How can we help tackling fake apps out of app store?

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Please excuse my ignorance, i don't use a lot of apps. Are you saying that unlike apple or google, basically there is no testing\policing of apps in our app store?

Google only tests apps that are reported with problems. Microsoft and Apple test every app. To what extent, I don't know, but I have had apps rejected from the Windows Phone Store for simple little oversights on my part.

MyNL822

Jul 22, 2013
Visit site
Many things in the appstore need to be fixed:
  • Fake Reviews in the appstore
  • misleading/fake apps
  • Too many unnecessary 3rd party apps
The fake reviews and misleading/fake apps need to be fixed soon, I hope the WP store becomes more like windows 8 store for rating reviews and hopefully easier reporting of apps.

ShreyansShah

Aug 12, 2013
Visit site
Please excuse my ignorance, i don't use a lot of apps. Are you saying that unlike apple or google, basically there is no testing\policing of apps in our app store?
do u mean to say Android has a testing or policing of apps?
i dont believe it. otherwise how can android app store rise by 3 lac apps in 8-9 months.
they do not test apps at all. and in the android store, u can see numerous apps with same name, icons and many similarity. developers just change a line of code in existing app, and upload it with their own name to get the credit of an published app.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Many things in the appstore need to be fixed:
  • Fake Reviews in the appstore
  • misleading/fake apps
  • Too many unnecessary 3rd party apps
The fake reviews and misleading/fake apps need to be fixed soon, I hope the WP store becomes more like windows 8 store for rating reviews and hopefully easier reporting of apps.
First, the snarky side of me has to ask, "Is Google without all of these problems??" :wink:

Sorry - just had to get that out of my system.

Second, now that you mention it, I believe I've heard in a podcast somewhere, whether it was maybe Windows Weekly, or perhaps Windows Developer Show, I don't recall, but I'm thinking I heard that there was a ratings system in the works for raters. I could be wrong, but somehow I think I've heard it.

FinancialP

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
Less than apple, more than android

Less than Apple, Google takes action after an app is published. See my links below.

do u mean to say Android has a testing or policing of apps?
i dont believe it. otherwise how can android app store rise by 3 lac apps in 8-9 months.
they do not test apps at all. and in the android store, u can see numerous apps with same name, icons and many similarity. developers just change a line of code in existing app, and upload it with their own name to get the credit of an published app.

Joking or do you have the Play Store confused with Windows Phone App store?

Android
https://play.google.com/store/search?q=facebook&c=apps&hl=en

Windows Phone
Search results for "facebook" | Windows Phone Apps+Games Store (United States)

We can go further

Android
https://play.google.com/store/search?q=speed%20test&c=apps&hl=en

Windows Phone
Search results for "speedtest" | Windows Phone Apps+Games Store (United States)

iOS is similar to Android results. Windows Phone is jarring.

Paul May

Lumia 950 & Surface Pro Champion
Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
I agree, but the problem is that I don't necessarily think that Microsoft should be the police agency to enforce IP rights. Just one example of why is take an app that isn't developed by the IP owner, but the developer may have approached the IP owner and worked with them on development, and has permission to use the IP involved. Microsoft isn't a party to that agreement, and really shouldn't be, since they are just the proprietor of the store where the goods are being sold. That puts the burden of enforcing IP rights on the owner of the IP. Yes, that's a daunting task, and I wouldn't want to have to monitor all of the possible outlets where rights can be infringed, but with the help of people like us in the community, those IP owners can be notified of possible violations, and they can choose whether to send a C&D or not.

I agree that MS should not be the policing agent, but I don't think the developers/companies of these pretty big official apps would have such a hard time patrolling the three main app stores and sending out generic C&D orders. It would only take 2-3 people working continuously for a few months until people got the gist that their apps would not stay up for long.

AndrewL920

Dec 7, 2013
Visit site
There are a lot of fake apps in Windows Phone Store and what makes it worse is that it is a paid app! Most common fake apps are browsers. They using the exact name and logo/icon. There are also a lot of misleading apps. It makes Windows Phone Store clutters.

windoors

Dec 24, 2013
Visit site

vk1971

Aug 24, 2013
Visit site
My way of tackling with bogus and fake apps is to download only those apps which pop up on the sites like WPC and a couple of others.
Second, I always visit actual websites o f companies whos supposed apps are in the Store which I'm going to download. To make it clear, let's say I want to download some Chat-With-Me-Im-Here app. I go to their site and then follow their link to the Store. I'm aware that often official apps are crap and 3rd side are better, but at least it'll give you some directions.

@windoors you are doing good job though, bro

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss