Hi folks new here and considering windows

jphillips1963

Jan 8, 2014
Visit site
I've been using Android for many years and although I like it I'm open to trying something different.
I've been reading where window users have switched to android for various reasons and I like to address these with questions.
One is tile notifications, I'm reading they are very buggy and actually aren't working as set. Example is say espn you have a particular game set for notifications and when one comes thru you only have a few seconds to view and it's gone and if you select the tile instead of taking to the game it takes you to the app.

Next is I tether to my iPad from my android phone via a hotspot do the windows phone allow this?

How is texting on a windows phone? I have been known to text a few hundred texts in a days time. So that's a big have to have on my end.
I'm hearing to the camera is a bit over hyped again I'm not buying a phone for a camera but I do like above avg looking photos. Any input be helpful.

BTW I'm on Verizon and I'm awaiting for the 929 if it ever happens.

James

Last edited:

Connor Price

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site
Obviously it depends from person to person, but using WP after android was a nice change for me. Nothing big, just a nice change. However, after using WP and then using android quickly on a nexus, I don't think I'll be going back to android. WP is much nicer to use in my opinion. It's smoother, more responsive and just an overall better experience. I've not had a problem with tile notifications, but then I'm using an older Lumia 800 running WP 7.8. For texting, I think WP is great. The keyboard is great and accurate and the messaging app is very good and straight forward. WP does have hotspot and it works great with my iPad Mini. In terms of the camera, obviously it depends on the device. But in terms of overall quality, even photos taken on the 520 look pretty decent. The 920 and above have brilliant cameras. Hope this is helpful :)

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
I've been using Android for many years and although I like it I'm open to trying something different.
I've been reading where window users have switched to android for various reasons and I like to address these with questions.
One is tile notifications, I'm reading they are very buggy and actually aren't working as set. Example is say espn you have a particular game set for notifications and when one comes thru you only have a few seconds to view and it's gone and if you select the tile instead of taking to the game it takes you to the app.

Next is I tether to my iPad from my android phone via a hotspot do the windows phone allow this?

How is texting on a windows phone? I have been known to text a few hundred texts in a days time. So that's a big have to have on my end.
I'm hearing to the camera is a bit over hyped again I'm not buying a phone for a camera but I do like above avg looking photos. Any input be helpful.

BTW I'm on Verizon and I'm awaiting for the 929 if it ever happens.

James
James, welcome to WPCentral.
Personally, I've not had any problems with live tiles, but yes, what you read about toast notifications is true - if you don't view it right away, you'll not see it unless the app has a way of displaying it from within the app. Since I'm not a sports fan, I can't help you on the different sports apps, but as a developer I can tell you that if the developer wanted to he could make it so that you could see the notifications again. I'm just not familiar with any of the sports apps.

Tethering to your iPad shouldn't be a problem. It is carrier dependent, and there are no workarounds - if you don't have that service from your carrier, you will not get it on Windows Phone, unlike Android where you can use apps to make it work without the carrier knowing. Being on Verizon myself, I can tell you that if you are grandfathered into an unlimited data plan, you won't be able to use tethering without paying the extra fee. If you are on a family shared data plan, tethering is included.

Cameras? I love the one on my 928. It's a great phone, and while I haven't looked at the specs of the 929 at all, I do know that it will have the 20MP camera, so even better than mine on the 928. I've taken some pretty impressive pictures on the 928, and if you want to see what people have done with it, go over to the 928 forum, and there is a sticky thread of pics taken with the phone. Many are QUITE impressive. That will give you an idea of what you can do with the 929, but 929 should do it even better, with exception of those shots where the xenon flash made the difference - 929 has LED flash, so to me that's a step down.

I've been happy with my 928, and was happy with the 822 before that. At this point, though, being a photographer, I want the 41MP that the 1020 has, but I'm stuck with Verizon due to coverage in my area.

Again, welcome to WPCentral!

jphillips1963

Jan 8, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for the welcome and answers.
To answer some of the questions within again I'm on Verizon and I still have my unlimited data plan along with paying for unlimited tethering as well. So I'm careful on being sure I keep those features no matter what.
Here are a few more questions. If I have do a factory data reset to a windows phone does it still have a backup to all my contacts my apps etc...... on Google I can buy a new phone and install all my precious apps I had on my other phone along with it installing all my contacts.

sent from RAZR Maxx HD using Tapatalk Pro

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
To answer some of the questions within again I'm on Verizon and I still have my unlimited data plan along with paying for unlimited tethering as well. So I'm careful on being sure I keep those features no matter what.
Here are a few more questions. If I have do a factory data reset to a windows phone does it still have a backup to all my contacts my apps etc...... on Google I can buy a new phone and install all my precious apps I had on my other phone along with it installing all my contacts.

