desktop. I am hoping for some serious improvement in the voice-enabled Cortana operation.

Brian

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Yep. When the wife wants me to remind her about something and I'm sitting in front of my laptop, I say "Hey Cortana, remind me to blah blah blah."

Then we both laugh because she has the same setup I have.

dermbrian

Aug 7, 2015
Visit site
Well, after running the Anniversary Update on my fairly low-end laptop, Cortana now seems to be working well enough. MUCH better than it was before the upgrade.

I hope that lasts. If it continues to work this well, I'll keep using it. I like to be able to ask the time and temp, set timers, heads or tail....

The upgrade completed without any glitches, as far as I can tell so far.

demon09

Apr 28, 2016
Visit site
I've been using it more and more, which surprises even me, since I am a die-hard Android user and Google Now was my go to for everything--now on the computer I am using Cortana a lot, and even installed it on my phone to sync text messages and reminders. I am loving it, and it does work across the many, many devices I use in a week.

mtf1380

Nov 30, 2015
Visit site
I'm an early adopter on every release, but I've never once used Cortana, Google, or Siri. I don't really understand the allure.

One of my most favorite "Hey Cortana" used has been; when my desk is full, I am in the middle of something important, I get a 'you have a text from ????' notification from Cortana, on my desktop - "read it, or ignore it" she asks.

"Read it" I say.

"I am on my way home, but I am stopping by the store first" Cortana says; then she says "reply, or ignore"?

"Reply", I say; "OK" I continue; "send it" I add...Done & Gone! Didn't even have to put my pen down.

I can also do this during a run. Very convenient.

vEEP pEEP

Nov 1, 2014
Visit site
Nope.
I don't have a mic. And it's easier to type.
Even on my phone, I rarely use Cortana. I never see anyone use Siri, either.

Even if I did have a mic, I can't see myself screaming at Cortana from another room. Or even in the room...

"Hey Cortana, warm up my dinner and fix me a drink"...<crickets>

Scienceguy Labs

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
Like RumoredNow, I use Cortana all the time for reminders. I'd be in the infinite doghouse if I didn't. Second most frequent use for her is to open Netflix. :)

danj210

Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
Yes, I use the feature all the time for reminders and finding files, been also using it for searching as well. It's so sensitive that my Lumia 950 will pick me up saying "Hey Cortana" to my Surface Pro 4.

vezycash

Jun 20, 2013
Visit site
...so sensitive that my Lumia 950 will pick me up saying "Hey Cortana" to my Surface Pro 4.

"Hey Cortana!:smile:"

Cortana on Lumia, "You talking to me?"

"No, get me Cortana on Surface Pro"

"Yo, Cortana on Surface Pro. Hey Cortana on Surface Pro 4. You deaf?"

"Whaat?" Yawns, and stretches, "What? Cortana on Lumia 950?"

"You look like a mess. Out drinking last night?"

"Ummm, I..."

"Just save it. Danj210 wants to talk to you."

kaktus1389

Feb 7, 2016
Visit site
Once I wanted to test this so I had my 2 in 1 on and my main PC on and they both picked it up. Yeah I use it especially if something freezes I can tell her to create another desktop so I can open task manager from there and I also use it for reminders :p

Ariel Takom

Aug 9, 2015
Visit site
After Microsoft secretly allow Cortana to be used in non-supported countries (like Malaysia. Not sure if it's because I'm an Insider or not), I was finally able to use Hey Cortana on my laptop (phone was an 830, no 'Hey Cortana' support). Tbh, the use case is quite limited for me, but I do use it sometimes. Like make a quick reminder to download stuff, play my music, or just open the internet (or maybe tell a joke or two).

However, the voice listening is still not that good, probably because it still hasn't learned that much on non-native English accent, so Cortana would hear the word I pronounce incorrectly. Just hope this would improve in the near future, as well as adding more commands like shut down my laptop or lock the screen or what not.

But so far, I'm satisfied with it. Just can't help but feel that it could be better.

Seb_Rattansen

Dec 6, 2015
Visit site
Yep I use Cortana quite a bit. The voice recognition is really good, even with my New Zealand accent :) I also like how you can just type stuff into the box in terms of how you would say it, and Cortana recognises that too. Very cool feature.

Also she tells good jokes!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb