Hi, I'm iPhone Rene, and You're Windows Phone? -- Round Robin

Luis A Rivera

Feb 10, 2010
Visit site
I'm truly amazed at the versatility of WM phones at this point. The ability to modify WM phones provides an unexpected sense of freedom I did not have using other phone platforms. However, I'm constantly searching new ways to modify my TP2 which in turn nullifies the main reason way I purchased the phone in the first place: productivity. For better or worse, my TP2 has become more of a toy than a tool.

NoNoiPhone4me

Jan 30, 2005
Visit site
My own take on WinMo vs. the iPhone

I am a Windows Mobile user, owning an AT&T Fuze to be exact, but my wife is an iPhone lover. In fact, we switched from Sprint to AT&T just so she could get an iPhone. And truthfully, while I think the iPhone platform is lacking, I can see why the "love" for the Apple iPhone.

Ironically, I think the greatest strength of the WinMo phones -- their differences from one another -- is their greatest weakness: they are just so varied from one another. With WinMo phones, you never seem to get "everything" that's advertised.

For example, take the AT&T Tilt 2 and the HTC HD2: my personal two favorite WinMo devices and, incidentally, the two WinMo phones in the current Round Robin. The Tilt 2 has a nice keyboard (which I personally prefer) and a great speakerphone setup. However, it lacks the capacitance screen of the HD2. Moreover, from what I am hearing, there are still many (most?) third-party Windows Mobile applications that cannot use the capacitance screen of the HD2. So whichever one you may ultimately choose, there is a sense that you are compromising because of what it lacks when compared to the other.

With the Apple iPhone, you don't have that problem. Yes, a 32GB iPhone 3Gs is superior to a 16 GB iPhone 3G but it is just that, superior. There is no sense of compromising when you choose one over the other; you know what you are getting. Whatever iPhone you choose, you are getting the best iPhone you can get for the money you are willing to spend. You simply cannot say the same for a WinMo phone and, ultimately, I think that hurts their sales.

And I praise the iPhone even while I am not overly impressed by the UI. To me, HTC Sense makes their WinMo phones just as "friendly" (and more versatile) than the iPhone UI.

Of course, the iPhone has a truly amazing store and the "brilliance" of the screen is definitely better than anything I have seen on a WinMo phone. That helps the iPhone, too. But I think that one of the reasons that iPhones are outselling WinMo phone (and Android phones, too, for that matter) is that with a WinMo phone you are always feeling that you had to compromise something.

bassoprofundo

Feb 11, 2010
Visit site
Another user with a divided household... I'd have to pry my wife's Iphone from her cold, dead hands, and I'm having a hard time getting away from WinMo permanently. Besides my current WinMo phone (Palm Treo Pro), I have an Iphone and have experience with several Symbian devices, Blackberries, and even (gasp) PalmOS devices. There are things I love about the other platforms, but I just keep coming back to Windows Mobile. In it's current state, there's nothing thrilling about it, but it just works for what I need.

My primary requirement at the moment is flawless Outlook sync. Since I don't have a corporate phone at the moment, and since my company would sooner execute minions than allow them to connect personal phones to the corporate Exchange environment, I need desktop sync. I found the Iphone quite useful (and much more fun) on a daily basis, but the Itunes sync process absolutely destroyed my corporate exchange calendar not once, but twice, and I swear it'll never happen again. None of the other platforms handle recurring appointments natively the way that the Activesync/WMDC + mobile Outlook combo does. The Itunes sync actually caused recurring appointments sent by others to skew by a couple of hours while still showing the correct time on the Iphone (and yes, I checked my time zone config AND everything else). In the end, there was no solution but to restore my own appointments and have everyone else resend theirs, which was embarrassing to say the least. While not as drastic on the other platforms, I found that the Nokia suite, Palm Desktop, and the BB Desktop Sync all had their own set of issues while the WinMo solution kept on chugging.

Add the above to the fact that I can pretty much do whatever I want with any of my Windows Mobile devices. No draconian carrier or vendor restrictions, vibrant 3rd-party dev/hack communities (i.e.- XDA devs), free unlock solutions... If I don't like it, I can change it. With the exception of Android devices, which are really just now starting to come into their own, no other major platform offers that flexibility. It got really old having to "break the rules" on my iphone just to change my homescreen, springboard, or to do something simple like add thumbnails to my contact list view. Argh... makes me mad just thinking about it! I'll end my rant now, but while I love to toy with other platforms, I'll be sticking with WinMo for now and am hoping for big things out of WM7!

bschiav

Feb 15, 2008
Visit site
Trying really hard to restrain from jokes about Rene's profile picture...but...okay...I can be civil.

No, something has to be said...seriously...I thought WinMo users were geeks...it looks like a 13 year old girl's Bedazzled Myspace photo...sorry

anyways...the real point of this post was to get something in for the contest.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JacobColline