Hi All, Yet Another Soon to be Newbie Here

DWPGQ

Nov 5, 2013
Visit site
Hi there,

The company that I work for is about to switch to WP8 phones from Blackberry. I have/had a Z-10 and really quite enjoyed it with the help of Crackberry and the leaked OS's, but they have decided to switch to WP8 due to uncertainty with Blackberry.

I will be getting a Lumia 1020 from Rogers in Canada on Friday (actually our company will be getting about 40 of them). From what little I have researched, it has a pretty sick phone with 41 mb sensor. I have never used a WP8 phone and was wondering if anyone had any tips on setting it up, using the app store (not sure what it's called yet) and all that stuff. Not sure if Windows has more apps than BB10 does, but I suppose I will find that out soon enough.

Anyway, any info on getting setup with this new phone and technology would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

rdubmu

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Hi there,

The company that I work for is about to switch to WP8 phones from Blackberry. I have/had a Z-10 and really quite enjoyed it with the help of Crackberry and the leaked OS's, but they have decided to switch to WP8 due to uncertainty with Blackberry.

I will be getting a Lumia 1020 from Rogers in Canada on Friday (actually our company will be getting about 40 of them). From what little I have researched, it has a pretty sick phone with 41 mb sensor. I have never used a WP8 phone and was wondering if anyone had any tips on setting it up, using the app store (not sure what it's called yet) and all that stuff. Not sure if Windows has more apps than BB10 does, but I suppose I will find that out soon enough.

Anyway, any info on getting setup with this new phone and technology would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

The 1020 is a great device! I hope you enjoy it!

Sent from my LG-D801 using WPCentral Forums mobile app

luk3ja

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
Hello and welcome :)

You are definitely going to absolutely LOVE your new Lumia 1020! The phone is top quality and the OS is beautiful and very smooth and fast.

The app store on Windows Phone is simply called 'Store' :) and wow at your company getting 40 of the most expensive Windows Phone on sale so far! The camera on this phone is incredible and no other smartphone comes close and Nokia has made an app called Nokia Camera that allows you to manually control the focus that no other phone can do as far as I know. Also Official Instagram and Official Vine will be coming in a couple of weeks.

What do you use your phone for?

rdubmu

May 25, 2011
Visit site
A couple of tips. Make sure you set it up using the right Microsoft Account. It will be the same one you use for Xbox if you have one. If you want to use a different type email or even change your email account you have to do a factory reset.

As for the app store. It uses the same account as your Microsoft account and there is no way to change its.

You are able to add all different types of email, pop3, IMAP, exchange.. Etc.

Other tips, download the best app ever, WPCentral. It is where I find out about most of my apps.

luk3ja

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
A couple of tips. Make sure you set it up using the right Microsoft Account. It will be the same one you use for Xbox if you have one. If you want to use a different type email or even change your email account you have to do a factory reset.

As for the app store. It uses the same account as your Microsoft account and there is no way to change its.

You are able to add all different types of email, pop3, IMAP, exchange.. Etc.

Other tips, download the best app ever, WPCentral. It is where I find out about most of my apps.

This makes it sound a bit like you have to do a factory reset to alter any email account, this is not the case, you only have to do that to change your Microsoft account which is used by everything on the phone...
It is used to backup your text messages, backup photos, sync contacts and calendars etc.

DWPGQ

Nov 5, 2013
Visit site
Hello and welcome :)

You are definitely going to absolutely LOVE your new Lumia 1020! The phone is top quality and the OS is beautiful and very smooth and fast.

The app store on Windows Phone is simply called 'Store' :) and wow at your company getting 40 of the most expensive Windows Phone on sale so far! The camera on this phone is incredible and no other smartphone comes close and Nokia has made an app called Nokia Camera that allows you to manually control the focus that no other phone can do as far as I know. Also Official Instagram and Official Vine will be coming in a couple of weeks.

What do you use your phone for?

Hi There,

I use the phone primarily for email and viewing documents on the go. I had been with Blackberry for the last several years and it did what it had to. I do find that I tend to use my camera on my Z-10 quite a bit, so I am really looking forward to how well it works on the 1020. I am really going to miss my BBM though as it recently went cross platform, but not yet for Windows. I am definitely not a heavy app user aside from productivity stuff.

Thanks again for the reply

DWPGQ

Nov 5, 2013
Visit site
This makes it sound a bit like you have to do a factory reset to alter any email account, this is not the case, you only have to do that to change your Microsoft account which is used by everything on the phone...
It is used to backup your text messages, backup photos, sync contacts and calendars etc.

We are currently on BES 5, but are in the process of removing it off our server. All our email is through Outlook, so I am assuming that we will be connected with our servers through Active Sync. Not sure what this does in terms of setting up separate email accounts.

I do not yet have a Microsoft account (or an Xbox), but I imagine it will not be to difficult to set up. What is the app selection like compared to BB? I imagine it is quite similar.

Thanks again

ag1986

Banned
Jan 14, 2013
Visit site
We are currently on BES 5, but are in the process of removing it off our server. All our email is through Outlook, so I am assuming that we will be connected with our servers through Active Sync. Not sure what this does in terms of setting up separate email accounts.

I do not yet have a Microsoft account (or an Xbox), but I imagine it will not be to difficult to set up. What is the app selection like compared to BB? I imagine it is quite similar.

Thanks again

Most 'major' apps are there or have third party ones, the trouble is with those niche apps (banks and similar, mainly).

I'd be interested in hearing about your email experience, especially coming from a BB, since that's one of the main reasons I dropped WP8 (lack of ability to attach docs while replying to a message, docs attached go out as Skydrive links instead of proper attachments, and similar issues)

DWPGQ

Nov 5, 2013
Visit site
Most 'major' apps are there or have third party ones, the trouble is with those niche apps (banks and similar, mainly).

I'd be interested in hearing about your email experience, especially coming from a BB, since that's one of the main reasons I dropped WP8 (lack of ability to attach docs while replying to a message, docs attached go out as Skydrive links instead of proper attachments, and similar issues)

That is not the kind of info that I was wanting to hear! The main use of my mobile device is for email, and that is one thing that Blackberry did and still dose very well. I absolutely need the ability to attach documents to emails when replying. Was it just the email client that you were using, or is this a WP8 issue?

ag1986

Banned
Jan 14, 2013
Visit site
That is not the kind of info that I was wanting to hear! The main use of my mobile device is for email, and that is one thing that Blackberry did and still dose very well. I absolutely need the ability to attach documents to emails when replying. Was it just the email client that you were using, or is this a WP8 issue?

This is a WP8 issue. This OS is not designed for corporate usage. Please do reconsider.

luk3ja

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site

You can email a document just not currently in reply to a received message but do be aware that a MASSIVE update is coming early next year that will add lots of business features as well as other useful features.

DWPGQ

Nov 5, 2013
Visit site
You can email a document just not currently in reply to a received message but do be aware that a MASSIVE update is coming early next year that will add lots of business features as well as other useful features.

I have to say that so far I am really impressed with this Nokia and WP8. Coming from a Z-10, it was drastically different from what I am used to, but after a couple of days with it, I am really starting to enjoy it. There are definitely a few things missing currently from a corporate standpoint, but the OS is much smoother than I expected. It is much more refined than BB10, and I prefer many things about WP8 over my wife's IOS7 Iphone 5. I have not really used an Android phone of any kind before, so can't comment on that.

The two things I really miss about the Z-10 are the virtual keyboard and the slide gestures to operate the OS. I could punch out emails quickly on that thing, even more so then on my old Bold 9900. Also loved the Blackberry Travel App and BBM of course.

Having said that though, this Lumia 1020 rocks! Way better than I expected, and the camera is unbelievable as well. I would definitely recommend this phone to people who have never considered it before. Goodbye Blackberry.

Paul

DWPGQ

Nov 5, 2013
Visit site
Trying to download podcasts using tunein radio with no luck at all. Keeps telling me that the server is unavailable or an error occurred.

I was using Nobex Radio on my Z-10 with no issues. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

WanderingTraveler

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
(I've only seen this thread now, so forgive me for a late welcome.)

Hmm. You should try reinstalling the app or look for other podcatchers. I believe I've seen some over at AAWP.

