Hi, I'm Developing the Windows Central App!

Daniel Ratcliffe

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
Is there any chance this could be expanded to cover the entire Mobile Nations network? I could see this being highly useful to people. If not, are there public API documentation available to expand this to the entirety of Mobile Nations?

Bob Domico

Jul 30, 2015
Visit site
After you are finished, is there any chance you could tell us about the challenges you faced? Maybe even show us some code for some parts? I've been a .NET developer for several years and making universal apps is something I would like to learn more about.

johnmurphy01

Dec 19, 2014
Visit site
I just want to say that Daniel Gary is the best at everything. Everyone should aspire to be like him. In all ways. He in no way took over my Windows Central account to post this.

AccentAE86

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
Wow, that is a great bit of news that Daniel Gary is writing the app. Looking forward to it!

One thing I would REALLY REALLY REALLY like is when reading the blog, always open the app to where you last loaded the articles. And have it synced across devices. I read WC on my phone, surface, and desktop. I'm logged in on all locations, so it would be great to sync it all. Sometimes, I'm really busy and I miss reading for a couple days. Right now, I load up the app or site, and sit there scrolling endlessly trying to remember where I last left off. It usually ends with me giving up in frustration and skipping all the cool articles from the past couple days.

Thank you for coming here and reaching out to us. Appreciate it!

Alexander Long

Feb 28, 2014
Visit site
Will all links of windows central automatically open to the app instead of the browser unless choose to. Much like the link of windows store will open the store app.

Hurried Sense

Oct 27, 2015
Visit site
Does the app now show the comments properly so it's easy to understand who is replying to whom? And I mean in the way the desktop website displays comments (or better), not the way the mobile site does. I mean the whole reason to use an app for a website is so it loads everything properly.

Hurried Sense

Oct 27, 2015
Visit site
Links open in a browser, not in the app. This is actually a better experience IMHO, but I'm open to feedback on the issue.
A better approach may be to follow the Disqus way. See the Disqus app on Windows Phone. Try to open a link from the comments (not the article but the comments). It shows a stripped down Reading-View-like version of the article and has a button you can tap to go to the browser instead.
I really recommend you to look at the way Disqus handles links once. I really like that approach.

klaw81

Jan 22, 2015
Visit site
Will we be seeing an extra present to unwrap on Christmas Day??? New app version 1.0?

Important app aspects to me are:
- Cleaner page transitions
- Working 'Download App' links to Windows Store
- Would be nice to see full post details on all replys from a poster - example: Web version of the forum I can't see full post details of one user, including yourself, have to click 'more'.
- Being able to choose what Youbtube app and what browser to open links in would be great.

Am sure the suggestions will keep on flowing Daniel. Looking forward to seeing what you can do. :cool:

Last edited:

Rogarh

Mar 13, 2013
Visit site
Hello! Glad to know you are working on the WC app. The number one item I have always criticized is that, -for reasons I can't understand enough-, it's just not possible to click the web links/URLs inside the articles. It can't be done! How is that something so simple is not available?? So please, fix this and we'll be happy.

Thanks a million!

Rogarh

Mar 13, 2013
Visit site
Another request: can the app's Live Tile support pictures of current articles? (That would be neat.) Currently it's just the site's transparent logo showing the number of unread blog entries.

Axeelant

Nov 20, 2014
Visit site
The new universal app with all said earlier would be highly appreciated :) Looking forward to one more great app for this platform. Keep up the good work :grin:

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Are you also going to have Windows 10/Windows 10 Mobile apps for our sister sites? I know that there are Android apps for each site. It would be nice to have Windows apps for all sites, since many members are interested in all sites, not just this one.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kasha963