Your contacts will sync to your Microsoft account, so you can even go to outlook.com and see them in your address book. So yes, they will be backed up.

evillama

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
Just searched through WPC for "Verizon" and came across this thread. I'm an extremely longtime Verizon user and am due for an upgrade on Feb. 28 from my (very reliable, going to seriously miss it) HTC Trophy. The wife has an 8X and daughter has an 822, so I'm living in constant envy around the house with all the wireless charging going on and new apps they're downloading. The only advantage I still have is my Unlimited Data plan - which my wife had to give up when moving from her Trophy to the 8X. Soon my son will be needing a phone which is when we'll move to a Shared Data plan - but not just yet.

After streaming some videos on a long car ride today, I realized I may not want to give up my plan and just look for a new phone on eBay or Craigslist. Was looking at the 928, but I have to admit - I just love the "compactness" of the Trophy. It's fairly thin and not too bulky. I only use an Incipio feather sleeve to keep it slim. Seems everyone is going HUGE in phones these days (929?) and nobody is thinking "small". The 928 doesn't seem too large compared to the Trophy, but the big problem is lack of choices.

So advice - should I just move to the 928? Since I'm going to do what I can to keep the Unlimited Data plan, I guess I can upgrade again whenever something else comes along? Thoughts? and thanks.

ENV

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site

Sign in using your Microsoft account which is what I do.
Sync your contacts using your Google account which is again what I do and my Lumia 810 backs up contacts quite nicely with Google. As for apps you will need to find WP equivalents. So far I only miss Vonage Extensions (I switched 3 months ago from a Nexus 4). I am not a big gamer so I cannot help out there.

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
Just searched through WPC for "Verizon" and came across this thread. I'm an extremely longtime Verizon user and am due for an upgrade on Feb. 28 from my (very reliable, going to seriously miss it) HTC Trophy. The wife has an 8X and daughter has an 822, so I'm living in constant envy around the house with all the wireless charging going on and new apps they're downloading. The only advantage I still have is my Unlimited Data plan - which my wife had to give up when moving from her Trophy to the 8X. Soon my son will be needing a phone which is when we'll move to a Shared Data plan - but not just yet.

After streaming some videos on a long car ride today, I realized I may not want to give up my plan and just look for a new phone on eBay or Craigslist. Was looking at the 928, but I have to admit - I just love the "compactness" of the Trophy. It's fairly thin and not too bulky. I only use an Incipio feather sleeve to keep it slim. Seems everyone is going HUGE in phones these days (929?) and nobody is thinking "small". The 928 doesn't seem too large compared to the Trophy, but the big problem is lack of choices.

So advice - should I just move to the 928? Since I'm going to do what I can to keep the Unlimited Data plan, I guess I can upgrade again whenever something else comes along? Thoughts? and thanks.

ENV

Get a gently used 822 or HTC 8X for a compact phone. Look on eBay, Swappa or the Forums here. I like my 810 quite a bit. If you want a new 8X or ATIV S Expansys USA has them at a good price these days.

jphillips1963

Jan 8, 2014
Visit site
Does anyone know if the new 929 will allow simultaneously talking and browsing the internet together? That's a feature I use often on my android phone on Verizon and I need this feature as well for windows?
also is there a tapatalk app for windows?

evillama

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
I just tried this with my 928 (picked one up in excellent condition on eBay for $175!) and it works fine. Got on a call and browsed the web, downloaded e-mail, and updated the weather.

Not sure about tapatalk.

ENV

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Does anyone know if the new 929 will allow simultaneously talking and browsing the internet together? That's a feature I use often on my android phone on Verizon and I need this feature as well for windows?
also is there a tapatalk app for windows?

Yes. Simultaneous voice/data is possible.

Tapatalk is free for Windows Phone. Tapatalk | Windows Phone Apps+Games Store (United States)

Genghis7777

Jul 31, 2013
Visit site
. If I have do a factory data reset to a windows phone does it still have a backup to all my contacts my apps etc......

I have replaced a Windows Phone with another. I backed up beforehand and when I slipped my SIM into the new phone and restored it from the backup on Sky Drive. All apps recognized the phone and I didn't have to buy them again, however I think I had to individually install them again.

Sent from my Lumia 520 using Tapatalk

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon