How do I change the language during Windows 10 setup - Nokia 930?

• Thread starter Windows Central Question
  • Start date
W

Windows Central Question

How to Change Language During Windows 10 setup - Nokia 930

I joined the Windows Insider fast track to get the latest update for W10 on my Nokia 930. It appears to have worked (I cannot tell - see below). Following advice seen elsewhere I did a phone reset after updating. That brought me to the setup screen - which was all in Asian characters which I can cannot read. For W8.1 I was able to scroll to find English, but that didn't seem possible. I pushed a button and am now stuck with a screen full of Asian characters that appears to want to take me to making a call (one button brings up a dial pad). I cannot get beyond that so I cannot get into settings to change language. I'm stuck.

I'd appreciate suggestions beyond finding someone who reads Chinese/Japanese. Can I force a complete reset (not restart which I've tried) so that I get back to the initial setup screen? If so, can how do I get to English as my language of choice.

BTW - I bought the phone in the US through Amazon so I've always been a bit surprised that it defaults to Asian characters.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Re: How to Change Language During Windows 10 setup - Nokia 930

Revert to 8.1 and wait for official Win 10 Mo.

And no, it is not a surprise that a Lumia 930 purchased off Amazon would default to a language besides English. The only US 930 is exclusive to Verizon and is called the Icon. Outside of that there is a whole wide world out there...

If you want to monkey around with it:

Power down > Hold Volume Down button > tap Power > when it boots to the exclamation (!) screen immediately release the Volume Down key and plug in to make sure you have power > tap in order Volume Up / Volume Down / Power / Volume Down > you will see the spinning gears and then the set up.

Get another Windows Phone if you have one handy and install Bing Translator on it. Use the camera function in Translator to read the select language screen on the 930 until you identify English (United States) and select that.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ailanamargarett