DWPGQ

Nov 5, 2013
Visit site
I have had almost a month now with my 1020, and there are a few things that I just cannot come to terms with. Is there any better way of closing an app other than repeatedly hitting the back button? What a terrible over site on Microsoft's part to not come up with a better way of closing apps! (unless of course I am just not doing things correctly). I really miss my Z-10 in this regard.
Then there is the keyboard......is there really no better way to edit your text other than erasing sections and re-typing? Editing on the Z-10 was so simple. Simply touch the screen anywhere and a circle appeared that you could then just drag to the area you need/want to edit. With WP8, you touch the screen and it just wants to copy text!! Again, maybe I am just doing things wrong here and would appreciate any advice that could improve this experience.
I hate to say it, but I also find selecting apps to be very cumbersome compared to the way it was done on the Z10. Same with using Contacts! I can't stand the people tile....I just want to look for a contact, not this What's New, Recent or Together crap. Just display my darn contacts! As I use this as a business phone, this is one area that could use a major overhaul (along with text editing)
As we now have 20 something of these phones in our office (not counting the ones in the field), it sure would be nice if you could do customized notifications for email and text. I never know who's phone is going off at the lunch table. This was fully customizable on the Z-10. There are a few more gripes, but I will leave it at that for the time being.

Now for the things that I do like. The operating system is buttery smooth, much more so than the Z10 was. The camera on the 1020 is off the charts awesome. I was at Disney World recently and my camera was outperforming most of the actual dedicated Cannon and Nikon cameras. Plus I could carry mine every where. The battery life is pretty good, especially compared to the Z-10. The build quality of the phone is top notch, except for being slippery. I dropped it face down onto concrete twice the first day I had it...ouch, but not a scratch and no case either. I was just to used to the rubberized and grippy Z-10. I have a soft silicone case coming to resolve this.

I would appreciate any feed back on whether or not I am just doing things incorrectly on this phone as it will be with me for a while.

Regards,

Paul

TechAbstract

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
I have had almost a month now with my 1020, and there are a few things that I just cannot come to terms with. Is there any better way of closing an app other than repeatedly hitting the back button? What a terrible over site on Microsoft's part to not come up with a better way of closing apps! (unless of course I am just not doing things correctly). I really miss my Z-10 in this regard.
Then there is the keyboard......is there really no better way to edit your text other than erasing sections and re-typing? Editing on the Z-10 was so simple. Simply touch the screen anywhere and a circle appeared that you could then just drag to the area you need/want to edit. With WP8, you touch the screen and it just wants to copy text!! Again, maybe I am just doing things wrong here and would appreciate any advice that could improve this experience.
I hate to say it, but I also find selecting apps to be very cumbersome compared to the way it was done on the Z10. Same with using Contacts! I can't stand the people tile....I just want to look for a contact, not this What's New, Recent or Together crap. Just display my darn contacts! As I use this as a business phone, this is one area that could use a major overhaul (along with text editing)
As we now have 20 something of these phones in our office (not counting the ones in the field), it sure would be nice if you could do customized notifications for email and text. I never know who's phone is going off at the lunch table. This was fully customizable on the Z-10. There are a few more gripes, but I will leave it at that for the time being.

Now for the things that I do like. The operating system is buttery smooth, much more so than the Z10 was. The camera on the 1020 is off the charts awesome. I was at Disney World recently and my camera was outperforming most of the actual dedicated Cannon and Nikon cameras. Plus I could carry mine every where. The battery life is pretty good, especially compared to the Z-10. The build quality of the phone is top notch, except for being slippery. I dropped it face down onto concrete twice the first day I had it...ouch, but not a scratch and no case either. I was just to used to the rubberized and grippy Z-10. I have a soft silicone case coming to resolve this.

I would appreciate any feed back on whether or not I am just doing things incorrectly on this phone as it will be with me for a while.

Regards,

Paul

You don't need to click on the text to retype the whole thing. You can press and hold for two seconds on the text box until you get a cursor and move it where you want to edit. Custom text ringtone and close apps with X button are in GDR3 update. There are other options like pin your friends to homescreen or create a "Group" and put them in there if you're having issues with People Hub.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb