How can I fix a Lumia 950 Photo problem?

Shandybang

Dec 26, 2015
Visit site
Lumia 950 Photo problem

All my newly taken photos are gone from my camera roll.
Ive got the phone set to "save to sd" and upload to Onedrive.

I can view them and edit them for a couple of days, then they disappear.
The thumbnail is just a black square with a ! in the middle.
When I click on the thumbnail it say's "we can't show you this file at the moment.
Please try again later."

All my older pictures taken on other phones and cameras appear ok.

Hope some one can help.
Thanks

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
Re: Lumia 950 Photo problem

All my newly taken photos are gone from my camera roll.
Ive got the phone set to "save to sd" and upload to Onedrive.

I can view them and edit them for a couple of days, then they disappear.
The thumbnail is just a black square with a ! in the middle.
When I click on the thumbnail it say's "we can't show you this file at the moment.
Please try again later."

All my older pictures taken on other phones and cameras appear ok.

Hope some one can help.
Thanks

are you on insider builds? Does this happen for all photos taken using different camera apps? Does it still happen if you use internal storage? And can you see the files using file explorer app?

Shandybang

Dec 26, 2015
Visit site

Hi,
thanks for the reply.
I can see the black thumbnails with the ! in the middle through file explorer.
Ive been using the pre-installed camera app, so will try another one.
I will also change the save to settings.
Not on the Insider builds (don't really know what that is).

Hopefully this will help.

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site

Hi,
thanks for the reply.
I can see the black thumbnails with the ! in the middle through file explorer.
Ive been using the pre-installed camera app, so will try another one.
I will also change the save to settings.
Not on the Insider builds (don't really know what that is).

Hopefully this will help.

your card seems faulty

Tijs Tijert

Aug 28, 2016
Visit site
I recently bought a Lumia 950 and put in a 128GB SD-card specifically for storage of pictures and video's taken. Then I went on holiday... shot about 400 pictures and some 20 video's, but all of them are not viewable. The data is there but can not be read. I first thought it was something with the phone, so I copied everything to my PC, with same results. Photo's and Video's can not be viewed. And I get the same Exclamation point messages as Shandybang.

You told him his card is faulty.
So I also set the default storage location of photo's and video's on my phone back to "Device" and took some new photo's. And low and behold... these pictures remain healthy.

So apparently, there is an issue in the communication between the lumia 950 and an inserted SD-card. It might be that my SD-card, just as Shandybang's is faulty... but I fear that that is not it. When I insert the card into another phone, make and store photo's on it, and then transfer these to my pc they are all healthy. So I ruled out the possibility that my card is faulty. Which only leaves the Lumia 950, or it's default photo app that causes the issue.

Now I have the following questions, since I know my problem and Shandybang's isn't going to be solved here...
  1. Where should I address this issue at Microsoft?
  2. Can I get a refund on my phone from Microsoft, since I purchased the phone specifically for its camera and the ability to insert a high capacity sd-card?
  3. Can the images still be repaired somehow? (could Microsoft do that?)

Mesbah

Dec 31, 2015
Visit site
Same happened to my vacation photos mostly gone. Here is my solution:
  • make a hard reset of phone
  • install latest OS
  • install your purchased apps on main device do NOT install apps on SDXC card (for now)
  • Use a non Lexar SDXC good quality card only
  • during OS install ask phone to format SDXC card
  • Never edit this SCXC card on a PC. Insert it into phone leave there.
  • any copy/delete/etc of files & folders into SDXC card must be via USB cable while SDXC card is inside phone.
  • reset your 1Drive upload [1Drive>>About>>Reset]
  • set photos be saved on SD card
  • Until you are sure all is normal just show photos on SD card in Photos AND make sure you see each photo properly on D: drive (=SD card).
  • If a photo does not show up on SD card after couple of days then SD card is defective.
  • try reformat SD card inside phone only...if problem fixed then SD is OK else replace SD
  • install maps..etc other than apps on SDXC card.
  • keep a copy of files other than photos on your PC in case you need reformat SDXC card again.
  • if above steps followed then Photos app usually keeps photos on SDXC and upload copies into 1Drive overnight.

ashram

Jan 30, 2013
Visit site
Something that wasn't mentioned and could also be a possibility.... Fake Micro SD cards.

Always make sure you buy your sd cards from reputable sites, and check for warranty info (via the manufacturer) I know a few people that ended up with fake 128GB micro sd cards from amazon resellers and ebay....

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs